Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #11

I too have a Solera on a 2014 Sprinter chassis with 6,200 miles. Thought my brakes were a bit unusual as well; on first application the pedal goes down pretty far with minimal brake action; on immediate second push, the brakes grab much earlier in pedal motion and feel much firmer. I will get to MB dealer ASAP.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

MB redesigned the Sprinter for 2014. Mercedes redesigns Sprinter van for 2014 as competition ramps up - Los Angeles Times Maybe that has something to do with it. Usually how this plays out is; after numerious compliants by owners, a redesign is intiated to deal with the issue.

Only time will tell on this one, unfortunately. I suspect that the braking force in pre'14 Sprinters, was sufficient to produce enough braking power when the fully loaded 3500 (1 ton) needs it most. It still seems interesting that it started in the redesigned '14 model year. Just sayin'

Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

soft brakes

soft pedal and having to stand on the brakes is not normal,please get it fixed
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #14

As most of you know, not all Mercedes dealers service Sprinters. I finally had a chance to make the 2 hour drive on Monday to my nearest authorized service provider to have the brakes checked and the required ecm software update. After a couple hours in the shop, they said it was done. I asked what was wrong with the brakes. They said the brakes were fine and it's just because it's a heavy unit.
Well, fooey on that, I said! I had them bring the shop foreman out for a powwow. I asked him to pick out a Sprinter off the lot and we'd see if the brake pedal sinks to the floor like mine. Of course it did not, so they rolled mine back into the service bay.
Two hours later they reported to me that the brake booster would need to be replaced. The part had to be ordered in, so they gave me a new C class loaner car to drive home.
Yesterday they called me, said they had the part, but discovered they needed to order another part, too. I didn't think to ask what other part was needed or why, but I'll go over everything with them when I pick up the unit and report back the results.
In the meantime, I'm driving the C300 like I stole it!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #15

Picked up the Solera today. Not good yet.
The dealer replaced the master cylinder, servo unit and the booster. They said while testing it the booster "exploded" (their description, not mine, but they got it fixed, they said).
Started my 2 hour drive home at 5 pm. Ten minutes into the trip I get TWO malfunction lights: ESP and ASR malfunctions, both brake system related. And with those malfunctions, the cruise control does not work. Engine power gets cut, too, when those malfunction!
Good news is the brakes have a better feel---not as firm a I'd like, but better stopping power.
Called the dealer on the cell when the lights popped on (really nice folks, btw), they said bring it back, but bad storms heading into NW Arkansas where the dealer is, so gonna head on home before it gets late (they even offered to send someone tomorrow to pick up the RV at my home, 2 hours away!!!).
Like I said, nice people at the dealer, but disappointed that the brake system is not right.
I'll take it back again Friday. I'm sure hoping I get to put some miles on this rig other than just back and forth between the Sprinter service and FR service centers!
At least I get a cool loaner MB car while the RV is in the shop!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #16

The ESP and ASR malfunction lights were on due to a bad switch on the brake pedal. They said it was not related to the other brake work, but hard to believe.
Anyway, all is good now with the brakes.

Just to clarify from an earlier post, the "new" booster was the one that exploded when they installed it due to a malfunctioning master cylinder.
BTW, that was what I told them I suspected was the problem in the first place!
Anyway, with a new master cylinder and booster I'm ready to travel. Well, I will be just as soon as I install the Hellwig sway bar that I ordered yesterday.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #17

If the replacement booster "exploded" and that part was ordered in for your vehicle, the brakes were fixed how? Just wondering, since it seems to be an issue with newer '14 Sprinter posters in here.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

The dealer service department originally thought only the booster was bad, so they ordered a new one. While testing the new booster, they said the old master cylinder "exploded" the new booster, so they ordered and installed another booster plus a new master cylinder and servo.

Brakes are great now.

If your brakes are soft, don't let them blow you off by telling you it's just all the extra weight.

Additionally, although mine is a 2014 model Solera, it is built on a 2013 Sprinter chassis, so it's not just 14's that may have soft brakes.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

I've noticed soft brake pedal also on my 2014-R, although I have no trouble stopping, but the pedal feels soft under the foot. I can let up right away upon braking and press again and I get a firmer pedal. I thought they needed to be bled but the MB dealer checked them out and said it was a systemic condition (nature of the beast) according to them.
Those are my results - I hope to hear from others as they get their Solera's checked out.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #20

Ours is the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhop25 View Post
I've noticed soft brake pedal also on my 2014-R, although I have no trouble stopping, but the pedal feels soft under the foot. I can let up right away upon braking and press again and I get a firmer pedal. I thought they needed to be bled but the MB dealer checked them out and said it was a systemic condition (nature of the beast) according to them.
Those are my results - I hope to hear from others as they get their Solera's checked out.
Brought the MH to two different MB/Sprinter dealers for this and other issues. Both indicated that a soft pedal was normal. I don't like it, but it does seem to stop as well as an 11,000 pound vehicle should.

Some have had boosters and master cylinders replaced, but I don't know if this actually changed the condition.

Tags
brakes