Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Solar Panel Charging for Solera in Storage

I am thinking of charging my batteries with two Solar panel maintainers while it is in storage for five months while I travel overseas. Does anyone have any info or experience with using a maintainer solar panel that I may place in the front window around 3 amp or so. Thanks in advance.
Capt Dan

RV Park NAS-Panama City, FL

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

I bought a solar panel and controller to keep my batteries charged year round, just need to install. I plan to wire to battery directly so when battery disconnect on off batteries still charge

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
I am thinking of charging my batteries with two Solar panel maintainers while it is in storage for five months while I travel overseas. Does anyone have any info or experience with using a maintainer solar panel that I may place in the front window around 3 amp or so. Thanks in advance.
Capt Dan

RV Park NAS-Panama City, FL

Capt Dan, I've had excellent luck with one china freight trickle charger connected to one of the house batteries. The battery manager then will send the trickle to the chassis battery and keep all three topped off. Tried it the last two years, while in long term storage, and it worked flawless. One requirement is to have your batteries fully charged prior to hooking up the float charger.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Capt Dan, I've had excellent luck with one china freight trickle charger connected to one of the house batteries. The battery manager then will send the trickle to the chassis battery and keep all three topped off. Tried it the last two years, while in long term storage, and it worked flawless. One requirement is to have your batteries fully charged prior to hooking up the float charger.
Thanks- "Still Kickin,"
I am looking at such a trickle charger up to maybe 5 amps. Glad to see it works. That way I can keep my batteries maybe another year or so before replacing them with AGM's in my 2013 Solera 24S.

CaptDan
FamCamp NSA Panama City, FL

Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

I would suggest a battery tender rather than a trickle charger. Two different animals. A 4 stage battery tender will get you the longest battery life.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I would suggest a battery tender rather than a trickle charger. Two different animals. A 4 stage battery tender will get you the longest battery life.
My Problem: No place to plug into Electricity while in storage!!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks- "Still Kickin,"
I am looking at such a trickle charger up to maybe 5 amps. Glad to see it works. That way I can keep my batteries maybe another year or so before replacing them with AGM's in my 2013 Solera 24S.

CaptDan
FamCamp NSA Panama City, FL

May I suggest to you also add a power plus to it, it runs off the batteries but will keep your plates clean, the killer of batteries only about 35.00 bucks or so and it works great. Google power plus battery maintenance and read about it, I'm sure you will buy it.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

I have a Coleman 2 watt solar panel. it has cigarette lighter adapter & and battery clip adapter. I used it for a week. To make sure it doesn't get to hot as I cover my windows with covers while parked. It stays the same temp as windshield. Instructions say output voltage should be 16-23 volts dc in full sun. I'll find out if it works when I store unit this winter. cost $30.00.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill67 View Post
I have a Coleman 2 watt solar panel. it has cigarette lighter adapter & and battery clip adapter. I used it for a week. To make sure it doesn't get to hot as I cover my windows with covers while parked. It stays the same temp as windshield. Instructions say output voltage should be 16-23 volts dc in full sun. I'll find out if it works when I store unit this winter. cost $30.00.
I would make sure you get a controller with it, with blocking diodes other then that you will lose your charge every night through the panel, that would be a must for what your tiring to do. Other then that you would have to unplug it every night.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
That's correct try and look at the power plus which takes care of the 4th stage all the time, it will keep your plates clean by itself, about what the 4th stage would do.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Solar battery maintainer has a built in blocking diode to prevent reverse discharge
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #12

Question: If using a Battery Maintainer-How would you hook-up? Directly to the Chasis Battery thru the front hood of the Solera at the jump start cable area. Directly to the house batteries. I am trying to maintain all three batteries with one maintainer/batteries fully charged will that work?

Capt Dan
Orlando, FL
2013 Solera 24S

Old 09-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
My Problem: No place to plug into Electricity while in storage!!
I have a 15W 3 amp battery tender solar panel. It has a charge controller built in. Just hook it up and forget it. I use 1 on my camper and 1 on my boat. quick,easy and dependable. I don't trust those cheapos from harbor freight and others with such a lage investment at stake.
Amazon sells these at a good price
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

mikier the math does not work on your charger . 3 amp X 12V = 36W not 15W. A panel that will give you 5A of charging is going to be quite large around 80W. The small ones you see for putting in the windows are less the 500 mA.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #15

That's why I bought a 148w panel to mount on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Just bought my China Freight panel and will install today. I will place my Solera in storage for 5 months and hopefully will have some positive results upon my return March of 2015. Thanks to all.

Capt Dan

Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Leaving overseas for five months (13 Oct-12 March 2015). I have connected one Solar Panel to the bottom lower "cigarette lighter" adapter- looks like a good place to plug in a Solar Panel to get some juice back into your Solera battery while in storage and another one to the two house batteries with both Solar panels in the front window. Hopefully that will help save my batteries while in storage. More later on this subject upon my return. Thanks for all the inputs.
CaptDan

Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #18

Have a safe journey!

Tags
charging, solar, solera, storage