Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
JJ (just joined)

very good. thanks!
psutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
JJ (just joined)

I appreciate that. I'll have to lop off that lead foot I tend to use when I drive.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
JJ (just joined)

good to see so many helpful and loving (their RVs) comments. thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #24

Solera Gas MPG

We have the 24S Mercedes Diesel. With a new Solera on a 3,000 mile trip we got from 14 to 17. 14 MPG was when we were fighting winds. A more likely average is 15.5 I would guess.
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #25

Where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psutton View Post
That's where we looked, but they didn't seem interested in dealing; nice enough sales guy, but he seemed indifferent to two broken latches I found while looking at a new one. good grief, really? (I found one for $30k below sticker somewhere else.; so that's hard to ignore.) They also didn't seem to know a lot about the line. maybe one day we'll see you at Carlsbad. We're planning on doing some short AND long haul driving with it (NY). but we plan to use it for business, so it's tax deductible. That helps with gas and price.

Our issue is we have a beautiful place in east county with a view of the mountains--pool and huge yard. so, we wonder if we'll get homesick when on the road. I'd want to park it next to the pool and look at the view. but the beach will be nice, too.

My local dealer was also unwilling to deal. If you are willing to travel, I have found two places that will save you 10's of thousands on Solera's and they are quality dealerships.
serv523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
JJ (just joined)

Angry

yes. thanks. we have found one that has offered $30k off of sticker. I have some reservations about flying to his location to pick up an RV "blind." But more importantly, we have run into LOTS of friends who just say RV's are a money whole; they are expensive, they break down, and they are not worth the hassle. When we were considering this move, I was thinking only about the freedom of travel and relative comfort of traveling in an RV, NOT the incessant hassles and fixes that this lifestyle seems to mandate. So, we are now really teetering. More likely NOT to buy than to buy. The original cost outlay is NOT the issue for us, just what happens thereafter.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #27

To RV or not

I would encourage anyone who is on the fence to try this lifestyle. We bought our View in 2008 and have loved traveling in it. We will probably purchase a Solera next Spring just because we like the features and roominess it has over the View. As far as issues with the coach - we have had very few. Had to replace an inverter (because we left the dog hair pile up on top of it and it shorted - not the fault of the unit) but otherwise everything except a few lights in the coach have worked perfectly. We did replace the coach batteries with two new deep cell ones and have not had any trouble with the electrical system since. Other than a few issues with the MB turbo engine (nothing that kept us off the road) everything has been great.

I think that on a forum such as this you hear lots of things that are out of the ordinary. Also, if you choose to purchase from a good dealership (near or far) they will prepare the coach before you take possession.

We are very satisfied RVers. I also use the coach for my business because it is far nicer to have everything I need overnite than to drag suitcases in and out of motels.....and besides - it is a great tax write-off.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #28

what it gets on the road

just over 20000 miles on 2011 S model, get 13.3 avg and drive 60-65.. agree all depends on wind but Solera by design is higher than some, thus more wind drag.
Only engine problem has been exhaust system sensor.. 16000 miles +-changed out at Mercedes/Sprinter on warranty. Been a good camper for price!
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #29

A shame to read a few posts about a few problems, and paint the whole line with a broad brush. None of us have ALL of these problems; many of us have only one or two with a new coach, and most have none. But to get involved with this pastime with a totally negative approach is going to result in much disappointment, because a few problems will inevitably occur, sooner or later. Wise decision, PSutton... I doubt the RV lifestyle is for you.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
JJ (just joined)

That's very helpful. We are tipping back and forth. The business feature is a real attraction for me. And it's good to hear you didn't have much trouble with it. I keep leaning to the MB sprinter converted; but even when I try to design it myself, I just can't make it work. And the standard plans are not great. But it seems the B model would be more stable than the bigger A or C. But who knows? And I have not found a sprinter dealer who will discount it to a reasonable price, as I have found with the Solara. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #31

When we bought ours the same day another couple had just traded in their 6 month old mb airstream conversion for a solara because of lack of room and the salesman told us his wife kept on hitting her head. That's why we bought the s
When slide is open it feels gigantic inside, but to drive it doesn't feel much bigger than my tundra
Only 6 foot longer
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #32
JJ (just joined)

wow, doug! That is most helpful. I am 6'3". So, unless this guy's wife was a monster, it looks like I would likely have the same problem. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #33

If you want to get locally just go in last day of month and make you offer
That's what we did and they matched a price from the Central Valley
They hadn't made their # yet
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
JJ (just joined)

interesting. I've done that with cars. Does anyone know the margin a dealer makes on a Solara? I have one offer for $30,000 below sticker.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #35

Sutton, profit margin, come on will ya.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #36

I agree with 2012Solera - give it a rest. The price is what it is. Everyone needs to make a profit to be able to stay In business.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #37

I agree with those who say that everyone needs to make a profit - the question is just how large is the profit. I can tell you from careful shopping that there is a huge margin in the Solera product. I have one priced at $111,398 MSRP and an offer at $71,198. They are out there - some want to make several thousand on a deal and other want to make tens of thousands on a deal.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #38
JJ (just joined)

exactly. Dealers are smart enough to stay in business without the rest of us supporting exorbitant profits by being uninformed consumers. I can't believe anyone thinks knowing the profit margin on a sale this big is somehow inappropriate. You don't have to be a Stanford MBA to understand that!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #39

Mr. Sutton: We ALL negotiated the best price we could when we bought our RVs. Your best price is the price a given dealer is willing to sell a given unit on a given day. You have shopped around already, and found that some dealers were not willing to negotiate to your liking, and then griped about having to travel elsewhere to get a BETTER price from a dealer who won't worry about your nagging them with after sale problems. I would venture a guess that the last time you bought much of anything you negotiated without knowing what actual dealer cost is, and found that there is NO negotiating on many big ticket items. I have a friend retired from RV sales, and am aware of what dealer cost is generally. but dealers often get special pricing, often do not, so there is no firm rule on dealer cost on a given unit. Go buy yourself a Sprinter cutaway chassis, take it to a coach builder and have it custom built, then take it to a paint shop and have custom graphics applied, and maybe you'll be satisfied with having negotiated the best price!

And this is my LAST post on this thread.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Always Learning

Folks, I've had to do a handful of cleanup on this thread. I'd prefer not to have to close the topic, but it does seem like input has been given to psutton regarding expected MPG, quality and where/how to negotiate a good price.

Please be mindful of your conversations and keep in mind our "be nice" rule as you go to compose the next message.