Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Question Solera 2013 24S Feature Questions

I'm planning to purchase in the next week, and would like to confirm the following features of the 2013 Solera 24S. I've answered most of my questions from the Forest River web site, online videos, a physical inspection of a unit, and this great forum, but haven't been able to confirm the following. Although this list looks long, most are just quick yes/no answers. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated:

1. Slide - Can it be closed manually? (i.e. without power). Does it have an automatic lock when in (or is a locking bar recommended/required)?

2. Driver Convenience -- Does it have an extendable steering column (in addition to the tilt)? Are there side window defrosters?

3. Entertainment -- Is the Solera cable television wiring satellite compatible (i.e. can I connect an external satellite dish to the external cable input jack)? Is there any satellite pre-wiring in the roof? If not, can a roof-mounted satellite be added later? Are there rear speakers in the unit for the cab audio?

4. Lighting - In the Special Edition (with the glass light fixtures), are the lights LED? If not, what are they?

5. Fresh Water -- Is there a gravity-fed fresh water tank fill (useful for boondocking)? If so, is the cap lockable? Does the city water fill come with a water pressure regulator?

6. Black Water -- Is there a black water flush?

7. Cold Weather -- Are the grey and black tanks enclosed and/or insulated, in addition to being electrically heated (with the arctic pack option)? Are the dump valves enclosed, insulated, and/or heated?

8. Water filter option -- Is it for the kitchen faucet only or the whole coach?

9. Construction -- Is there any further information available to be found online about the construction of the house (floor, 3 walls, and roof)? e.g. components, thicknesses, construction techniques (e.g. welding, vacuum bonding), r-factors, etc. If not, can someone provide this info?

Thank-you very much from an aspiring Solera owner!
KingoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
I'm planning to purchase in the next week, and would like to confirm the following features of the 2013 Solera 24S. I've answered most of my questions from the Forest River web site, online videos, a physical inspection of a unit, and this great forum, but haven't been able to confirm the following. Although this list looks long, most are just quick yes/no answers. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated:

1. Slide - Can it be closed manually? (i.e. without power). Does it have an automatic lock when in (or is a locking bar recommended/required)?

2. Driver Convenience -- Does it have an extendable steering column (in addition to the tilt)? Are there side window defrosters?

3. Entertainment -- Is the Solera cable television wiring satellite compatible (i.e. can I connect an external satellite dish to the external cable input jack)? Is there any satellite pre-wiring in the roof? If not, can a roof-mounted satellite be added later? Are there rear speakers in the unit for the cab audio?

4. Lighting - In the Special Edition (with the glass light fixtures), are the lights LED? If not, what are they?

5. Fresh Water -- Is there a gravity-fed fresh water tank fill (useful for boondocking)? If so, is the cap lockable? Does the city water fill come with a water pressure regulator?

6. Black Water -- Is there a black water flush?

7. Cold Weather -- Are the grey and black tanks enclosed and/or insulated, in addition to being electrically heated (with the arctic pack option)? Are the dump valves enclosed, insulated, and/or heated?

8. Water filter option -- Is it for the kitchen faucet only or the whole coach?

9. Construction -- Is there any further information available to be found online about the construction of the house (floor, 3 walls, and roof)? e.g. components, thicknesses, construction techniques (e.g. welding, vacuum bonding), r-factors, etc. If not, can someone provide this info?

Thank-you very much from an aspiring Solera owner!
I'll help with what I can - as I am a new Solera owner as well and don't have all the answers to your questions. But, the ones I do are:

1) Yes, it can be closed manually - but it is very hard work. We had the dealership show us how. Don't ever want to have to go that route, however! I am not aware of an automatic lock - nor was one recommended to us.

2) No, it doesn't extend. Not sure on the defrosters, but think so.

3) Don't know about the satellite. It does have surround sound and there are speakers in the back.

4) Don't know

5) I just fill mine with a hose and it does not lock. Not sure about a regulator?

6) Yes

7) I'm in the south, so I don't pay too much attention to cold weather stuff!

8) Whole coach

guess after reading my answers - I don't have a lot for you! Sorry. I guess questions to take during your walk through. We love ours .... fyi.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Answer to number 2 steering wheel question (for my 2012 Solera) -

Yes, it does both extend and tilt.

Answer to number 3 (for my 2012 Solera) -

No, the switcher/splitter inside the coach will not pass satellite RF signals. I've tried and verified with dealer tech that wiring changes must be made that will cost a few hundred dollars.

No, there is no satellite pre-wire on the roof.

Yes, a roof satellite can be mounted. I suspect it's not a trivial exercise.

Yes, there are speakers in the ceiling of the living area, plus a subwoofer in a base cabinet, plus a switch to control which speakers the sound comes through - cab, living area or both.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

3. we do have an option for a King Dome automatic satellite on our other products, not sure why we couldn't option it on Solera. I know that some people have used the external coax for Satellite. I think some of that depends on what you use. Directv seems to be more finicky than dish. Not sure what was going on with Don Wills unit...maybe somthing has changed recently, but the most common issue was having the antenna boost on would not let anything through the splitter except for Over the air.

4. SE package was glass lighting. We recently switched it to glass LED. Any orders would be LED. Any stock units, you would have to verify.

7. electric tank pads. valves, no...not sure of a sprinter that is.

9. vacuum bonded ,aluminum welded.

I think I posted this "hot off the press" brochure on another topic...but here ya go. There is a construction section in there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOLERA 2013.pdf (2.21 MB, 120 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

BC, can you let (us) me know the type of LED bulb replaced the halogens in my 2012 glass dome lights. This would be nice to know when boondocking. Thanks
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

It's not a replacement bulb it's a new LED glass recessed fixture.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Thanks BC. Can you provide the remaining info not yet answered?

1. Slide - Does it have an automatic lock when in (or is a locking bar recommended/required)?

3. Entertainment -- Are there rear speakers in the unit for the cab audio (for units without surround sound)?

7. Cold Weather -- As I recall from my look at the unit, the grey and black tanks are insulated with spray foam (but not enclosed in a compartment). The dump valves are fully enclosed, but not insulated or heated. Have I got that right?

Thanks in advance!
KingoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Yes, the Winegard Automatic Carryout antenna for receiving DirecTV is what I own and it simply does not work when I plug the 50' coax into the outside plug and turn off the amplifier thingy. Works just fine when I plug directly into the DirecTV receiver by snaking the coax through an open window.

Other answers.

1. I never use the locking bar (it looks like a collapsible/spring loaded plastic shower curtain bar). I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to manually crank the slide.

5. Yes, gravity fill for freshwater. No, cap not lockable. Not sure if the city water has a pressure reducer. I carry one to install if the water pressure seems high - maybe bclemens can answer this question.

7. There is an option called the Arctic Pak that has the heaters for grey and black tanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

For the 2013 Solera the Arctic package is standard. Not sure about previous years.

I read somewhere around here that the arctic pack heats the grey and black tanks. The fresh tank is protected by some airflow from the furnace ducts.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:

1. Slide - Does it have an automatic lock when in (or is a locking bar recommended/required)?

3. Entertainment -- Are there rear speakers in the unit for the cab audio (for units without surround sound)?

7. Cold Weather -- As I recall from my look at the unit, the grey and black tanks are insulated with spray foam (but not enclosed in a compartment). The dump valves are fully enclosed, but not insulated or heated. Have I got that right?

Thanks in advance!
i don't think dump valves enclosed
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
2012 Solera

BClemens - I understood Forest River converted to (delamination free) Azdel from older delam-prone Luan (plywood). The new 2013 brochure you posted above shows "Luan decking" in the "Multi-layered Laminated Roof System", but also shows "Azdel superlite composite substrate" under Exterior Standard Features. Does FR still use Luan in the roof? Why? Obviously, a delamination concern.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:

1. Slide - Does it have an automatic lock when in (or is a locking bar recommended/required)? It is not hydraulic...so without power the slide is not going anywhere. (as opposed to hydraulic where leaks can occur). We do ship a slide lock/white bar. But I've never used it and never had a slide walk out on me.

2. Driver Convenience -- Does it have an extendable steering column (in addition to the tilt)? (I think someone else answer yes on this) Are there side window defrosters? air vents, yes.

3. Entertainment -- Are there rear speakers in the unit for the cab audio (for units without surround sound)? YES

5. Fresh Water -- Is there a gravity-fed fresh water tank fill (useful for boondocking)? If so, is the cap lockable? Does the city water fill come with a water pressure regulator? YEs, NO, NO

7. Cold Weather -- As I recall from my look at the unit, the grey and black tanks are insulated with spray foam (but not enclosed in a compartment). The dump valves are fully enclosed, but not insulated or heated. Have I got that right? Sounds right

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
Yes, the Winegard Automatic Carryout antenna for receiving DirecTV is what I own and it simply does not work when I plug the 50' coax into the outside plug and turn off the amplifier thingy. Works just fine when I plug directly into the DirecTV receiver by snaking the coax through an open window.
Is there any way to see if cable works? I wonder if there is a bad connection? Or if the 50' plus whatever "length" we're running is too long of a run?

Maybe see if a short length works hooked into the cable inlet...or try just park cable to see if that comes through.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
BClemens - I understood Forest River converted to (delamination free) Azdel from older delam-prone Luan (plywood). The new 2013 brochure you posted above shows "Luan decking" in the "Multi-layered Laminated Roof System", but also shows "Azdel superlite composite substrate" under Exterior Standard Features. Does FR still use Luan in the roof? Why? Obviously, a delamination concern.
We are using azdel in the sidewalls. We have not converted the roof over yet, but that may come in time. The only thing I can think of is that azdel is softer than lauan. I wonder if engineering is concerned about people walking on the roof and what affect that may have. I'll bring it up.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #15

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Is there any way to see if cable works? I wonder if there is a bad connection? Or if the 50' plus whatever "length" we're running is too long of a run?
When I'm in an RV park, the outside cable connection works just fine. In addition to the length issue, I wonder if the coax in the Solera isn't good enough. The new standard for high frequency, low impedance cable for satellites and HiDef is quad shielded RG6 along with RG6 matching connectors. I wonder what's in my Solera?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
2018 FR3 30DS

Don Wills

If you are trying to run a cable from your satellite dish through the cable connector located in the driver's side rear (water, electricity), it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the booster switch is off or on, satellite signals do not pass through the booster box. I have to run mine through the window, same as you. However, there is a posting in this forum (which I was unable to locate) that showed a simple way to reposition your cables in the booster receptacle and allowed for satellite transmission. That way you can hook up to the cable connector in the back.
Maybe someone else can remember this...it showed several pictures of how to bypass the booster switch.
Hope this helps..
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
When I'm in an RV park, the outside cable connection works just fine. In addition to the length issue, I wonder if the coax in the Solera isn't good enough. The new standard for high frequency, low impedance cable for satellites and HiDef is quad shielded RG6 along with RG6 matching connectors. I wonder what's in my Solera?
Engineering is telling me that we're using shielded RG6 & RG6 connections. Production tells me we're using the same stuff Comcast Cable uses. Supposedly there are two connections into the Winegard booster. (1) for antenna & one for cable. When the booster is off, its just supposed to act as a splitter.

If you unhook the connection from the back of the winegard booster (park cable) you should be able to connect that to the back of the satellite box if it is the booster that is causing issues (even if unpowered).

We have call into Winegard to see if they have seen this before.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #18

bclemens - thanks for looking into this.

Unfortunately, it's quite a bit more difficult than you describe. I've got the 24MS, so the circuit board that provides the connection for the wire to the outside coax plug is very buried inside the cabinet the holds the popup TV. Quite a bit of disassembly, both wood parts as well as circuit board stuff, is required. Even after that disassembly, the result is that the wire from from the outside coax plug isn't long enough to get to the DirecTV receiver box, and besides, that would defeat the outside connector working with cable when I'm in an RV park. All in all, it's a significant project to make it all work right with a permanent installation.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Commercial Member

I'll discuss your specific scenario tomorrow.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #20

Can FR reply to Debbie MH's statement that the slide can be closed manually. I had no idea that was possible. Sure would come in handy to know the procedure if the power slide failed. At least it would get you on your way.
Thanks.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera