Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Solera 24B

Anyone see new 24B in person? I frankly feel disappointed in the looks so far. Did they get rid of 24M for this? We wanted 24M as we LOVED all the windows, LOVED the incredibly comfortable recliner seats, LOVED large TV right in front of you, loved big bath but did not like the Murphy bed blocking the side window and also loved the large slide with window on side, but now smaller slide, no side windows. A great solution would have been to have plush comfortable recliner sofa that turns into a bed. The new 24B makes a smaller slide, has a extremely low uncomfortable looking dinette and a very ordinary sofa. Why. Born Free has similar to what I've stated with a pop up large TV with a smaller dinette with a pop out tray and an extremely comfortable recliner sofa that turns into a bed. Also their sister company Coachmen has extremely comfortable recliner sofa in their 24G model but we don't want a back bed, would rather have twins or the layout similar to above as we feel back bedroom slide wasted space unless bed down and slide out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We really were hoping to purchase soon. I went to Hershey show last year, and I can't tell you how many people were complaining about uncomfortable seats in the variety of RVs. Anyone that camps for any length of time like us, wants comfortable seats. I wish the designers and companies would understand this. Only thing worse is the new U shaped dinette in the smaller RVs, hate them.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

There's a dealer in Corinth, TX that has two 24ms for sale...one 2013 and a 2014 if you are interested.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

We love the U-shaped dinette in our Sunseeker 2300. To each his own. I appreciate that you can order either way from FR.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

I agree, to each his own and that you should be able to have options when ordering. For us the U shaped dinette is better in a larger RV where there is additional seating to lounge in. As far as lounging in a U shape for any length of time, not comfortable if main seating unless u enjoy sitting straight up, not putting your feet up, etc, cannot do that in a U shape. The square dinette is more comfortable, but you can fit more people in a U. Also takes up more space. Bringing many people in a larger RV I would like it, most people with smaller RVs are traveling with less people.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I've camped in both.

For the regular booth, I like to put my back against the wall and put my legs up on the seat...table and dinette back become the arm rests.

We do (2) types of U-shape. A full 82" one and a smaller one (265, 2500). I like the smaller one for lounging because I can pull the table out if I want and there is already a cushion on the back wall that I can lean back on. Again, legs up on the bench.

That is the nice thing about a U-shape it doubles as a dinette AND a sofa. It may not make the best sofa, but in smaller units its not a bad compromise. I personally don't like eating at the sofa because I feel like I'm sitting back to far.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I've camped in both.

For the regular booth, I like to put my back against the wall and put my legs up on the seat...table and dinette back become the arm rests.

We do (2) types of U-shape. A full 82" one and a smaller one (265, 2500). I like the smaller one for lounging because I can pull the table out if I want and there is already a cushion on the back wall that I can lean back on. Again, legs up on the bench.

That is the nice thing about a U-shape it doubles as a dinette AND a sofa. It may not make the best sofa, but in smaller units its not a bad compromise. I personally don't like eating at the sofa because I feel like I'm sitting back to far.
Maybe you guys can research Phoenix Cruiser also to get ideas from their designs, just got a flyer from them today. They have a recliner sofa that goes all the way into a bed, split in half so 2 people can lay it the way they want, comfortable dinette chairs with a smaller popup table to eat on. Like the exterior better on Solera's tho. I'm still hoping to see your new one in person. I agree with the way you sit at the bench, that's the way to do it. I know there are some squarer shaped U's that you can put your back against the back wall or side and have the option of putting legs up forward or sideways and are easier for lounging. I think if u had the square U I would consider that, I'm shorter so not sure I can lounge your way, and are large enough for several people to sit.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I'm not sure how you can tell that the dinette chairs are more comfortable without sitting in them. From a factory perspective, it looks like they are built just like ours but they add a "tuck" in the back and they roll the front edge.

These are the recliners we're working on...and after testing them today, they are very comfortable.

Reclining sofa is actually not correct. All the the ones that make into a really good bed...only the legs kick up, they do not actually recline. There is only one leg extension sofa that has a really great bed, but they don't work on our slide floor at this time.

To my knowledge no one is building a true reclining sofa that makes into a bed. Maybe someone on here can refute that. All the ones we have looked at are just leg extensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reclined Chair.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	54317  

Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #8

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/brochure.html
This is a link to the Phoenix Cruiser brochure. If you look you can see what I am speaking of. I agree that I hope to sit on the bench seats and maybe they are more comfortable. We did sit in a reclining sofa in the Born Free that went down into a bed. Yes the above are higher end model RVs but I can't see them being that much more in cost. I wonder if it's possible to have comfortable recliners similar to the new Coachmen 24G which is similar in cost to Solera and has unbelievably comfortable recliners, not sure why they don't recline farther down, that may also work to sleep on. The ones you have above, I myself would like if it didn't have the middle arm rest cup section bc someone could lay on it like a sofa also and they reclined flatter. With of course a pop up table. Just some suggestions of things we were looking for. Appreciated your comments also.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

This is a Born Free with a similar setup, sofa and dinette with a pop out table and pop up TV with comfortable chairs and a comfortable sofa bed. If you look at the video of the Born Free, or the brochure of the Phoenix Cruiser, they use chairs altho I believe you can get a bench in one or two of the models of the Phoenix. Again these are really high end RVs, but I don't see why we you guys can't do something similar in a more affordable price. The Born Free is our favorite RV, but is EXTREMELY over priced. We have sat in both RVs.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscotty View Post
Phoenix Cruiser Brochure
I wonder if it's possible to have comfortable recliners similar to the new Coachmen 24G which is similar in cost to Solera and has unbelievably comfortable recliners, not sure why they don't recline farther down, that may also work to sleep on.
The ones above are the same ones in the 24G. BUT, they do not have as big of a slide as we do. Their slide is only 54" long...so they take (2) recliners, take off the arms and Voila. Not sure you're laying down comfortable on a 54" sofa. Our slide is 68" long...so we can fit the arms.

We talked about doing it armless...either widening the seats and removing the arms or trying to squeeze 3 armless recliners in there. But it is WAY more comfortable to have the arm rests.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

Please research Villa double trundle bed Born Free RV. They have a double trundle bed that splits in the middle, turns into a large QUEEN size bed in several of their models, which you can recline separately. I will find another video to put on here. They also have a cabinet which is present in the video above, that is small and narrow that takes up little space (is somewhat similar to your 24M model but smaller) and ALSO pops out a table. They really utilize maximum space in their small RVs with incredible comfort, and I am hoping Forest River or others jump on board and research what Born Free is doing and do it in a more affordable way than they are. I think you will have a home run.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
The ones above are the same ones in the 24G. BUT, they do not have as big of a slide as we do. Their slide is only 54" long...so they take (2) recliners, take off the arms and Voila. Not sure you're laying down comfortable on a 54" sofa. Our slide is 68" long...so we can fit the arms.

We talked about doing it armless...either widening the seats and removing the arms or trying to squeeze 3 armless recliners in there. But it is WAY more comfortable to have the arm rests.
The Born Frees are large and turn into Queen size beds. They are Villa Double trundle beds.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:

Go to around the 6:00 section and they say the make and show the trundle recliner sofa queen size bed. This model is 60 inches length possibly you can still have the middle section or have it lay flatter with cup holders, there are several options. I wrote to Born Free bc now I am curious about the size of all the trundle beds for the different models. I know one thing, it turns into a queen bed, is extremely comfortable as I sat in one. Also look at the cabinet they use that has a pop up TV and pop out table. Really utilize space in an extremely efficient and beautiful way. Comfortable chairs, or you can get without chairs and just have a jackknife sofa in some of their models.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #14

Just an observation (don't mean to offend anyone)...I'm trying to understand the main purpose of this thread. It seems like an encouragement to Forest River to make their product like someone else's. What's the point? I purchased a FR product because I liked it better than several other manufacturer's products. I purchased it on a Chevy chassis because I like that better. Others like the Ford better--that's their choice. I would never consider asking Chevy to make their chassis more like the Ford. If I wanted a Ford I would have bought one.

I know that FR is open to suggestions and their (unofficial) rep here (Brian) always receives the suggestions graciously. I'm just not sure we should be encouraging FR to make their MH like someone else's. I like mine the way it is.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Just an observation (don't mean to offend anyone)...I'm trying to understand the main purpose of this thread. It seems like an encouragement to Forest River to make their product like someone else's. What's the point? I purchased a FR product because I liked it better than several other manufacturer's products. I purchased it on a Chevy chassis because I like that better. Others like the Ford better--that's their choice. I would never consider asking Chevy to make their chassis more like the Ford. If I wanted a Ford I would have bought one.

I know that FR is open to suggestions and their (unofficial) rep here (Brian) always receives the suggestions graciously. I'm just not sure we should be encouraging FR to make their MH like someone else's. I like mine the way it is.
We had high hopes for FR bc they were getting close to this floor plan with the 24M which we almost bought. Given that Born Free is selling on Ford and Chevy chasis, not even a diesel, for well over $150,000 to $200,000 I think possibly they are on to something here! We are giving suggestions bc we cannot find the perfect one for us yet. That is why. We go to ALL The largest RV shows, go to all the RV dealers, we have been an owner of a 25 ft B+RV for 15 years which they don't make anymore, want to upgrade, so we learned what works in a small RV and know what we are looking for. Unfortunately Born Free's are too expensive or that would be the one. The Born Free's are doing a wonderful job with the smaller floor plan RVs, that was all I was saying. I absolutely believe any company that could replicate Born Free's ideas in a more affordable price would really be onto something that would benefit them and the consumer. Otherwise why would BF be able to sell those RVs at such a high price. I meant no offense and it would make a nice option as Solera was fairly close to their setup.

Tags
solera