Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
'79 Bonneville

My advice about testing the MB mechanism would apply to any unit with the mechanism manufactured by Lippert Components, Inc and purchased by Forest River. The Liesure MB looks like the same mechanism.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #22

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahsheik View Post
Any more current thoughts from those with the murphy bed? Considering this unit within the next year...doing our due diligence
Not concerning the murphy bed but you might check out the new 24R just intro'd last month in Hershey. Haven't seen it but looks to answer some of the issues with bed preferences.
kippee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #23

I wonder how comfortable the split mattress is on the 24R. The fact that it's a real mattress on the 24M would seem to be superior, IMO.

And FWIW, absolutely do as bcunning suggests to raise and lower the murphy bed 10 times before you take delivery. I didn't do that and it of course broke stuck in the half up position on the second trip out. The entire Lippert mechanism had to be replaced - took about a month.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
anyone own a Solera with new floorplan 24m-murphy bed. would like comments.
We have a 2012 Solera,just for the 2 of us ( plus our dog) and find it perfect for us.
The murphy bed is very comfortable..........and the two chairs are also very comfortable....so far it's worked fine. Highly recommend it!
ruggie4solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Did any of you consider the Leisure Unity? There seem to be a lot of quality control issues at Forest River. We want to make the best choice looking ahead at resale value.
my opinion is this if resale value is a big issue-don't buy an rv-

the leisure unity may be superior. it also costs a lot more.

price the solera 24ms at rvdirect. then go from there comparing value.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Did any of you consider the Leisure Unity? There seem to be a lot of quality control issues at Forest River. We want to make the best choice looking ahead at resale value.
I'm not sure what scientific method was used to determine that there are a lot of quality control issues, but I don't see a lot.

This forum is a place for people to solve problems...so if you base it off this forum then yes, the percentage is probably high, but its really pretty low when you compare to to al units sold.

We just sold a 24M to a couple that had a Unity. They loved the Unity floor plan, but their bed malfunctioned multiple times. So they bought a 24M with the cab over bed so if they ever had an issue they had the cab over bed in a pinch. With the Unity they had no options.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #27

We just bought a 2012 Solera MB, We traded a winnabago Rialta, so much more room in the Solera, but I am disapointed with the manual as it is not very specific to the motorhome as compared to my Rialta. The manual that came with my Rialta told you and had pictures of where drain valves and electricle circuits were. The book with the Solera is not specific it encompasses all the units and is not specific to any unit. Not good for the do it yourself crowd. We do like the motorhome and cant wait to take our first trip.
Has anyone had any complaints about the GPS not being BRIGHT enough, or is it just my unit that is defective?
Al Aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
2012 Solera

Magnadyne GPS is pretty dim, compared to, say, a Garmin Nuvi. Try switching it to "night" mode during daytime - I find the higher contrast "night" color scheme makes it considerably more legible in daylight. I've set mine to night mode for both day and night.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
2012 Solera

My advice above on using the GPS's night mode is correct - but assumes you have already pout the Magnadyne into "Day" mode. On my 2012 Solera "S", the Solera turns the headlighjts "on" when I start the engine - compliance with daytime running light laws, I believe. This "tells" the Magnadyne (as it was wired by the factory) it is nighttime all the time. Necessary to switch the Magnadyne back to "daylight" mode manually - there is a lightbulb-like icon on the radio screen to do this. To avoid this, I actually pulled the radio and disconnected the wire that "tells" then Magnadyne that the lights are on - the "blue wire". If I want the "dim / night" mode, I manually switch to it - using the lightbulb-like icon.
More info is available in the Magnadyne threads.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Any more current thoughts from those with the murphy bed? Considering this unit within the next year...doing our due diligence
So far we've spent 14 days/nights in our 2012 Solera and love the Murphy Bed. The mechanism works great, the mattress is very comfortable, and we like the theatre chairs, as well. Our only "issue" if you can even call it an issue, is that we decided we needed a couple ottomans to use along with the chairs. We are used to sitting in recliners at home. So we bought a couple of collapsible leather ones and love the addition to our MH.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #31
Stay Classy San Diego

I second what Aspengirl said. We pull out the drawers under the recliners and use them as footrests.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I second what Aspengirl said. We pull out the drawers under the recliners and use them as footrests.
We were afraid we would harm the drawer, or drawer slides, if we used the drawers for footrests.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #33
Commercial Member

I think it was on this forum...but one couple pulls the seat drawer out and puts a pillow on it. That is their foot rest.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Stay Classy San Diego

That was me. It works great. We don't put any pressure on the drawer, just rest our feet lightly on it
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #35
'79 Bonneville

arctic pac

be advised that the arctic pac in the 24M does not include the fresh water tank.

There is a furnace heater duct that sends some warm air to the fresh water tank surround but only when the furnace is actually putting heat into the interior. If it is below freezing outside and you have your furnace turned off while you are sleeping in your nice cozy murphy bed, your fresh water might be freezing.

Also, if you turn the furnace off while you are away or while you are on the road, there is no thermostatic control to provide heat from the furnace tot he fresh water tank and, again, your fresh water might freeze.

In addition to this, whenever you have your furnace on with the outside temperature above freezing, you are wasting the propane that heats the air going to the fresh water tank.

I have ordered another tank heater just like the ones on the holding tanks and I will install it on the fresh water tank and I will connect it to the arctic pac circuit and close the duct from the furnace to the fresh water tank surround to conserve propane. With shipping, the additional heater is about $135 which I think is a reasonable price for protecting the fresh water tank from freezing and saving propane.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #36

bcunning - can you provide a manufacturer and part number for the heater, as well as where you bought it?
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
'79 Bonneville

here's the web site address where I ordered it:

UltraHeat - Tank Heaters - AM-Model 1200 Tank Heater