Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

solera 24m

anyone own a Solera with new floorplan 24m-murphy bed. would like comments.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
2012 Solera

I own a 24S but I'll give you my take on the 24M: I wish now that I had gone that way because of the more efficent use of space.

The bigger, walk-around bed is a real plus. getting in and out of the corner bed is awkward. not to mention how hard it is to make the bed. We decided on a double sleeping bag with a removable sheet liner. I don't know how much work there is to set-up the murphy bed, I'd want to try that part out before deciding. I assume that the bed can remain partially made? You do lose seating with the bed down so swivel-seats are a good option to get.

The shower/toilet area in the 24M is bigger. If you compare the 24S floor plan you can see how cramped it is; If your larger then average it would be a big problem.

You do lose the table but gain a more comfortable seating arrangement.

We like the bunk area for loose storage rather than cabinets; there is plenty of cabinet/compartment storage throughout both models.

My 2 cents; Good luck.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I really like the "M" and have studied it quite a bit. However, its usability is questionable if you and your spouse don't get up and go to bed at the same time.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

as far as i can tell there are only 2 other rv's with this floorplan

Triple e regency gt24mb on a ford chassis gas engine 60x80 bed
and a leisure travel van model diesel MB 60x74 bed.

the people who have them rave about the functionality.

I guess there are drawbacks to all floor plans for someone.

i am looking at this and a winnebego ERA 70a.

the main thing is price. I have a quote from RVdirect for 71,000 for the SolerA 24m which is far less than the others.(standard paint)

quality is another issue
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
'79 Bonneville

We got our 24M two months ago and we are delighted with it. Ours has the built-in cabinets above the cab. We are retired and do not need sleeping accommodations for more than the two of us. The bed can remain made when up and the pillows store conveniently behind the seats. Being able to walk around the bed was a requirement after owning a Scamp 13 and 16. The bathroom is luxurious with the corner shower with sliding doors. We have had only one overnight in it so far but we are off for a 2-night weekend trip starting Saturday.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Good to hear....if I ever get around to it, I hope to post a video of the bed being operated.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
We got our 24M two months ago and we are delighted with it. Ours has the built-in cabinets above the cab. We are retired and do not need sleeping accommodations for more than the two of us. The bed can remain made when up and the pillows store conveniently behind the seats. Being able to walk around the bed was a requirement after owning a Scamp 13 and 16. The bathroom is luxurious with the corner shower with sliding doors. We have had only one overnight in it so far but we are off for a 2-night weekend trip starting Saturday.
one of the concerns I have with the solera is it's height and it's fuel mileage versus a pure sprinter van. any comments
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #8

We love ours. It gets between 14 & 15 mpg. That's better than my truck got pulling 19' camper.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Plus a pure Sprinter van is a whole different animal. Typically no fixed bed, wet bath, cramped quarters. Different vehicle for a different traveler.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
'79 Bonneville

It is quite high - 11.5 feet. I had to do quite a bit of tree trimming above our 1100-foot driveway through forest after the first trip up. On some backk roads in VT, there aren't enough tall trucks traveling to keep the branches back enough to clear so we do have to watch out for some low ones near the side of the road. Major roads are not a problem because the big trucks keep the trees from growing as low as the Solera.

We need to pay attention to clearances under bridges, too.

We don't have a good check on the mileage yet.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
It is quite high - 11.5 feet. I had to do quite a bit of tree trimming above our 1100-foot driveway through forest after the first trip up. On some backk roads in VT, there aren't enough tall trucks traveling to keep the branches back enough to clear so we do have to watch out for some low ones near the side of the road. Major roads are not a problem because the big trucks keep the trees from growing as low as the Solera.

We need to pay attention to clearances under bridges, too.

We don't have a good check on the mileage yet.
are there screens on windows and do they open?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #12

On my 2011 it has screens and windows open

Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #13

8,500 miles on the Solera, just drove from OKC to Panama City Fl pulling a jetski (1,000#) got at least 14mpg every fill up. Drove between 60-68 mph the entire trip. Very light wind the whole way. (that's a first for us)
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #14

Also, had the oil changed before we left at a freight liner shop, about 1/2 way to Dallas the oil light came on and was reading "Hi", looked it up in the manual and it says that it was over filled with oil. Drove on into Dallas at 11 pm got the service rep to check it for us and I have to drain about a quart of oil back out. Either the service department can't count to 13 or 13 quarts is a little too much.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
'79 Bonneville

Just got back from a full tank trip on interstates and got about 13 mpg - a bit disappointing considering the salesman told us it would get about 20 with highway driving but I actually would have been surprised if it was much closer to 20.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
John

I just got back from a trip to east Colorado from LosAngeles area and got 13 overall.
I have 18000+ on a 2010 sold as as a 2011 Solera. But to be fair the wind was howling
ALL the way back (headwind) and I was getting 14 mpg on the way to.
Since then my running lights have gone out and it's not fuses ! Naaaa !
John
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #17

been told there are fuses in the carpment where sewer connections are. You have remove the small plywood section to get to them. hope this helps

Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Updates?

Any more current thoughts from those with the murphy bed? Considering this unit within the next year...doing our due diligence
deborahsheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
'79 Bonneville

When you pick up your 24M, lower and raise the bed several times (I'd recommend at least ten times) and listen carefully to the sound of the operating mechanism. If it does not sound smooth - i.e. no gear crunching and no irregularity in the speed going either up or down - make sure it gets fixed before you drive it away.

There should be some change in sound as the bed platform passes the point of being lifted up and tipping forward over the two rollers to the point where it is being controlled in its descent by the same mechanism. The reverse is true when if being lifted from the horizontal position to the vertical position - again rising and falling. The mechanism provides a lifting force at the beginning of the cycles and a braking force at the end. The most stress is in the initial lifting so be very attentive to that part of the cycle in both directions.

If there is more than one unit on the lot, you should do a comparison with all units available.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #20

Choices

Did any of you consider the Leisure Unity? There seem to be a lot of quality control issues at Forest River. We want to make the best choice looking ahead at resale value.
deborahsheik is offline   Reply With Quote