Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

solera 24m

anyone own a Solera with new floorplan 24m-murphy bed. would like comments.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
2012 Solera

I own a 24S but I'll give you my take on the 24M: I wish now that I had gone that way because of the more efficent use of space.

The bigger, walk-around bed is a real plus. getting in and out of the corner bed is awkward. not to mention how hard it is to make the bed. We decided on a double sleeping bag with a removable sheet liner. I don't know how much work there is to set-up the murphy bed, I'd want to try that part out before deciding. I assume that the bed can remain partially made? You do lose seating with the bed down so swivel-seats are a good option to get.

The shower/toilet area in the 24M is bigger. If you compare the 24S floor plan you can see how cramped it is; If your larger then average it would be a big problem.

You do lose the table but gain a more comfortable seating arrangement.

We like the bunk area for loose storage rather than cabinets; there is plenty of cabinet/compartment storage throughout both models.

My 2 cents; Good luck.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I really like the "M" and have studied it quite a bit. However, its usability is questionable if you and your spouse don't get up and go to bed at the same time.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

as far as i can tell there are only 2 other rv's with this floorplan

Triple e regency gt24mb on a ford chassis gas engine 60x80 bed
and a leisure travel van model diesel MB 60x74 bed.

the people who have them rave about the functionality.

I guess there are drawbacks to all floor plans for someone.

i am looking at this and a winnebego ERA 70a.

the main thing is price. I have a quote from RVdirect for 71,000 for the SolerA 24m which is far less than the others.(standard paint)

quality is another issue
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
'79 Bonneville

We got our 24M two months ago and we are delighted with it. Ours has the built-in cabinets above the cab. We are retired and do not need sleeping accommodations for more than the two of us. The bed can remain made when up and the pillows store conveniently behind the seats. Being able to walk around the bed was a requirement after owning a Scamp 13 and 16. The bathroom is luxurious with the corner shower with sliding doors. We have had only one overnight in it so far but we are off for a 2-night weekend trip starting Saturday.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
GM

Good to hear....if I ever get around to it, I hope to post a video of the bed being operated.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
We got our 24M two months ago and we are delighted with it. Ours has the built-in cabinets above the cab. We are retired and do not need sleeping accommodations for more than the two of us. The bed can remain made when up and the pillows store conveniently behind the seats. Being able to walk around the bed was a requirement after owning a Scamp 13 and 16. The bathroom is luxurious with the corner shower with sliding doors. We have had only one overnight in it so far but we are off for a 2-night weekend trip starting Saturday.
one of the concerns I have with the solera is it's height and it's fuel mileage versus a pure sprinter van. any comments
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

We love ours. It gets between 14 & 15 mpg. That's better than my truck got pulling 19' camper.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
GM

Plus a pure Sprinter van is a whole different animal. Typically no fixed bed, wet bath, cramped quarters. Different vehicle for a different traveler.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
'79 Bonneville

It is quite high - 11.5 feet. I had to do quite a bit of tree trimming above our 1100-foot driveway through forest after the first trip up. On some backk roads in VT, there aren't enough tall trucks traveling to keep the branches back enough to clear so we do have to watch out for some low ones near the side of the road. Major roads are not a problem because the big trucks keep the trees from growing as low as the Solera.

We need to pay attention to clearances under bridges, too.

We don't have a good check on the mileage yet.