Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
2015 Solera 24R

Solera 24R dinette side slide squeak - SOLVED!

Good news, I fixed the long standing issue with the maddening squeak coming from our Solera 24R's dinette slide out. The dealer couldn't fix it but I sure did! You can fix yours too yourself!

I've seen other, non-Solera forum discussion about fixing slide out squeaks. None of this helped me with our issue.

We have a very maddening squeak coming from our Solera 24R's dinette, or side slide. I FINALLY got mine fixed myself and thought that I would share the fix here.

Prior to our upcoming 2 month trip (we leave Monday and today is Saturday), I needed to get the squeak out of the dinette side slide. It squeaks as you roll down the road with this slide IN (of course). It gets LOUDER and LOUDER as you go.

Backstory:
I JUST brought it back from a Forest River dealer and paid their one hour $129 per hour plus $29.99 shop supplies plus tax. I picked it up on Friday at their closing time so didn't get to test their work. They swore that there was NO SQUEAK. I trusted them. Ha! No, they didn't fix the ONLY thing that I had it there for. Aaaaaagh!

I have a long, 2 year history with this squeak and that dealer. They must have ONE technician who knows the magic combination. That guy obviously didn't work on my unit this time. I WAS PISSED! We'll be on a 2 month trip and would have been driven CRAZY in a hurry by it.

HERE'S HOW TO FIX YOURS if your have this issue".

1. The dinette slide uses a Schwintek mechanism. Watch this video before starting on yours.

Google "Schwintek In-Wall Slideout Mechanism / Lubricating Mechanisms on Winnebago Industries Motorhomes". Here is the URL:

2. Order the correct spray: CRC Power Lube with PTFE. They stress in the video the importance of using THIS spray lube ONLY! It shows how to lube the Coupler and Gib mechanism. Very good video!

I ordered mine from ZORO.COM, but you can find it elsewhere on the web.
It's supposed to be available from Grainger also. We have a Grainger store locally but their hours are an issue with my work hours. Web to the rescue.

3. Key to our problem: Our squeak was coming ONLY from the REAR, TOP Schwintek mechanism on the dinette slide. THIS is the tough area to lube from the INSIDE of the coach. Lubing from the OUTSIDE of the slide did not fix the issue.

I lubed everywhere that I could EASILY reach inside and out (like the RV dealer apparently did), but still had the squeak. Key: On the INSIDE of the slide it's NOT EASY to lube the TOP REAR due to near-zero clearance with the wall to the bath. Again, we have a 2014 Solera 24R, with a wall between the dinette slide out and the bathroom. There is no access from the top either due to low ceiling clearance.

4. Lubing this ares is NOT EASY. THAT'S why the local dealer didn't lube it!
Aaaaaagh!

I FINALLY got to it by putting the slide IN and looking on the EASY, RIGHT side of the slide which is located right behind the driver. Do this and measure down how far the mechanism is that you'll be lubing. 10 inches for me. You'll need this for your work on the other (LEFT) side.

5. Now, to get to this area on the left side by the bathroom wall move the dinette slide ALMOST all of the way IN. For me this was about 1 to 2 inches from all the way IN.

Put your hand around the wooden molding that is blocking your view and feel for the rubber seal. About 10 inches down you then move the seal out of the way and feel the Schwintek aluminum bar mechanism. THIS is what you want to spray with CRC lubricant. You can't see it but you can feel it.

With the red "straw" bent like they show on the video above lube this area.

6. Test drive and be happy! SQUEAKS ARE GONE!

I can't tell you how happy that I am having some CONTROL over this maddening squeak issue! Next time it squeaks I know how to fix it!

I'm going to have my can of CRC Power Lube with PTFE always with me in the RV. I'll also have 2 other cans of spray lubricant as well, one for conditioning the rubber seals and the other for the Schwintek mechanism. On second thought, I'm most likely lubing the Schwintek mechanism with my CRC Power Lube can probably only carry the 2 cans in the RV.

We start our trip Monday. When the RV dealer opens that day I'm going to call the RV dealer from the road and tell them what I went through. If they don't OFFER to refund my money for work that they didn't complete, I'll be sure to ask them for it. We'll see how that goes.

Happy RVing to you! You DO have power over the squeaks that you hear.

You CAN do something about it yourself and unchain yourself from the expensive idiots at the RV dealership.

Oh, does anyone know where I can get a much LONGER red straw for the CRC spray can. Longer is better in this case. I made the 3-4 inch length work but it took awhile to do.

I'm going to look on the web to see if I can find a much longer one. I'll post an update here if I find one.

Success! http://littleredstraw.com/5--10-inch-str510.html $4.89 for a set of 5 10 inch straws. That will do for me.

Borrowing from Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee": Freedom is just another word for... RVing in a Solera.
RVing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

I haven't had that problem…yet but thanks for the tip. seems a solution to every problem can be found on youtube.

Here is a place that has some long spray lube straws.

EXTEND-A-LUBE SUPER STRAWS (PACKAGE OF 3) from Aircraft Spruce
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

Great post! This is information I can file and will come in very handy.
Thank you.

Tags
slide, solera