Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Solera 24R - The first year of ownership

Let me preface this by saying I love how the Sprinter drives (after installing the Hellwig and shocks), and with the two slides, our 2014 24R is the perfect size RV for us.
During the first year, we've only put about 6,000 miles on it. However, it seems like every trip has been a "shakedown" trip for us.
At delivery, we noticed the shower did not work and the seals around the interior of the rear slide were loose. The dealer fixed that.
Our first trip out, we noticed the radio had bad reception and the windows in the side slide sounded like they were going to break when at highway speed. We also noticed the rear camera view was half blocked by the awning on the rear slide and the bedroom door kept sliding open and closed.
The factory had not installed the strike plate for the bedroom door, so they sent me one and I installed it myself. The camera company sent me longer arms for the backup and I installed that, too. The window company sent my dealer a set of thicker windows for the side and they installed those. We traced the bad radio reception to the back up monitor which was causing interference. A new monitor was installed by the dealer which fixed the reception issue. All these things took a long time to get done.
On our next journey, the plastic drawer latches began to fail so the drawers would fly open when turning. We also noticed a popping sound coming from the stairwell. The battery control center was making the sound, so when we got back, that was replaced by the dealer and I put metal latches plus metal slide locks on the drawers rather than asking for new plastic latches.
All the while, I had also been noticing the brakes felt soft. Although my dealer is part of a group that sells and services Mercedes, they are not an authorized Sprinter dealer and therefore can't perform warranty work on the chassis. The nearest Sprinter dealer is 100 miles from me.
They tested it and replaced the master cylinder, booster and servo. They still feel soft. Upon returning home that day, I had the ASR and ESP (brake/traction related) lights come on, so after another 200 mile round trip later that week I received a new switch on the brake pedal (at least that's what they told me they did). They also did an engine computer update.
On our most recent trip, we had a single tail or brake light come on by itself when parked or while driving. First on the left, then on the right. Batteries drained eventually. We had the light control module back by the water pump replaced last week.
We have 2 weeks left until our 1 year warranty expires, so I'm driving it daily, hoping that anything else that would rear it's head will do so before then!
Other than still having soft feeling brakes, everything has been fixed to my satisfaction, but there's still been a lot of running around and down time where I had to cancel a trip. From reading the forum, I know there are a lot of different problems that folks have, and I guess I've just had my share. At least I haven't had the DEF light issue -- yet.
The forum is a great resource and has helped me immensely in recognizing issues and making mods. I don't know if I would buy new again versus finding one where the bugs have been worked out. But then things can happen to a used rig and there would be no warranty. At least I'm mechanically inclined I just hope year #2 works out better. I'll post an update next year!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #2

A Tale of Two 2400Rs

I'm also coming up on my 1st year of ownership - Sunseeker 2400MBS R in my case, and slightly fewer miles (5800). I've been fortunate to have only 2 issues in that time:
1) Leaky basement (passenger side midship)
2) Not enough free time to use it more
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

my 1st year won't be until Oct on my 2014 24S

just finished 2 trips:

5>25 April --- Boise > Fort Worth > Houston > Tulsa > Cheyenne > W. Yellowstone > Boise --- 4322 miles --- 19.15 ¢/mi

2>24 June --- Boise > Phillipsburg, Kansas > Mitchell, SD > Cody, WY > W. Yellowstone > Boise --- 2804 miles --- 19.19 ¢/mi

no trouble except once the coach door flew open, I've now learned to keep the door locked with the bolt lock while traveling

now @ 11444 miles on odo. but still no service light of any kind, but taking it in for 1st service tomorrow, precautionary, because my planned July trip is Boise > Reno > W. Yellowstone > Idaho Falls > Odessa, TX, > Pagosa Springs, CO > Boise

for those wondering, I shoot Cowboy Fast Draw, go to matches all over the West, and at age of 76 am one of the older participants
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Other post on the soft brakes issue http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kes-75957.html
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

We're past the 1 year. If my husband and son chimed in the list would be longer:
Had the rattling slide-out window replaced by local pro, paid by dealer. (Not a good story about the dealer.)
Same issue you mentioned about drawer latches breaking. Have replaced 2 so far.
Several of the cargo hold latches are funky. Either pop open, or won't open. Bad design all round.
Step area battery -- again, bad design. Screws work loose, difficult to get back in.

We were told when we picked it up that the included sewer hose is 'emergency-only quality -- get a real one ASAP' Which we did, but where do people store the longer hoses with the appropriate attachments? I don't think that will all fit into the built in sleeve.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTraveler View Post
We're past the 1 year. If my husband and son chimed in the list would be longer:
Had the rattling slide-out window replaced by local pro, paid by dealer. (Not a good story about the dealer.)
Same issue you mentioned about drawer latches breaking. Have replaced 2 so far.
Several of the cargo hold latches are funky. Either pop open, or won't open. Bad design all round.
Step area battery -- again, bad design. Screws work loose, difficult to get back in.

We were told when we picked it up that the included sewer hose is 'emergency-only quality -- get a real one ASAP' Which we did, but where do people store the longer hoses with the appropriate attachments? I don't think that will all fit into the built in sleeve.
I have a 24R and stow my slinky hose and fittings in the black and gray drain valve compartment. It will fit nicely placed around the valves. There is more room in that compartment than you might think!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Have 1 year on our 2014 24R and most things that have been a problem with the coach have minor and I have taken care of myself. Replaced leaking stabilizers that Quadra sent me and replaced bad TV that dealer sent to us under warranty. Wish the problems with the Mercedes had been as minor. Back to the shop again for the 5th time. Now have CEL light coming on and off with every trip. Also when the engine is hot and we try to start sounds as if it is sucking air. Also when we turn the key to start often acts as if not connecting and is dead. So far when this happens we turn it off and try again and after several attempts it makes contact and starts. So far it appears the Def problems have been repaired and not getting that light and the dreaded count down. Am just not happy with the Mercedes dependability, love the way it drives and handles when running properly. So far with 10,000 miles have only had maybe two short trips without warning lights and problems. Will give it this year to get the bugs out and will dump the problem Mercedes for a new unit.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
2012 Solera

Bob - I had good luck with a Freightliner repair facility in Oklahoma City that has a dedicated Sprinter section. Of course, Oklahoma City is too far - but I wonder if a local Freightliner shop might be a better bet to get your issues resolved. Freightliner shops may have a wealth of experience with Sprinter delivery vans that Mercedes shops don't have.
Just a thought -

Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

JLeising- Shop I am using is Redding Freightliner and they ar
e a Sprinter dealer also. Am happy with the shop and believe they are doing the best they can to correct the problems. Just seems to be one thing after another and from what I gather from the shop I am not the only one. Believe part of the trouble is the Mercedes is over engineered. I will keep trying and will celebrate when I can complete a trip with no problems.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera