Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
in 99% of the time that I have been involved with an online quote. Customer brings the online quote into their local dealer (with a trade) and asks them to match that price (even though the online dealer was not taking their trade). They are nowhere close.

In 100% of those same situations. If the customer came to me and let me put them with a sales manager first, decides to sell their trade on their own, we have been able to get them an agreeable price. Dealership is taking a big risk with the trade...what if there is something wrong with it? They also haven obligation to the used buyer as well and in many cases their price reflects this risk for repair of the used unit.

As long as the dealer is making money, in my experience, they will take the deal. But to get the best price, sell the trade yourself, then they know exactly what their margin guessing.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
Just a quick comment on fuel milage on the Solera. I have only put about 7K miles on my 2012 Solera -- mainly in California. First off, both the dealers & manufacturer quoted higher milages than I've been getting.

What I can say is that my fuel milage varies VERY little from tankful to tankful. It's varied from about 13.0 to 13.4 mpg. This past week we drove about 2000 miles. We were at sea level for about 700 miles of that trip. The balance was climbing to 8000+ ft at Crater Lake to below sea level in Death Valley. Temperature varied from 37 degrees to 105 during our trip. The one thing I could count on was CONSISTANT fuel milage -- and I can prepare for that! (I can't control the cost of the fuel though!)
if you ask any dealer selling solera they will tell you 18-20 mpg , and they are all wrong , they based that on the sprinter van sold by roadtrek and air stream ..
if your full diesel tank ( 26 gal ) take you over 340 mile @ 65mph you are very lucky
i think Winnebago View® and View® Profile, citation , tioga All get better mileage than the solera because Aerodynamics is better ...

smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
The others might get better fuel mileage, but we didn't buy it for economy. We bought the solera because it was MUCH nicer looking than all the other sprinter-based models. I guess if mpg is your only criteria you could end up with a really homely motorhome that no one will want to buy on the resale market!

I personally don't mind 13-14 mpg as it is much better than our class A pace arrow (8mpg on a good day) that has been sitting since we got the solera! It's a great coach, but the solera sure is nice!

It's also nice not to pay the Winnebago tax...

GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote