Old 07-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #11

[QUOTE=doc73;1262737]Do your lights work when only on battery power (no shore power). If so they are 12v. If you need to be into the power pedestal to work then they are 120v

That is why I was asking. I have no way right now to know as I have no access to the RV and I assumed all would be the same on all Soleras as they come from the factory. So my question is are they 12V or 120V or both and how do they connect to the RV power? Is it a simple plug and where is it? Trying to decide what to order and how they will hook up from above post.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, that is fine. But have you ever used the light in the past? They will not have changed.

I'd do 12v,which is what I did. Wired it to a source in the area where the white lights connected. Very easy to do. There is a 900(not literally but almost) page thread on hooking them up. This gives some good ideas of how to make it work for your ship.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

I have uploaded five pictures. The first two are before and after on my awning. The third is when I had pulled off most of the old strip. The forth is the old strip after I removed it. You can see it is destroyed as you pull it off. You can see the end and the two wires used to power it. The fifth is a close up showing where the strip was attached to the RV 12v power. On mine there were two plastic caps on the track, one on each end of the track. They just pulled right off and later popped right back on. Then I started pulling the strip out of the track at the end above the steps and door. It pulled off easily. Put the awning out at least a foot to be able to reach the strip easier. I cut the wires at the end of the strip where it was connected to the RV. I cleaned the track with alcohol. I wired the new strip to the RV wiring and then pulled off the new strip backing as I worked down the track putting the new strip up. I cut off the excess, about 1 ft and later put it under the steps. The one color comes with only two wires. The RGB (many colors) strip has four wires and needs to be ordered with a controller. The controller box would need to be wired in. To keep it simple stay with one color. If you are adventuresome, go for the many colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_152310.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	114522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_165749.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	114523   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_153509.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	114524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_165957.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	114525   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_153509d.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	114526  

Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #14

Thumbs up

I ordered this set of lights for $9.00 on Amazon and they arrived in 2 days. I installed them last night and it took longer to get the ladder out of the garage then it did to install them. VERY easy install.Much better than stock. I highly recommend them. I went with white. I might order another set in blue.

For single color (easy two wire hookup, other colors available)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VDNAM74/
Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #15

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, that is fine. But have you ever used the light in the past? They will not have changed.

I'd do 12v,which is what I did. Wired it to a source in the area where the white lights connected. Very easy to do. There is a 900(not literally but almost) page thread on hooking them up. This gives some good ideas of how to make it work for your ship.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Where is this thread you speak of??
Old 09-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ2021 View Post
I ordered this set of lights for $9.00 on Amazon and they arrived in 2 days. I installed them last night and it took longer to get the ladder out of the garage then it did to install them. VERY easy install.Much better than stock. I highly recommend them. I went with white. I might order another set in blue.

For single color (easy two wire hookup, other colors available)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VDNAM74/
Just like the quote above. Simple. My old ones were weak on output.
I will note that on my rig the strip is held in place in a plastic "C" channel. The old ones appeared to not have adhesive on the back since the strip slid out the end of the channel. Even though the new ones would slide into the C channel, I did remove the paper backing and snapped them into the cleaned C channel.
Also, since I may have to replace them again in the future, I crimped plug connectors both to the feed line and the new strip and applied dielectric grease to the connections. I thought it would be better than attempting soldering and shrink taping 10' up the side of the RV on a ladder.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Where is this thread you speak of??
Here you go.
My solution to awning lights

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light, solera