Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Solera DEF how much and how to add

I now have the first level message (def Chk).

I can not find anywhere in the book that documents how much to add. I suppose you just add a cup at a time until I can see that it is about to spill out of the top of the filler tube.

I have a 2.5 gallon container of DEF. This is too big to handle. What is everyone else doing to cut things down to size? I'm thinking about using a one quart plastic pitcher so I can pour a quart at a time into the DEF tank.

The logistics of dealing with this design is non-optimal. Any tips are appreciated.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

I'm interested as well. Is your fill cap in the engine compartment. I believe MB moved that under the hood in later sprinter models. Aslo, what mileage did you have when you got your add DEF message.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

I was told by truckers to fill it up all the way just be careful not to get it on you. It stinks. I understand that when the DEF light comes on you have about .5 gal. of fluid still in the tank. Last time I filled up it took about 1.5 gal. after the light had come on. The first time my light came on was at about 4500 miles and I drove for aother 50 before finding some fluid in the next town I came to.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Mine came on at 4200 miles. I just added until it actually came out the top, didn't mean to let it spill out, but it did. No harm done, though. It takes a lot of fluid to fill it up.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Mine came on at about 4300 miles. Took just over 2 gallons. I believe the Solera uses about one gallon every 2000 miles. I got a couple of one gallon containers from jiffylube (they refilled for me when the light came on). Now refill these from the 2.5 gallon container in my garage and carry the gallon jugs and a dedicated funnel with me. I add one gallon 3000 miles after service, then another gallon every 2000 miles, thereby avoiding the warning light.
Of note, when the light did come on, it did not immediately go out with the refill. To get the light to reset I had to turn off the engine, turn the key until all the warning lights lit, then wait for the lights to go out (20+/- seconds) before starting the engine.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote