Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
tar

Solera -Do you love them??

We are trying to decide between the Solera and a Jayco gas - really like the solera floor plan - wondered if it is worth the extra $$

Thanks for the help
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Tar
We've had our Solera for 3 years now and LOVE it, my wife calls it my toy because I'm always looking for things to upgrade on it. I like the Diesel engine I've had people ask if I'm sure it's a diesel because it's so quite. Something to look into is the life span of a Diesel over a gas engine and the performance. Good luck and consider looking at on-line dealer like RVdirect.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

Yes.....and I had a jayco granite ridge before. The Solera is a big upgrade and so is Forest River customer service!
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

The replies to this question are both very encouraging as I am still "waiting on my W".
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

That is probably the worst part (Waiting), I was being to think my would never arrive. But as they say good things come to those who wait.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Taking my Solera in tomorrow for its 1 year "fix" list before manufacturers warranty expires. The list is really small and all items are minor. I have to say I'm really impressed as a first time MH owner as to the quality FR puts into this product comparable to what I've read.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

We chose the Solera 24R a year and a half ago based on two things, the layout and the Mercedes engine. So far we are satisfied.

A fulltime RVing couple who blogs (www.gonewiththewynns.com) are in the process of blogging their switch from a diesel to gas. I don't know yet the basis of their decision. That should be interesting to read because I don't know the pros and cons for RVs. We're used to diesel for boats (much safer) and have not had difficulty finding fuel for the RV.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

RV Smackdown - Diesel vs Gas
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

Our 2015 24R is our 4th RV. . .We've owned from pickup/camper to 40 foot Diesel Pusher on which we full-timed for several years. Now that we are not longer full-timing the Solera is a perfect fit. We took the Solera to Arizona and back to Oregon towing our CRV. We had several mountains to climb. Really happy with how easily the diesel engine pulled the tow car. I love driving the Solera. We had two models to choose from; one with a bunk in the cabover and one with a large TV and cabinets. We chose the latter, not so much for the TV, but for the storage space.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

We got our very first rv, a 2014 Solera 24 R last June. It took us to Alaska in July and to Florida in October from Colorado Springs. It is awesome The only trouble we have had is the DEF indicator light coming on. MB dealer says the problem is in the sensor and is really not an issue. However, we did learn to carry at least 4 gallons of DEF with us at all times. Next trip in a couple of weeks to Virginia dolly towing a Nissan Versa. We have 2 Australian Shepherds who love to travel in the RV. While we were de-winterizing they just had to sit in it, saying 'where are we going? Wanna go, wanna go'. Very happy with the Solera and plan on going to lots of fun places in it.
Donna and Bob
Nolefans
Nolefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

If the Jayco is manufactured like their (my) 5er, GO with the Solera.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #12

I looked at both and chose the 2014 Solera 24R. I liked the floor plan and felt quality was better than Jayco. Was worth the higher price for us. After almost a year am still happy with our choice.
Good Luck
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
tar

Thanks for the help. We love the floorplan but the maintenance costs have us worried
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

The maintenance can be up there a little but really not that bad. Oil changes are every 10,000, and if you can do it yourself you save there. I did have the fuel filter changed by MB at 19,000 cost about $150 but they also checked recall notices and update the computer. I've found that a lot of things are DIY, manuals and youtube help on a lot of things. If your not afraid to get your hands dirty their not hard to work on. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #15

Solera -Do you love them??

We enjoy traveling in our Solera, and to your specific question...yes, we do love our Solera!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
TARVIDSON

We have put about 7500 miles on our 2015 Solera which we have had for about a year. The Mercedes has given us no problems. By the way they increased the oil changes to 15,000 miles. We have had a couple problems with the coach which the dealer has taken care of at no cost except time. We love going places in the Solera, it turns much sharper than the Fords, does not get thrown around by winds as bad as the Fords, pulls a load without sounding liking a jet taking off like the Fords. It is very easy to drive even in towns. It can be parallel parked! It gets 13-16 mpg.
Negatives are that the black and gray tanks and waste lines are just hanging out in the weather to freeze(We live in the Montana Mountains)(I built a box around mine and installed tank heaters). Number 2 is sway which really doesn't bother me while driving down roads of any description but is bad when turning on uneven ground at slow speeds. There are many threads on this topic if it bothers you enough to do anything about it. So far we really love the Solera, it makes going places and stopping wherever you want a joy.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #17

Absolutely love our Solera!!!
krnlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera