Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #21

Steve68922,
Yes the 3500 is a dually and therefore doesn't get the mileage of a lighter single wheel vehicle. I don't know what to tell you about gas vs diesel. In our case we plan to keep the vehicle a number of years and we wanted the power for hills. (We used to have a Rialta) We hope the diesel will have higher resale value and we will enjoy lower fuel costs. I have the arctic package, but have not used it yet. My rig is winterized and any use it gets from now until spring won't involve water. My wife and I live in Maine and are still working so winter use will be very limited. The vehicle has a color rear camera and that is great. We have been in a few pretty tight spots and I have been very glad I wasn't driving a class A. The Solera is small enough that with a little practice it is very easy to maneuver. I don't want to tow anything either so I plan to put a platform in the receiver so we can carry a scooter or two. That would make life easier than trying to find parking in some resort towns when we want to go out for dinner, etc.
George
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #22

We took our new Solara for a spin (~600 miles) and averaged slightly below 16mpg on HWY 1 in CA towards LA and 13mpg coming back to the bay area on HWY 101. I didn't expect much better than that in the first place given that we carried a full load of water with us.
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
John

I can only wish.. Brand new '11 Solera and my first two trips, although short were all frwy and I'm only getting 12.9. cant even break 13 mpg,
I'm starting slow and not going over 65 (cruise control mostly) climb hills at 55-60.
This is my second Class C and I put a lot of miles on my truck/camper.
Guess I need to take it to Mercedes ?

John
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #24

SoCal Solera,
The mileage you are getting is about what I got when I first got my Solera. The mileage has improved to 16-17 mpg now that we have around 5K miles on the rig. I have read of people who have Winnebago Views that got 17 mpg right "out of the box". I don't know what the difference is. Maybe a bit more streamlined? If you take it to a Mercedes dealer I would be interested in what they say. Good luck.
George
Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #25

I suspect the Mercedes dealer is going to say:

1) This is a Freightliner - go to the Freightliner dealer.
2) They all do that
3) Wait until you have 10K miles on the engine

The order might vary on his response.

To the Winnebago comparison with 17mpg. They are more streamlined and 'should' get better mileage. Plus what View is compared - if it is the Profile and it doesn't get better mileage something is seriously wrong. For the normal ones I would expect 2-3mpg better which isn't significant (in my view).

The last trip we averaged 13-15mpg (going 65 and then 60) on Hwy 101. Going above 65 and hills are significantly lowering the mileage.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
brania

It's been a while since I've checked in. Still have not slept in the new Solera but am itching to do so. On the trip back from Albany we got 15 mpg. From previous posts this is unusually high. 1st week of vacation is may so hopefully we can dig it out for use then. Is there any interest in a Solera "Rally" in the spring? Any ideas for destinations are appreciated. Andy
brania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #27
John

Thanks for your (quick) responses, Much appreciated. I'll wait till after the first service that might make a difference.
On her maiden voyage to a high desert starparty over New Years the furnace failed around 2 AM in 23 degree weather and had to pack it up and leave just to get warm with the cab heater...
She's going in for repair of the electric step, heater, a hole in the bathroom door, and the big storage
compartment door where only one latch actually connects.

A rally would be nice.... I can bring some telescopes if anybody likes astronomy.

John
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #28

My Solera came with a Dodge grille. The only Dodge dealer that will work on it is in NH - I live in Maine. Not because of any service issue, I replaced the Dodge grille with a Mercedes grille. I also replaced the symbol on the steering wheel and removed the "3500" from the sides. The local (35 miles away) Mercedes/Sprinter dealer is very willing to support service on it. I don't think their support is related to the grille replacement. I went in to the Mercedes dealer because I had a ticking sound in a front wheel at low speeds. The Service guy recommended, before my appointment date, that I try lubricating the hub cap. I thought he was nuts. It worked. The noise stopped. He saved me a service charge. I wonder how they figured that one out.
This fall I crawled underneath and tried to seal up any possible openings to prevent critters from getting in during the winter. I still got a mouse under the stove. Now I have the DCon out. Can't imagine how he got in. I realize it doesn't take much of an opening.
George
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #29

Smile solera milage etc

Have now taken two trips in my Solera. Purchased 12/2010. Unit is freightliner
Last trip 400 miles up the california coast from San Diego averaged 17 mpg - stayed at 55 mph, previous trip about 700 miles averaged about 15 at same speed from san diego to death valley. Had the fan motor burn out on the cab heater and mercedes in San Diego did the repairs

Ben
Dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #30

Brania,
I am beginning to think you and I are the only two Solera owners on the east coast. What are your thoughts on a "rally" to Acadia come spring?
George
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #31
John

Well for the second trip we got 14 mpg but I had to keep it slow (55-60) for the last 100 mi. because I needed fuel. When the last bar is lit and the
Little gas pump comes on my Solera will only take 19-20 gallons. When I did stop I only put in 5 gallons because it was $ 4 per
And cheaper at home, anyway it didn't even register the 5 gallons...
Still Santa Barbara was beautiful and not too cold actually rather warm... (sorry east coast)

This thing is actually fun to drive and since I'm going slower I'm seeing more, my dealer fixed the heater and the electric step, well
Kinda as the step did quit for about half a day them started working again.

I added a second 100 amp battery, now I need solar panels,and a screen room any ideas ?

John
In So.Cal.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #32
brania

acadia rally

sounds great to me.
long weekend is possible
Andy
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #33
John

Hi kids,
When out to another starparty last weekend, just fair skies decent temps and the heater worked this time,
Wish I could say that for the electric step third failure, once, before the 3 week visit to the dealer, once,
temporarily on a visit to Santa Barbara, this time it isn't temporary and hasn't worked in almost a week,
I have to find out what they do so I can do it myself.
I hit some strong side winds dropping down to Palm Springs and was surprised how well it did, I was a little worried do to the tall sides, but it did well.

John
Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #34

Brought home our Solera last Friday and are planning a short weekend jaunt tomorrow. Love the room and storage compared to the Itasca and Winnie models we looked at and the Mercedes emblem was a real surprise! This is our first RV though we've owned a '79 Prowler and a 4 horse trailer with LQ in the past. Only question so far is draining the black and grey tanks. The supplied hose is pretty dinky but the nice Rhino hose with swivel heads from the horse trailer will not attach to the drain and the standard 90deg doesn't have room to rotate. What are you using and are you happy with it? Assuming you can ever really be happy draining sewage into a sewer! We have some really big travel plans later this year and can't wait to break in our new rig. See you on the roads!

Charles and Ruth Anne
ever4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #35

Day and Night Shades:

Hi! I love my Solera, purchased 1/1/10. I put 8K miles last year. No problems to report.
Planning trip to Florida this summer (from So Cal).
Did any of you change the shades to day/n/night type?

TIA
1Hoinar
1hoinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #36

Ever4ward,
I have experienced the same "joy" with my Rhino hose. When they installed the drain they didn't get it aligned with the hole out of the compartment. I have to unscrew the connector on the end of my Rhino hose, put the hose through the compartment opening, then reconnect the connector to the hose. I can then hook up and drain. It is either this or use some flimsey hose that increases my concern of a possible spill. If the opening was just a bit larger there would be no problem. There is an angle in the bottom of the compartment that prevents a larger opening from being installed. Good luck
George
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #37
brania

george.......why sell the solera......does it have issues? should I be worried?

Andy
Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #38

Solera

Andy,
There is no problem with the Solera. I put it on the market rather half heartedly. We bought a new house in AZ and thought it might simplify our move if we didn't have the Solera to be concerned about moving. As I said it is rather half hearted since I don't know when we will move. We may not move for a year or two. So if it doesn't sell that is OK with me. In fact I would love to get one more trip to Cape Breton Island before we go west. How did you know I was selling it?
George
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #39

Hi,
New to the Group-Looking forward to buying a Solera around Jan/Feb 2013. I have done a lot of research on the sprinter RV's since the View/Navion came out in 2006. I will probably buy out-of-state (Florida) since most of the dealers here do not want to negotiate at all. The dealership-Lewis RV (Ohio) looks to be pretty reputable and has the “Best Prices-Out-the-Door.” Appreciate any ideas or thought’s you all might have to help make my purchase and hopefully avoid some stumbling blocks. Thanks in advance.
Respectfully to All,
Zama
PS: Not too Happy about the MPG replies-should be much better!
amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zama View Post
Hi,
New to the Group-Looking forward to buying a Solera around Jan/Feb 2013. I have done a lot of research on the sprinter RV's since the View/Navion came out in 2006. I will probably buy out-of-state (Florida) since most of the dealers here do not want to negotiate at all. The dealership-Lewis RV (Ohio) looks to be pretty reputable and has the “Best Prices-Out-the-Door.” Appreciate any ideas or thought’s you all might have to help make my purchase and hopefully avoid some stumbling blocks. Thanks in advance.
Respectfully to All,
Zama
PS: Not too Happy about the MPG replies-should be much better!

i suggest rvdirect. they are the least expensive i could find. I also am looking at the new model solera 24m
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera