Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Had just over 10,500 miles on the original tires, Continental Vanco. When they took the duals off the right side, on the inside of 1 tire was a cut. It was straight into the tire and there were no abrasions on either tire. Plus the sidewall was starting to bulge. Seems the only way it could have happened was before the tires were installed.
Sure am glad I decided toget the TPMS and metal valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Conti Vanco. 16,000 like new.

2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
A couple of issues here. Someone mentioned rotation and others age.

Most of what I know about tires and RVs comes from owning a 40' diesel pusher for several years, but not sure if what applies to a 31,000 pound vehicle is the same as what applies to a 11,000 pound vehicle.

That said, I was told more than once not to rotate the tires. The great weight difference between the rear and front made putting the rear tires upfront unacceptable.

Additionally, and this applies to all vehicles I think, tires should be replaced every 5 or 6 years (7 max if kept covered when stored) regardless of tread. The big DP tires never wore the tread down in 5 - 7 years, but from what I'm reading on the forum our OEM tire tread probably won't last that long anyway.

Buy the way, my DP came with Continental tires. At my first change I switched to Michelin. The ride was so improved I now buy only Michelin for all my vehicles and will do so when I have to replace the OEM on the Solera.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
I have Kumho tires but only about 16k miles so they look great.

I'm a firm believer in maintaining the tires per manufacturer recommendations. that includes inflation pressures as well as rotating.

The Solera uses the exact same tire front and rear so as long as they are inflated properly for front and rear use, I see no reason not to rotate them per the manual.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
Ogsarg ~ you are probably right. Even though the back tires carry about 60% of the Solera's weight, each tire front/back carries about the same weight. Sometimes different in a Diesel Pusher -- depending on four or eight rear tires.

Yes, can't emphasis enough maintaining correct air pressure for the weight (front and rear). I check mine prior to every trip.

lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #16
I have Kumho tires. I just turned 33 k on my 012 Solera I have rotated 3 times and balanced once. I keep the air pressure at the high range. The tires look great and I don't anticipate replacing before 40K.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

jcinca is offline   Reply With Quote

mileage, solera, tire