Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Solera retractable step fuse location

Solera owners; does anybody know where the fuse is located for the retractable steps on a Solera.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Solera owners; does anybody know where the fuse is located for the retractable steps on a Solera.
It's located in the battery control center (on the kitchen side of the entry steps). I think it's labeled "Electric Seat". (Maybe auto corrected from "Electric Step"???) I think it's fuse # 5...

Dave

Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Ok, that was quick. Fuse is located in the BCC step well in position F5. Now the interesting part. I pulled and replaced the fuse and the steps resumed working. Just a thought, could the contacts have been dirty. Also, it is a 20 amp fuse, but its configuration is not like the regular color coded ones. This fuse is much longer. Does anyone know why it is a different shape, does it have other fuctionality than the colored short stubby ones?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Also, it is a 20 amp fuse, but its configuration is not like the regular color coded ones. This fuse is much longer. Does anyone know why it is a different shape, does it have other fuctionality than the colored short stubby ones?
As I recall, the fuse I replaced was just a standard automotive fuse. Also, as far as I know, a fuse is a fuse - there are regular fuses and slow blow fuses, though I'm not sure that any automotive fuses are slow blow. Check the wikipedia article here:
Fuse (automotive) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave

PS - Can you post a picture of the fuse???
Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Now the interesting part. I pulled and replaced the fuse and the steps resumed working.
One thing I've observed with my step (which may be observational error rather than fact...) is that it seems like the step has some sort of delay built in to it. If I try to run it in and out too quickly, it just won't do it. If I wait a while (not sure how long) then it will start working again.

Dave
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
One thing I've observed with my step (which may be observational error rather than fact...) is that it seems like the step has some sort of delay built in to it. If I try to run it in and out too quickly, it just won't do it. If I wait a while (not sure how long) then it will start working again.

Dave
X2
Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Stair operational update. Thanks to a friend of mine who also owns a Solera we both did a "tune up" on the stair pivot mechanism. Steps taken;
1. pull fuse to render steps inoperable
2. disconnected one end of the linkage to allow free swing movement of stair mechanism.
3. observed steps to be working unusually hard in full travel back and forth motion.
4. inspected, lubricated (again) ALL pivot points.
5. after observance of continued restricted step movement, adjusted pivot point bolts (loosened), to allow steps movement to become unrestricted. This, as others have summized, effects the black box controller to halt step movement when step movement is labored. I believe the controller in concert with the fuseable circuit, are the design functions to protect the step mechanism.
6. reconnected linkage end and replaced fuse.

My overall observations with these steps have demonstrated that the black box will stop the operation of step movement before the fuse will blow. Thus leaving the steps inoperable until the step movement resistance is addressed. After this tune up, the steps are operating without issues.

Tags
cat, fuse, location, solera