Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Solera Storage Between Trips

We are VERY new to this. So far we have spent a total of three nights on two trips. Super fun! Unfortunately, our next excursion won't be until November. In the meantime it is outside in the Florida heat.

What are the basic things we should do to store it between trips? For example, our grey tank apparently still has some water, is that bad? Toilet has some water in it, is that bad? What do you do about the refrigerator between trips, etc.?

We are thinking about moving it inside after free storage period is over. Would that be better? It is definitely more expensive. Worth it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Suzasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Unless you live some where that has some restrictions you can pretty much dump a gray tank almost anywhere. The Black tank is another matter. I was told to always keep a little water in the toilet to keep the gasket from drying out. I clean out the frig after each trip and got some of those door keepers that allow the door to be secured in a slightly open position. I'm in Iowa and during the Winter I store my outside in the driveway with a cover over it and covers on the tires. I then check it out when ever I can to make sure the batteries and everything else is OK. I also have it plugged into a 120V outlet.

If you can get inside storage for it I'd say go for it.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

You should dump the water out of the fresh tank and water heater.
If you have power where you will store it at the you could leave the fridge running if you wish.

I would not because if it was unplugged or there was an extended power outage this could cause a problem.

As for the storage inside would be better over the long haul as long as you want to pony up for the bill.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

I live in North Florida and keep mine on shore pwr during the summer heat. I have the AC on to keep it from getting to hot inside and to dehumidify.

When I am not on AC I place one or two of the large Damp Rid containers inside to keep the moisture down.

I don't cover it but I do keep it washed and waxed with a UV protective wax.

The frig is off with the doors blocked open with the blue tabs that it came with. I turn the frig on the day before heading out on a trip.

I keep a little water in each tank just to keep things moist and to have something for the arctic pack to heat in the winter if it is going to get excessively cold.

This is how I do it. Does not mean that my way is better than someone else.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

I definitely recommend inside storage. I store mine in a pole building. It remains clean and dry keeping it looking new inside and out for years. If outside at least cover it with a quality breathable cover. However if you trade it in every couple years then you probably don't need to worry.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera, storage