Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Solera, Towing and brake controllers

I'm hoping bclemens can answer these questions...

I own a 2009 Solera and am getting ready to purchase a tow dolly. The dolly I'm interested in has electric brakes which require a small battery. It also has an optional on-board brake controller which eliminates the need to install an electronic brake controller in the cab.

I know my Solera has a system controller that powers the brake lights, rear turn signals and 7-blade connector. It was replaced under warranty with an up-rev'd unit in 2010. The questions I've got have to do with that controller:

1) Is there a maximum current draw I should be aware of? Do I need to be concerned about whether the current required to run the dolly's on-board brake controller might be greater than what my Solera's system controller can provide?
2) If I decide to not use the tow dolly's on-board brake controller, is my Solera pre-wired for a brake controller? If so, where's the information about that wiring so I can make the installation of a brake controller in the cab easier?
3) Are there any other gotchas about connecting a trailer's wiring to the 7-blade connector on the Solera I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help,

Davie

Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
GM

You can hope...but I think Jamiller45 might have more info than me in this area.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Coachmen Adrenaline

I have emails out to our supplier of the rear light/7 way plug controller and to our MB techs regarding your inquiries. I will respond again when I have some answers.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Thank you, jamiller45 - I'll sit tight and wait for your reply.

Best regards,

Davie
Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Coachmen Adrenaline

Davie,
If you can pm me an email address I can forward the MB response and also pdf files of the wiring schematic of the rear lighting controller. This may give you some more insight as to how to tie into it...
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #6

jamiller45,

I got all the info you sent to me privately and it's helped tremendously. Thanks for all the support - you rock the house!

Davie
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Coachmen Adrenaline

You are more than welcome. Glad I could help. Please feel free to contact me in the future with other inquiries.

Tags
brake control, controller, towing, wiring, brakes