Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #21

Solera is sold at Camping world in Hanover pa. not far from Frederick. I've had some unpleasant dealings with Beckleys.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #22

beware of Bio diesel

We have a 2013 24R and so far have put 23,000 miles on it. Overall we are satisfied with the unit, although we did have a good number of defects, but were able to fix most of them ourselves.
Unfortunately, we would not buy the same model again because of the Diesel fuel issue that just has come to our attention. Mercedes states that they will void your warranty if you use bio diesel fuel that contains more than 5% BIO. As we just discovered, the only diesel fuel available in the corn belt states is 20%+ bio diesel. Therefore, you cannot travel through these states without compromising your warranty. And the way things go, more and more states will go the same route, leaving you with less and less options to travel.
Too bad for we liked the performance of the Blue Tec engine.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #23

I believe MB has changed their stance on Bio 20 diesel and it won't void your warranty. There are some stipulations and your local MB dealer could clarify those for you/us.

I also have a 2013 chassis and have used Bio 20 when I had to.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #24

Thanks for the info bill will. Beckley's is just a couple miles from us and their parents estate is just next door. Their inventory is not very extensive.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #25

Mikegjax is correct in that the stance has been modified. The issue with biodiesel has to do with regeneration of the diesel particulate filter, not its performance in the diesel engine itself. much discussion of this over on the sprinter-source forum.

I'll make an attempt to summarize what I learned studying this over at sprinter-source, and would ask others to further correct or clarify this...

In general, any diesel fuel not consumed by regeneration gets drawn back into the ENGINE OIL pan where it is expected to properly vaporize as the engine runs. >5% biodiesel has a higher flash point than ulsd, thus it doesn't vaporize as well. the result can be a rising oil level that can damage the engine if left unchecked. when forced to use the higher bio content fuel, use the electronic means of checking your oil level, keeping an eye on it. in general, regens will occur at intervals of 300 miles (approx) if running at highway speeds (and take 15-20 mins to successfully complete, consuming the fuel washed into the dpf by injecting extra quantities into the exhaust stroke of the engine, forcing it into the exhaust pipe where it is captured by the dpf), so each time you fill up, follow instructions for checking oil level. if oil level is high, be prepared to remove some using a manual pump that works thru the dipstick tube. after using >20% bio a lot, shorten the oil change interval.
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #26

Not sure this means anything or not, but when pulling our car into a gas station in Iowa this week I noticed to flavors of unleaded gas -- one with ethanol and one without. Presumably this is to accommodate all the small engine carburetors out there that get fouled by the ethanol when not in use. Perhaps there would be a trend to offer multiple flavors of diesel?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #27

I dont think that would happen in the corn belt states. Several of these mandate the level of biodiesel - meaning you cant sell anything but bio blends. And even if there were a few boutique blend station, with a 25gal tank you dont get a lot of options to roam around looking for the right station.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #28
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

1. this forum
2. W floorplan
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
1. this forum
2. W floorplan
3. R floorplan?

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
3. R floorplan?
We were going to buy an "R" until I saw the early videos of the "W" bclemens posted. The extra space of the "W" immediately won us over for the longer trips we have planned.

I do think the "R" is better for quick overnight stops. With it just extending the bed, versus the entire drivers side wall, is a nice option. And you do have more "basement" space.
But when you open up the "W" you'll find that "W" = WOW!
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #31

My RVing friends have dubbed our R "The Cramper". They have a 42' Bus. I can't wait to see the W. Might be time to upgrade. Although you can't beat the R for basement storage.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #32

I wish the W had come out earlier, I would have liked it better than our S. Other than the bed we love our S model. If you want to talk about a Cramper?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I wish the W had come out earlier, I would have liked it better than our S. Other than the bed we love our S model. If you want to talk about a Cramper?

We looked at the S before we bought the R. (As the R had just come out) As it turns out the S might have worked out better because my wife sleeps next to one kid and I sleep next to the other in the overhead bunk. It's pretty "Cramped" with a family of 4. These units are better for 2 people. With all that said we still love our MH and it's only really cramped when it's extremely hot outside in the summer and we all come in to get out of the heat. You can't beat the MBS platform for driving. Planning our 5K mile trip for next summer.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #34

We did take our 2 grand daughters on a trip a couple of years ago and the S did work out very well. The problem we have now a days is our other 2 kids want to sleep with us in the corner bed and it's a little more than cramped. Luck for us their some what small dogs.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Inside storage with the "W"

I've been seriously look in at the "W" but no one in our area has the "W" in stock and I want to see one before making any decisions.

I did see a video online and noticed that the "W" lacks any of the storage compartments above the dinette table or around the bed like the other models. Because of this, it seems to be lacking storage inside the RV when you compare it against the other models. Maybe I'll get to see one up close at the RV show in September.
Keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #36

My wife and I traveled the US for nine years in a Pleasure-way, Dodge Chassis, Class B. Then bought the Solera. After the pleasure-way the Solera is the Taj Mahal. The solera comes no where near the Pleasure-way in quality. I crossed the country five times in the Pleasure-way and camped from Main to Key West with nary a problem with the possible exception of consumables (brakes, belts, batteries, etc.). Unfortunately no space.

I sold Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Gulfstream. I know the View and Pulse well. In my opinion the 24R is a much better value than either for mentioned. The 24R has given me no problems that could not be addressed. FR has treated me great.

By their nature Camper Vans (Pleasure-way, Roadtrec, etc) have much better body integrity therefor a much sturdier product.

All-in-all I love my 24R
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera