Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your input; you have reinforced my thoughts on price differences and it's good to hear that you have not had any major issues. We are currently in NB and will be visiting Lewis RV in OH on our way home next week. They seem to have a decent rep and a good selection of N/V/FR models.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #12

We had a quote from Lewis RV that was very good but our local dealer reluctantly got close to the price so we bought it local (100 miles away) due to servicing. As you read this forum you will notice that servicing after the PDI is almost a for sure thing and you will be on the bottom of the list at another dealer. They will honor the FR warranty but they will put all vehicles purchased from them ahead of you.
Another thing to think of when buying a sprinter based is where the closest Mercedes or freightliner dealer is located. I have a freightliner dealer 125 miles away and a Mercedes dealer that services Sprinter(they all don't)160 miles away.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Amen it that, I don't worry so much about the FR coach warranty things I do a lot of my own work there. But if something happens with the MB chassis that's another matter all together. Luckily for me I have a MB dealer about 15 miles away which work on Sprinters. Good luck on your MH and Happy Travels.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
We had a quote from Lewis RV that was very good but our local dealer reluctantly got close to the price so we bought it local (100 miles away) due to servicing. As you read this forum you will notice that servicing after the PDI is almost a for sure thing and you will be on the bottom of the list at another dealer. They will honor the FR warranty but they will put all vehicles purchased from them ahead of you.
Another thing to think of when buying a sprinter based is where the closest Mercedes or freightliner dealer is located. I have a freightliner dealer 125 miles away and a Mercedes dealer that services Sprinter(they all don't)160 miles away.
Not all Freightliner dealers will work on MB Sprinters so take that in consideration.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

Thanks SSmbs and hkreck -- good points to consider.

We have an MB dealer w/in 25 miles. They have several Sprinters for sale and I have left a message with them just to be sure.

We also have a RV dealer that has several FR/Win/Itasca models, but not near the inventory at Lewis. I suppose this would work if we were to order a new one. In any case, we'll see what Lewis can do for us w/o leaving a deposit so that we have that leverage if needed.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
And, just know that a Mercedes dealer that does service Sprinters will frequently also put you at the bottom of their service list since you didn't buy it from them. Been there and done that.

I've had one MB dealer treat me exceptionally well and another treat me like dirt. The latter took 11 days to complete a very simple, one-hour charge warranty repair.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #17

I've never had a problem with my MB dealer/service, they've also checked for warranty issues and computer updates every time I've gone into see them. It really depends on the people your dealing with.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I've never had a problem with my MB dealer/service, they've also checked for warranty issues and computer updates every time I've gone into see them. It really depends on the people your dealing with.
X2. I have used two different MB Sprinter dealers. One for warranty work while traveling and another for servicing and both were very helpful and thorough. I did make appointments, as I would any dealer.

MB sends out surveys after service and a complaint gets their attention.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #19

I agree with most other folks who selected FR over Winnebago. We are not long time Rv owners but we did have 2009 Winnebago ERA before we got our 2014 FR Solera. For us the main factors for choosing Solera over Winnebago was price, floor plan, storage, and interior color options.

Also based on our experience with new Winnebago and FR RVs, all RVs owners will have to go through a year or so of getting the rig fine tuned (warranty repairs, little bugs, individual add ons and learning how it works best for you).

Also, regarding warranty/after sale support, FR wins hands down in my view (no pun intended). While I have not been overly impressed with the dealer we bought our Solara from, the FR Factory warranty folks have been great and never blinked on any item covered under warranty period but also covered two or three other items after the initial warranty had expired. I cannot say I had the same experience with Winnebago. We now go to Camping World instead of dealer for any repair. The FR Forum is great too!!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #20

Buying a new motor home is not like buying a new car. A friend of mine warned me of this before my Solera arrived. It's more like buying a new house and a new truck. When you buy a new house, you will most likely come up with a "punch list" of things that need fixed. That's exactly what happened when I bought my Solera. I had a punch list. After two months, just about everything has been fixed. Fortunately, the core big ticket items have all been just fine. All of the systems work: heat, AC, water heater, refrigerator, electrical systems, etc. Except for cables controlling the waste valves, and one miss-wired light, everything else has been cosmetic. I too looked at the Navion/View. I liked them and almost bought one. I chose the Solera because of the W floor plan, which nobody else has, and because of the value. To me, the Navion/View was just not worth the price differential.

I am fortunate to live close to a Sprinter dealer. I used them to verify the VIN in order to get my Solera titled and registered in my home state and they re-balanced the front wheels for me. They were very accommodating when scheduling and performing the work. I have not yet needed any other service work, but I don't expect any issues there.

Tags
solera