Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Solera vs View/Navion

Hi all!

Jan and I have spent several months researching various types of RV's and have settled on 22-26' class C's with either diesel or gas chassis. We like the perceived quality of the V/N models, but have recently discovered the Solera which seems like it might be a better value.

Am curious as to why any of you out there chose the Solera over the V/N and if you continue to be pleased with your selection. We are interested in the 24SLED.

Reading the V/N forum we find that many owners have found issues with quality control on new units -- have you found a lot of issues with your new units?

Thanks in advance!

Dick and Jan
Frederick, MD
rcbruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
When we choose 3 years ago , solera s model had way more storage and seemed a lot bigger inside. When we camp we bring a lot of stuff with us. We liked the full body paint too, which views didn't have at the time. A few issues in the beginning but perfect since.

Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Originally Posted by rcbruba View Post
Reading the V/N forum we find that many owners have found issues with quality control on new units -- have you found a lot of issues with your new units?
We were supposed to take delivery of our new Sunseeker 2400W today but a Check Engine Light has delayed the delivery.

Since we were already at the dealership my wife and I did a very close visual once over of the unit. We thought any thing we pointed out today might be addressed before our next visit.

During an hour of our closely looking at our 2400W, both inside and outside, we found three issues:

1. The rear bumper paint was damaged in transit and needs touched up. We have the full body paint option so it is quite noticeable.

2. One of the passenger seat belts installed at the dinette table looks like it was caught in the slide mechanism. It's pretty mangled and has a hole in it.

3. The cargo style net that supposed to be installed above the USB Device Charging center wasn't installed.

I'm pretty happy with our Forest River issues list so far... We will do a real, full PDI, testing all the systems, when it comes back from M-B. I'll post the results of that as well.

We also spent a long time looking at various brands of Class C's, and big B's, before choosing our unit. Forest Rivers decision to re-brand the Solera MBS as Sunseeker MBS and Forester MBS made it easier as it added greatly to the dealer network. The introduction of the "W" floor plan closed the deal as it is the roomiest Class C, in the under 25 foot arena, we've ever seen. While we haven't taken delivery yet, we both think we chose the right Class C for us...
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
We take possession of our Forest River Forester 2401W MBS (pretty close to the Solera...with a few other options) on Monday. We too spent what seemed to be an eternity looking and reading about different units. We knew from the start 26' was our absolute max. We have rented the large units for 2 weeks for the last 16 years and enjoyed them immensely we took them 1K miles parked and returned the same 1K miles. This also taught us that when we wanted to get our own and see all of the United States, we wanted a much smaller unit. In our humble opinion, in the under 24' class, it is the best one going as far as space, towing, and power train. My biggest concern that we already have a solution for, is the limited LP gas for the LP generator.

Starting Monday we will be driving it about 3500 miles over a 10 day period so we should have a pretty solid 'real world' understanding at that time.

I am sure you are looking at a number of models and thing we visually noticed from our inspection is they are not all put together the same...I will leave names out, but some looked like they may not last a year from purchase.
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by rcbruba View Post
Reading the V/N forum we find that many owners have found issues with quality control on new units --
See, even the sacred Winnebagos have quality control issues.

as i and many have said before, poor quality control is a industry-wide problem throughout the RV business, not just Forest River.
EVERY brand, including Winnebago and Airstream, have quality issues.

i often challenge complainers here to check out or other brand-specific forums. then they'd see that everyone else complains about their non-FR brand's poor quality control issues too.

is it right, of course not! but it's where the Industry is at nowadays.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
All that being said, I think 20 grand more just doesn't seem to fit. Besides, I thought it just seemed better (Solera), but thats our personal opinion.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
X2 with sandiegodoug and Still kickin, Had our Solera for 3 years had it out for 4 summers total and love it. getting ready to go out again next week before school starts.
Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Didn't see the value added with the more expensive V/N, the Solera has more storage space and opening the passenger side bay door (to the big compartment in the back) didn't also open the bedroom to the outside. What were they thinking when they designed that?
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
Agree on the +$20k price differential between FR and W/N units. The W/N certainly have lots of eye candy ... fancy biz jet style cabinetry ... Alcoa wheels ... chromed plastic name plates .. among others. Our Solera 24S has more storage and we just couldn't see the added $20k of value. We have no regrets about choosing the '15 Solera.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Dick and Jan

We also spent considerable time (approx a year) noodling about the size and options. We finally decided though a bigger space would be nice, we needed a more maneuverable, fuel efficient rig. Hence the 22-26 foot range was the goal. We plan to do very little extended stays, couple nights here and there and then move on. We did decide on the MB Sprinter chassis vs. the Ford or Chevy. Looked at the View etc. Ended up with a Coachmen Prism. We do not like the duck bills over the cabs and the Prism we got (24J) fit the list. We have had it for a month and not only are using it for camping we are using it as a local transport. It is easy to park, level, and can put almost anywhere. It comes standard with a 40gal propane tank. Handy to have the extra gas storage since the Genny is LP. While I really liked the View, it was a bit more $, and the dealer was significantly further away. By the way you can get a diesel genset on this rig. However, we bought ours off the lot and did not want to bother placing order, and waiting...waiting... waiting.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote