Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Solera weight limit question from soon to be newbie

I'm looking seriously at Solera sprinter 24R, and was surprised on weight limits. maybe I'm misunderstanding them...
11030 GVWR
9852 UVW (Unloaded vehicle weight, including full diesel fuel, and normal oil fluids but not fresh water or LPG). I understand this is estimate and might be different depending on options, but it is the only published figure I have found.
1178 - remaining cargo carrying capacity (people, fresh water, LPG, and other stuff).

If starting out with full fresh water tanks and LPG, then subtract (294lb for 35 gal water tank + 50lb for 6 gal hot water heater water, and 68 LPG, total of 412lb) for remaining allowance for passengers and cargo of 766lbs.

If going on a trip with 4 adults (say 600lb), then very little left for food, and other cargo (only 170lb!!!!!). Granted if only going with 2 it may be manageable, but it concerns me on the implications of exceeding the limit indicated in other posts.

We were gravitating to this model because of storage it gave, and also sleeping options for 4 or more people as compared to other Class B and C 24' Sprinter options (Plateau, Siesta, View), but the weight limits don't seem to support that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Rich
First post. Looking forward to joining the RV community
Rich RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich RV View Post
I'm looking seriously at Solera sprinter 24R, and was surprised on weight limits. maybe I'm misunderstanding them...
11030 GVWR
9852 UVW (Unloaded vehicle weight, including full diesel fuel, and normal oil fluids but not fresh water or LPG). I understand this is estimate and might be different depending on options, but it is the only published figure I have found.
1178 - remaining cargo carrying capacity (people, fresh water, LPG, and other stuff).

If starting out with full fresh water tanks and LPG, then subtract (294lb for 35 gal water tank + 50lb for 6 gal hot water heater water, and 68 LPG, total of 412lb) for remaining allowance for passengers and cargo of 766lbs.

If going on a trip with 4 adults (say 600lb), then very little left for food, and other cargo (only 170lb!!!!!). Granted if only going with 2 it may be manageable, but it concerns me on the implications of exceeding the limit indicated in other posts.

We were gravitating to this model because of storage it gave, and also sleeping options for 4 or more people as compared to other Class B and C 24' Sprinter options (Plateau, Siesta, View), but the weight limits don't seem to support that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Rich
First post. Looking forward to joining the RV community
I think all the Sprinter chassis will really have about the same weight restrictions (in general). When we were going to KW last month, we were filled to the brim - complete with four metal dog fences, and full fresh water. Right before we left, I took it to be weighed. We were slightly over - but the handling of the unit was fine. I'm no longer going to worry about it!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Always Learning

Rich RV, you have it exactly right.

The problem is that even the UVW is possibly unrealistically low - if you have the dealer add anything on or if you do any mods, you likely have increased its weight. The "best" UVW that you can go off of is the yellow sticker on the unit that you're considering buying (I assume motorhomes have these).

Note, I've read differing opinions if full propane is included in the UVW or not. But still...

A lot of people go based off of DebbieMH's view - they get weighed and make an educated decision if they're going to overload the vehicle or not. For some, the axle weight ratings and tire capacities are what they go off of as "gospel" vs. the overall gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). For me, with towing - I'm an "all ratings matter" kind of guy. I'm not sure how my views would be if I were motorhoming and had units so close to the GVWR. The chassis are only rated for so much and we want so many features inside- weight is a constant battle.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Commercial Member

All of us who build on a Sprinter platform are limited by the same GVWR. If you want to be 24'...you've got to sacrifice other areas. That's the tradeoff in staying small on that diesel platform. You can go to a 2300 or 2250 on a Chevy and get 14,200lbs of GVWR.

I posted a weight calculator a while back on the Sprinter. If you travel with very little fresh water that's half the battle.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I posted a weight calculator a while back on the Sprinter. If you travel with very little fresh water that's half the battle.
I agree. We ALWAYS dump before leaving camp, and only travel with enough fresh water to flush toilet a few times. Admittedly carry bottled water with us for drinking, though. So far, no weight problems, but taking a 3 week trip come September, and I'm sure we'll have to do some close calculations!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

The Solera 24R was our first choice. However, someone pointed out on the forums that trailer tongue weight also contributes to GVWR. Oops – forgot that! We ended up going with the Ford chassis and the V-10 torque monster. And since we can't seem to leave the house without bringing everything, we went with the 2650S with its 3,400lb cargo capacity.
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Carozzoni View Post
The Solera 24R was our first choice. However, someone pointed out on the forums that trailer tongue weight also contributes to GVWR. Oops – forgot that! We ended up going with the Ford chassis and the V-10 torque monster. And since we can't seem to leave the house without bringing everything, we went with the 2650S with its 3,400lb cargo capacity.
So, did you go with a Lexington? I'm a little confused?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Sunseeker 2650S. Can't leave home without the race car ;o)
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Carozzoni View Post
Sunseeker 2650S. Can't leave home without the race car ;o)
Cool - enjoy!