Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Solera Wind Sensitivity.

I am new to RVing and a new Solera owner. I'm on my second trip and, so far, I love my Solera. However, I have one big concern. It seems very sensitive to wind. By the time I reach my destination, my hands, wrists and arms are sore and my psyche spent! Too much white knuckling, I suspect. I'm sure much of this is due to my inexperience driving a MH, but it sure seems to get whipped around in the wind. I bought the Solera thinking it would be easier to drive. Is this to be expected and is there anything I can do to help alleviate the issue? Am I the only one feeling this? I would much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, all!
Ol lady and the C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol lady and the C View Post
I am new to RVing and a new Solera owner. I'm on my second trip and, so far, I love my Solera. However, I have one big concern. It seems very sensitive to wind. By the time I reach my destination, my hands, wrists and arms are sore and my psyche spent! Too much white knuckling, I suspect. I'm sure much of this is due to my inexperience driving a MH, but it sure seems to get whipped around in the wind. I bought the Solera thinking it would be easier to drive. Is this to be expected and is there anything I can do to help alleviate the issue? Am I the only one feeling this? I would much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, all!
Many Solera owners have replaced the factory sway bar with the Hellwig 7254. The heavier bar does improve handling under windy conditions and when big trucks pass you the RV does not want to change lanes. I have driven mine as much as 10 hours on more than one occasion and don't really get tired.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I am new to driving a motorhome, but found that the first trip was very hard, driving was exhausting (400 mile round trip). The 2nd trip was 3000 miles. The first day was hard, the 2nd day was not as bad, the 3rd day was ok,... by the 7 day of driving it felt much more car like. Give it some time, watch your speed (55 is fine when you are getting started, 65 is about as fast as I want to drive).

Good luck.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Seat time will help make it better. You will become more comfortable with time.
sawdust58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

X2 on the Hellwig sway bar and the SumoSprings have made it even better in the wind.

They keep that big top heavy box on the MBS chassis in check.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

(It seems very sensitive to wind.)

Yes, go with the Helwig. I had one installed on my '15 Solera and it made an incredible difference. Love it.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Very surprising to hear this. Compared to other large vehicles, I find the Solera to be great to drive. I live near a pass that is infamous for gusty winds and I find the Solera as easy to drive there as I did my Dodge minivan.

One thing that makes driving in winds difficult is a death grip on the steering wheel. A light grip allows for easy compensation for wind gusts and won't cause so much fatigue. Something I learned from motorcycling but applies to cars/trucks as well.

The anti-sway bar and maybe shocks will help but you have to keep in mind that it's just a whole lot of surface area to get blown around. Hopefully you'll get used to it.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
Very surprising to hear this. Compared to other large vehicles, I find the Solera to be great to drive. I live near a pass that is infamous for gusty winds and I find the Solera as easy to drive there as I did my Dodge minivan.

One thing that makes driving in winds difficult is a death grip on the steering wheel. A light grip allows for easy compensation for wind gusts and won't cause so much fatigue. Something I learned from motorcycling but applies to cars/trucks as well.

The anti-sway bar and maybe shocks will help but you have to keep in mind that it's just a whole lot of surface area to get blown around. Hopefully you'll get used to it.
X2 on the grip. The Hellwig bar does make a difference, but a relaxed grip is possibly the best recommend.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #9

Thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions. I have taken them all to heart. I will make the modifications you have suggested and will try to relax a bit as I gain some additional experience. This is the first time I have used this forum and am so impressed with all of you. I'm sure I'll have more questions and look forward to your help. Thank you!
Ol lady and the C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
'79 Bonneville

I agree with Helwig and especially grip. Trust your power steering and relax your arms. It takes essentially no force to turn the steering wheel even under the worst conditions.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #11

Make sure your tire inflation is on spec. If not, you'll be all over the road
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #12

We replaced the sway bar to a heavier one which helped, but we saw a huge difference when we also replaced the shocks to Bilstien shocks and struts.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #13

Add Sumo springs and the job will be complete
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #14

We installed the heavier sway bar which made a big difference. Still, wind and large trucks passing can push us around a bit. We are thinking about the shocks/struts, too.
Do the shocks make the ride rougher - more like a truck instead of a car?
Just wondering....

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #15

"We are thinking about the shocks/struts, too.
Do the shocks make the ride rougher - more like a truck instead of a car?"

Isn't the RV more like a truck to begin with? ;-)

It took me almost two years to get brave enough to drive our Solera, and it was only after Husband put on the heavier sway bar. I did OK, but wouldn't drive it if very windy.

After he put on the shocks and struts, it drove sooo much better and easier, even in the wind. You will not be disappointed. Of course you get a bit of a jolt still when a semi passes, but nothing like before. You can feel a semi even in a car.

There was also a HUGE difference in walking back to the fridge, bathroom, or whatever while going down the road. I didn't wobble all over like before. Of course, big bumps in the road don't count. ;-)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
Add Sumo springs and the job will be complete
X2 Sumo's = Best mod ever

If you only do 2 mod's to your MBS, make sure it is the SumoSprings and the rear Sway Bar.

I did the sway bar and shocks first and still got pushed around a bit by the big rigs.

Now with Sumo's all around, it is a completely different vehicle. It is also much quieter inside while driving, due to being so stable and level.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 PM   #17

"Now with Sumo's all around, it is a completely different vehicle. It is also much quieter inside while driving, due to being so stable and level."

Excuse my ignorance on this stuff. Sumo's work well on the MBS, too? About how much do they cost? (I know different areas probably charge different prices.) Do they make any difference on MPG and tire wear?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Gal View Post
"Now with Sumo's all around, it is a completely different vehicle. It is also much quieter inside while driving, due to being so stable and level."

Excuse my ignorance on this stuff. Sumo's work well on the MBS, too? About how much do they cost? (I know different areas probably charge different prices.) Do they make any difference on MPG and tire wear?
No problem. I read a lot about them on the Sprinter sites, at first and on the Solera forum as well. They make them for a lot of different trucks and MH's. Cost is about $175 to $180 a pair (front/rear) for the Sprinter. SuspensionConnection.com has a special with $30 off when you spend $300 and free shipping. I installed mine myself but it does require raising the rig.

SumoSprings: "SumoSprings are proprietary suspension products designed to enhance load carrying ability, stabilize sway and improve overall driver control and comfort."

In regards to MPG, don't think so. Tire wear - maybe, since they keep your rig inline and stable. Forum members that have had them longer than I can chime in to better answer.

https://youtu.be/wl8vlAGJeQw

SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers > SumoSprings-Solo

Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #19

Sumo Part Numbers for the MBS:
Rear are SSR-338-47
Front are SSF-106-40

Suspension Connection COUPON CODES:

SAVE10 = $10 OFF an order totaling $100 or more, excluding shipping charges
SAVE20 = $20 OFF an order totaling $200 or more, excluding shipping charges
SAVE30 = $30 OFF an order totaling $300 or more, excluding shipping charges
SAVE50 = $50 OFF an order totaling $500 or more, excluding shipping charges

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/sumosprings.html

Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #20

Why You'd Like Bilstein Shocks

The stock shock absorbers are very weak. This means that you can actually compress one by merely pushing both ends together with your hands and arms. The Bilsteins will require you to place one end of the shock on the ground and then apply your full body weight on the other end to compress it. Even with full body weight pressing down, the shock will compress very gradually, rather than, all at once.

Now picture 7,000 pounds of Solera rear end swaying left and right after a corner or uneven driveway. Which shock will more quickly control and minimize that motion? I think you get the picture.

I've taken to carrying one of the stock shocks (they were only on the Solera 3 months) as cargo. Whenever we encounter an RV'er and the conversation goes in the direction of handling and control, I happily pull out the stock item and demonstrate how weak it is.

No, it won't make the ride harsher than it is now. This upgrade will make driving feel more controllable and the driver more confident.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera