Originally Posted by GeoffG
The home is ordered in August, with a date for delivery to the dealer in October. I chose the 2014 model chassis because I had learned of the new safety changes on the new MB 2014 chassis. In late October,You call the dealer, he has no idea for the delay or so he says. He will look into it. You join the forum and in your reading the site you discover that the manufacture discontinued your model at about the time you ordered it. The factory rep in a post ( Sept 3) states that they got two 2013 chassis to meet orders in the pipe line, but that's all. The factory rep in Sept., on the forum first says that they will build a new design on the new MB chassis but continue the old 24 Murphy bed to see which sells better, (yet he has already stated that there are no more 2013 MB chassis available). The dealer says the RV is held up waiting for "missing parts". A few days later in Sept, on the forum, the factory rep who says he takes part in the design process and says that the 24 Murphy bed will is discontinued. I run the VIN for my coach and learn that it is on a 2013 MB chassis. Now I know that you can have a 2014 home on a older chassis. But the factory rep had said none were available any more.
Who is at fault for the misinformation to the waiting buyer, the dealer or the factory rep. The bottom line is that the buyer has lost confidence in both the dealer and the manufacture and decides to not buy the motorhome. We really wanted that RV and had grand plans to use it and show it off as we traveled. Forest River, If you can change your design completely to meet the use of the 2014 MB chassis, why we're you unable to solve the Murphy bed problems or at least tell waiting buyers that the 2014 MB chassis would not work. Why the different explanations by the factory rep in his post on the forum, if he so involved in design changes. Based on his information on what had to be done, it could not be done in a week or two. Yet they managed to build the new model on a 2014 chassis in time for a September RV show. Did the really drop the 24 Murphy because of the problems with the bed, or because it was a slow seller' only Forest River knows and they aren't talking.
PS the factory rep says they can build 12 to16 units a day, why a three plus month delay?
Happy trails to all
Oh my goodness where to begin. I will say, it is things like this why reps do not participate on forums. (I think that's a shame too).
One of the reasons I left my former RV employer, was that they treated reps like children. They did not give us ANY information because they were afraid we would stop selling RV's to dealers waiting for the "new changes". But what that meant is that we were not involved in picking those changes. Changes were made without our input and so we built a product that did not fully fill the customers needs, but the engineers desires.
At Forester River I have access to way more info. I still have to be careful with what I release...but if I see a customer say "I'm not going to buy because of this..." and I know we are coming out with that, I will tell them there is hope. I often give too much information and that has sometimes gotten me in trouble. But that is a line I am willing to walk, because it is what I would want if I were on the other side. I also give out things we are "thinking about" so that I can get feedback before we finalize that decision.
Now on to the OP.
1. I would be curious as to the major safety updates from the 2013 to the 2014. Also remember we use a cutaway chassis and it is not always the exact same as the van version (different speedo set up, different options). Most of the changes I have seen were cosmetic.
2. On 9/3/13 on the Murphy bed post I stated "we stopped building it" "IF we can figure out how to make the murphy bed work we would build it"
3. I don't see where I said we would continue to build the old 24M and see which one sells better? If someone can direct me I'm guessing that is out of context.
4. I said none were available anymore....but I had also said that (2) units were bought to complete retail orders. Why would you not assume that one of those was YOUR retail order?
5. I gave ZERO mis-information. I gave the information I had at the time as it became available. If your dealer mislead you, that is on your dealer. I see no erroneous statements in my posts.
6. As I stated before. The 24M was 3rd in sales by a long shot. So we did not want to spend a ton of time redesigning that floor plan to account for 5% of our Solera sales. I also mention that in a post.
7. As for telling waiting buyers that the 2014 would not work. I think I said that several times on this forum. We also told our dealers. It was up to them to pass that info on to you.
8. I don't recall different explanations by me.
As for 3 month lead time, let's do the math.
We are currently building 14 units a day right now. If you order a unit today...I can't put it online tomorrow. We need to order parts and there are other units in the system. Currently (at 14 units a day) our schedule of units already goes to the offline date of December 23rd. If you order a unit today it would go in that next weeks schedule. If it comes in at the end, it would be offline on the 30th (let's pretend there are no holiday's). That is 8 weeks to offline. If you want full body paint, it then goes to the paint shop. Add another 2-3 weeks. (11 weeks total). The it comes back from paint, gets sealed, QC inspected, rain tested and missing parts installed, etc. etc. Could be another week. (12 weeks total). Then if all goes well it heads to the delivery yard where it may sit for a day or two, then heads out (in my case 5 day trip). Now we're at 13 weeks and that is if everything has gone smoothly and the order was placed by the dealer the exact same day you say "yes" to the dealer.
As for "Forest River knows and they aren't talking" it's the first time I've ever been accused of that. Normally I'm accused of talking too much.
At the end of ALL OF THIS, when you say you checked the VIN on your coach, It sounds like your unit was one of the ones we stole a chassis for. So you wanted a 24M, the dealer got you a 24M (happened to be on a 2013 chassis), ordered the coach, delivered the coach and you refused the coach. I was not involved in the sales process so I have no idea if you stated 2014 Solera or 2014 Solera on a 2014 chassis. That is between you and the dealer. But I know that I clearly stated that the 2014 Sprinter would not work with the 24M and clearly stated that we bought (2) 2013's to fill retail orders. Refusing the unit is solely on your and your dealer. I see no reason that I am getting singled out when I have been nothing but forthcoming.