Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
2018 FR3 30DS

Spongy brakes

Took my 2011 Solera to Freightliner in Atlanta, GA today to have the brakes checked. They have been "soft" for a while and sometimes go almost to the floor but will pump up. Additionally, when talking to the service department yesterday (Wednesday) I was told there is a recall but they didn't know exactly what for but possibly for the blu tec system. Had to leave it overnight as they have only 2 Sprinter techs on duty. Will advise here what the recall was for.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #2

Interested in hearing how the brakes turn out. Mine is an '09 and I've always felt the brakes were spongy. In the spring I plan to have them bled and/or even the fluid exchanged for new.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
2018 FR3 30DS

Spongy Brakes

Called the Freightliner SVC dept this morning to get status. Lady at svc counter very nice person...she said that the recall had to do with THE SPRING PLATE WHICH ATTACHES THE OIL FILLER NECK TO THE CYLINDER-HEAD COVER MAY CRACK. This has been repaired.

Now for the brakes...she said that they are still testing the brakes and it appears that the master cylinder is being bypassed somehow...and that Sprinter has very strict guidelines for testing/repair of vehicles under warrenty and if they don't follow the guidelines they don't get paid...Can't blame them for that.
Will keep posted...

2011 Solera
Old 09-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #4

Hmmm...I need to check out this "spring plate"....

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
2018 FR3 30DS

Spongy brakes

Got my Solera 2011 from Freightliner shop today. Turned out that all that was wrong with the brakes was that they needed bleeding. The tech's comments on my copy of the bill stated that after running all required diagnostics he determined there was air in the brake lines. After bleeding the lines, he test drove it and said they are now operating properly. I don't know what properly is. I think the brakes are still a little soft but this may be the normal condition.

Vehicle under warranty and no charge.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_movin View Post
Got my Solera 2011 from Freightliner shop today. Turned out that all that was wrong with the brakes was that they needed bleeding. The tech's comments on my copy of the bill stated that after running all required diagnostics he determined there was air in the brake lines. After bleeding the lines, he test drove it and said they are now operating properly. I don't know what properly is. I think the brakes are still a little soft but this may be the normal condition.

Vehicle under warranty and no charge.
If there was air in the lines, they should feel noticeably firmer.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

Had the same thought about our Solera, next free day i' think i'll take mine in also. thanks for the info
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes