Old 08-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #11

It's amazing how well the jeep follows

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Charliej - Don't know much about Fleetwood, but when we were looking for a MH, we came across a good post you may be interested in:
Forester Comparison Grid
While the details are for the Ford-based Forester/Sunseeker, it probably also holds for the Solera. Actually, if I remember correctly, the Solera has some better equipment like Slam-Latch luggage doors. Possibly others know (we forgot), but suspect the Solera may be a premium brand for F-R (i.e. Cadillac versus Chevy, or Lincoln versus Ford).

Concerning your question about Sprinter vs Ford V-10 power, Motorhome magazine (MotorHome Magazine -- Motorhome Reviews - RV Camping) has actual measured performance numbers in their "Reviews" section. I won't post them here, but in less then 5 minutes you'll find your answer, and an answer that was instrumented (it's the engineer in me).

Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
GM

I finally did a comparison grid for Solera as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comparison Grid DS.pdf (112.4 KB, 141 views)
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I finally did a comparison grid for Solera as well.
Great chart, BC

Question! Now that you have changed over to LEDs, what are you using for the dimmer lights in the front of the coach area? I've tried using LEDs in mine, but they are pretty much either off or on. Did you use different fixture? What bulb?

I'd love to be able to use my dimmer with LEDs.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
GM

Looks the same, but its just a recessed glass fixture with an LED array. I think we did have to change dimmer switches.

1. The LEDs have to be dimmable.
2. I think you need a specific dimmer. Went from a slider type to a knob type.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #16

If you compare the Ford Triton v-10 vs the Solera pay attention to the leg room. I had the V10 - as a driver your right foot, as a passenger your left foot has no room, in addition that bulge forming the engine compartment gets warm even hot. Overtime very uncomfortable......No comparison with the leg room with the MB Diesel engine, its so easy to get up out of the drivers seat in the Solera!
Hans
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

I suspect the leg room issue has nothing to do with the gas Ford V-10 engine versus the diesel M-B V-6 engine. It probably has more to do with a 20-year old chassis being compared against a modern chassis. A more interesting comparison would be the M-B Sprinter versus Ford Transit leg room (both contemporary designs), regardless of engine option. We picked up our Sunseeker in July and drove it 4 hours across NY state. It was a sunny 90-plus degree day, we’re both about 5’6/7”, and didn’t notice any leg room or heat issues. While the Solera 24R was our first choice, in the end we required more NCC (3,400lbs vs 1,178lbs) and towing capacity (7,500lbs vs 4220lbs) so we’d be legal.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #18

I drove our solera 12 hours up the coast of California pulling a 4000 pound jeep thru downtown San Francisco over the golden gate and when we arrived at camp wasn't even tired
Mercedes chassis is fantastic and so maneuverable
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
Northern Most Member ?

In june I drove our new 24R from Michigan to Alaska, 6500 miles, via LA in 15 days. I am 6"4 and 250 lbs.
There were several 700 mile days and nights and I must say it was one of the most enjoyable drives I have done. The seats, the visibility and effortless power of the tubo diesel made for a fantastic trip!

113 in Vegas at night and I didn't know it until I opened the door when i stopped for fuel.....great air con!

I averaged 15-17 mph, the coach was very light for a fast trip but I was pushing it and cruised at 60-75 most the way......I love this rig!!

Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, power