Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Sprinter power versus class C triton V-10

I test drove a Fleetwood Jamboree 29GT today with the Ford Triton v-10. Going up a good grade near Temecula, CA it maxed out at about 55 on the freeway. The dealer that sells Solera's isn't near any grades so I have nothing to compare my Solera test drive to. I was wondering if any of you Solera owners have compared the power of a gas class c with a V-10 to your Sprinter diesel?

Also the class c seems to sway considerably less than the Sprinter chassis with no sway bar. Will the sway bar on the Sprinter make the ride more similar?

Still looking,

Charlie J.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

We drove the 26 foot ford powered forest river model same day we drove solera
I liked the way the solera drove much better
It handled better too and seemed quieter with less squeaks and rattles
I like the size and since I was the driver we went with the solera. Get a painted one. After a year it still looks brand new
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

By the way we averaged 60 over the grape vine without the jeep and 45 over the grade on the Oregon boarder pulling the jeep
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #4

I will try to call you this evening as private message didn't seem to work
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

We received our Sunseeker 2650S about 5 weeks ago. We were very close to buying the Solera 24S because as me too as driver, it’s a little smaller. Never drove a Solera, but have read enough to believe it does handle better and ride smoother than the Ford. We went with the Ford for three reasons:

1. Cost: $16,000 more (RVdirect) pricing: Based on 5,000/miles per year, the fuel savings required 15-20 years payback (depends on fuel cost and your investing skills). We didn’t have enough information for the gas versus diesel O&M calculations.

Net Cargo Capacity: Solera 24S was 1,178lbs while the Sunseeker 2650S was 3,400lbs. I’ve read many people on this forum drive over the weight limit. It may be safe, but I worry about lawyers. Check this link out:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...red-32845.html

Towing: The car we tow (Mitsubishi Evo X) cannot be flat towed. So we bought an Aluma light-weight trailer – 1,350lbs. Tongue weight must be about 600lbs, so that leaves 578lbs for people, dogs, water, camping supplies, etc. - read above link fully for lawyer issue.

A forth reason for spouse (not me) was the folding bed in the Solera 24S. It cannot be fully utilized without slide extended and the mattress is "ok" as it must fold when traveling. When the slide is out, a foam pillow top solves all issues ( but it's not automatic, you must put it on). I have read several good posts on the two other floor plans when it comes to a good mattress solution.

In summary, first start out with your requirements based on NCC and Towing - you can't increase either without warranty and/or legal issues. Based on that, that will determine your options. Good luck.

p.s. I still wish we could have gotten the Solera 24S, but we can't leave home without bringing everything, and the Evo is not for sale!
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

You basically just stated the reasons I bought my Lexington. Not one bit sorry!!
And have queen slide but manual awning.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #7

I specifically bought the solera for the joy of driving it. Turns a tight circle , fits in any camping site, able to put on any site by my self
Holds all my camping stuff and even tows my go anywhere jeep rubicon
We have s model with corner bed
Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I specifically bought the solera for the joy of driving it. Turns a tight circle , fits in any camping site, able to put on any site by my self
I was in Bend, OR test driving a 24S with a dealer of mine. He pulled a youie (never thought about how to spell the slang term for U-turn). Left lane, spun it right around. I told him I wish I had video'd it. He said "Why?". How many people can make a U-turn in an RV?...not a 3 point turn. From left lane and then a little onto the shoulder. Even I was impressed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
We drive ours to the grocery market and park in a regular parking area. Can pull all around the parking lot without worrying about turning radiuses. And, of course, everyone has a comment about it while we're there!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #10

We live in a Cul-de-sac and can come in towing a 20' boat and circle around with no backing up, love the nimbleness of the Solera! Pulls the boat or jeep great.

We seem to carry everything we can think of when we go camping and we still have room in the storage compartments and even empty drawers inside! Either I'm very organized or the Solera has a lot of storage!!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #11

It's amazing how well the jeep follows
Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Charliej - Don't know much about Fleetwood, but when we were looking for a MH, we came across a good post you may be interested in:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rid-24239.html
While the details are for the Ford-based Forester/Sunseeker, it probably also holds for the Solera. Actually, if I remember correctly, the Solera has some better equipment like Slam-Latch luggage doors. Possibly others know (we forgot), but suspect the Solera may be a premium brand for F-R (i.e. Cadillac versus Chevy, or Lincoln versus Ford).

Concerning your question about Sprinter vs Ford V-10 power, Motorhome magazine (MotorHome Magazine -- Motorhome Reviews - RV Camping) has actual measured performance numbers in their "Reviews" section. I won't post them here, but in less then 5 minutes you'll find your answer, and an answer that was instrumented (it's the engineer in me).
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I finally did a comparison grid for Solera as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comparison Grid DS.pdf (112.4 KB, 152 views)

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I finally did a comparison grid for Solera as well.
Great chart, BC

Question! Now that you have changed over to LEDs, what are you using for the dimmer lights in the front of the coach area? I've tried using LEDs in mine, but they are pretty much either off or on. Did you use different fixture? What bulb?

I'd love to be able to use my dimmer with LEDs.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Looks the same, but its just a recessed glass fixture with an LED array. I think we did have to change dimmer switches.

1. The LEDs have to be dimmable.
2. I think you need a specific dimmer. Went from a slider type to a knob type.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

If you compare the Ford Triton v-10 vs the Solera pay attention to the leg room. I had the V10 - as a driver your right foot, as a passenger your left foot has no room, in addition that bulge forming the engine compartment gets warm even hot. Overtime very uncomfortable......No comparison with the leg room with the MB Diesel engine, its so easy to get up out of the drivers seat in the Solera!
Hans
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

I suspect the leg room issue has nothing to do with the gas Ford V-10 engine versus the diesel M-B V-6 engine. It probably has more to do with a 20-year old chassis being compared against a modern chassis. A more interesting comparison would be the M-B Sprinter versus Ford Transit leg room (both contemporary designs), regardless of engine option. We picked up our Sunseeker in July and drove it 4 hours across NY state. It was a sunny 90-plus degree day, we’re both about 5’6/7”, and didn’t notice any leg room or heat issues. While the Solera 24R was our first choice, in the end we required more NCC (3,400lbs vs 1,178lbs) and towing capacity (7,500lbs vs 4220lbs) so we’d be legal.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #18

I drove our solera 12 hours up the coast of California pulling a 4000 pound jeep thru downtown San Francisco over the golden gate and when we arrived at camp wasn't even tired
Mercedes chassis is fantastic and so maneuverable
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Northern Most Member ?

In june I drove our new 24R from Michigan to Alaska, 6500 miles, via LA in 15 days. I am 6"4 and 250 lbs.
There were several 700 mile days and nights and I must say it was one of the most enjoyable drives I have done. The seats, the visibility and effortless power of the tubo diesel made for a fantastic trip!

113 in Vegas at night and I didn't know it until I opened the door when i stopped for fuel.....great air con!

I averaged 15-17 mph, the coach was very light for a fast trip but I was pushing it and cruised at 60-75 most the way......I love this rig!!
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, power