Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Battery condition

So what good is the lights that come with the solera. I thought they were indicating the voltage of the system
And a digital dc voltmeter was a more accurate indicater of the charge state

Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
So what good is the lights that come with the solera. I thought they were indicating the voltage of the system
And a digital dc voltmeter was a more accurate indicater of the charge state
First thing to understand is that coaches are set up to be plugged in at parks when they leave the factory. Most don't even come with true deep cycle batteries. The lights show you that the coach is plugged in and the converter is working. The digital readout shows the active voltage at the moment in the SYSTEM. When you unplug...it shows the ACTIVE voltage on the battery powered system at the moment...with the current loads and with any surface charge remaining on the battery plates after charging.

The lights and the meter can tell you:
Things are working.
Things are not working.
And things are dead.
Which is all you need if you plug in 99% of the time.
It cannot tell you the state of charge of the battery which requires a 24 hour wait in a static (i.e. not connected) state after charging to insure the SURFACE CHARGE is dissipated at you get a true reading.
You can eliminate the WAIT period with a load tester which can remove the surface charge. They look like this:

If you boondock you will need at LEAST a couple of hundred amp hours of true deep cycle batteries in your bank and I strongly recommend a true battery monitor that will tell you in real time the state of charge of your battery, how many amps you are pulling from them NOW, and all together so far, WHEN it is time to recharge (at 50% down ,,, not when the lights go dim) and other interesting stuff like exactly how many amps that fridge lighter uses and how much stuff still uses when you turn the battery switch to off...(parasitic loads). In addition to making your camping less worrisome... it will pay for itself by not having you replace batteries that have been murdered so often. About $150 bucks.
Disregard the above paragraph if you don't boondock.

Hope that answers your question.

Oh yeah... the maximum voltage reading for a 12V battery is 12.7 Volts if NEW and 100% charged. Anything higher and you are reading the charger/converter voltage OR the surface charge left on the battery after charging.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Thanks for info
I'll buy one of those meters
My solar panels are directly connected to my battery bank via a MPPT controller, so they are kept at full charge. I boondocked on my driveway for 3 weeks, running refer, fans , other 12 volt things to test whether 200 watts of solar enough
The RV dealer tested my batteries with a fancy device that put a load on them (batteries almost 3 years old)
And each battery tested at over 1000 watts, so he claimed I didn't need to replace. I think I'll check into one of those tri star monitors. Since my panels are always charging system a meter will always indicate surface charge I guess during day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #14

Stock Coach Batteries, amp hours and the refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
First thing to understand is that coaches are set up to be plugged in at parks when they leave the factory. Most don't even come with true deep cycle batteries. The lights show you that the coach is plugged in and the converter is working. The digital readout shows the active voltage at the moment in the SYSTEM. When you unplug...it shows the ACTIVE voltage on the battery powered system at the moment...with the current loads and with any surface charge remaining on the battery plates after charging.

The lights and the meter can tell you:
Things are working.
Things are not working.
And things are dead.
Which is all you need if you plug in 99% of the time.
It cannot tell you the state of charge of the battery which requires a 24 hour wait in a static (i.e. not connected) state after charging to insure the SURFACE CHARGE is dissipated at you get a true reading.
You can eliminate the WAIT period with a load tester which can remove the surface charge. They look like this:

If you boondock you will need at LEAST a couple of hundred amp hours of true deep cycle batteries in your bank and I strongly recommend a true battery monitor that will tell you in real time the state of charge of your battery, how many amps you are pulling from them NOW, and all together so far, WHEN it is time to recharge (at 50% down ,,, not when the lights go dim) and other interesting stuff like exactly how many amps that fridge lighter uses and how much stuff still uses when you turn the battery switch to off...(parasitic loads). In addition to making your camping less worrisome... it will pay for itself by not having you replace batteries that have been murdered so often. About $150 bucks.
Disregard the above paragraph if you don't boondock.

Hope that answers your question.

Oh yeah... the maximum voltage reading for a 12V battery is 12.7 Volts if NEW and 100% charged. Anything higher and you are reading the charger/converter voltage OR the surface charge left on the battery after charging.

Thanks Camaraderie! Excellent explanation. I'll follow your instructions to see info need to replace.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Water distilled and sulfuric acid or both clear when pure, so the normal color of the battery acid is clear in a healthy battery. The brown color of the battery acid is caused by organic impurities in the liquid. That being said a slight brown color to the battery is rather normal with use and is not a sign of a defective battery. You did not state how old your batteries are. When you discharge the battery below 50% you start to degrade the life expediency of the battery the more you discharge below this point the shorter time the battery will last. If this was a one time deal you may have take a couple of months off the life of the battery but the battery will still work fine for now.

Batteries are approx one year old

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, battery