Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Suspension-battery-aux fuel tank upgrades

Hey all, our first weekend shakedown cruise was event free and has us very excited about our upcoming travel plans. After 200 miles of driving in windy conditions and on some smaller roads I am looking into suspension upgrades to improve handling and reduce driver fatigue. The Sprinter Store Sprinter Store has many upgrades available and after talking to Mark O, I am considering ordering the Koni shocks and Lift Assist Spring kit to install myself then scheduling installation of the sway bar when we are near the Sprinter Store.

Does anyone have an opinion on the factory battery? Can a second RV battery be installed in the step box? Would the provided relay handle the additional charging requirements?

Am seriously considering the 18 gal aux fuel tank for a little more range. I am having major withdrawal symptoms from the 42 gal tank on my F350!
ever4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

In my opinion the Air Bags are a huge help in windy conditions. I don't have an onboard compressor but I do carry a small one with us so I can level out the RV in extreme wind. I also use a Blue Ox steering stablilizer on the front, major difference over stock.
Just to clarify, mine is an E450. But I think the mods would help any motorhome.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Ever,
Can't help you with your issues but would like to Welcome you to the forums. There are a lot of good people here and I'm sure some one will be able to help you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Since we're new to the RV thing with our Solera I haven't found an issue with the suspension while driving (yep, windy conditions) - but that might be due to trying to maintain lower speeds for better fuel consumption. Where it would be better is when being parked to keep the sway at bay while walking around....

Our Solera came with 2 coach batteries already. They would last about 3 days when using them conservatively in our case. Adding more batteries you as well would need to start looking into upgrading the charging system as your generator would probably take a day to recharge that huge battery bank. We are starting to think of adding solar as an alternative....

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery