Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #21
Commercial Member

I always try and steer people to a local dealer that is willing to get close to that price (plus freight of course). Makes things so much smoother all the way around.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I always try and steer people to a local dealer that is willing to get close to that price (plus freight of course). Makes things so much smoother all the way around.
I went to a local dealer first part of December. Told them about what I had to spend. I also explicitly told them I planned to buy by the end of the year. Looked at a particular model and the guy tried to steer me toward a Jayco Redhawk. I told him I was interested in the Forest River model. He said he would see what he could do, then NEVER even called me back.. So, the middle of December I contacted RV direct and bought the same model with essentially the same options for 500 less than what I told the local dealer I was willing to spend. I understand the local philosophy, and I would have been willing to spend a bit more locally. However, that does actually require the dealer to make contact with me... ??? The game I am not willing to play is to get a quote from one dealer and show it to the other... That is just not me...
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #23

Bought our Sunseeker from RVDirect 2 years ago and picked up in DesMoines. No local dealer. Had pricing from a dealer 200 miles away (big dealer in Eastern Indiana). RVDirect was $34,000 less than MSRP (which we all know doesn't mean anything) BUT also $8000 less than the dealer's best sale price--and we got a year newer unit. The whole process with RVDirect was smooth and simple.

We are 350 miles from DesMoines, so going back there for service has not really been an option--but there was no local dealer option either. One warranty repair of air conditioner was a problem--several Dometic warranty locations (dealers) refused because we hadn't purchased from them. Finally found one that would (reluctantly) fix it under warranty. What the other dealers didn't realize is that I will have this unit for a long time and will likely need some repairs after warranty. The ones that wouldn't help are off my list.

Local dealers need to rethink their business model. Look at other industries. Internet sales are the future. No reason why many local dealers couldn't find a way to expand to include that model. Radio Shack and Best Buy haven't and they are about to go out of business. Amazon is the number one retailer.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #24

My wife and I downsized from a 40 foot Gulf Stream to a Solera 24r and we are very happy. The Mercedes Benz chassis is to die for. The thing is actually quieter and smoother riding than our diesel pusher was. Of course it is a lot smaller, but we can pull it into any fuel station, and we can park it in the Walmart lot without using up 4 or more parking slots. It also nice to be able to make a u-turn on a regular size street. The only problem is that the fuel tank is only 26.5 gallons, and with this motorhome, you can easily drive 600 miles or more per day, and average will be about 13 mpg. You will be happy with the choice, unless you are one of those people who can't tell the difference between a quality MB chassis and a Ford. If that is the case, then look at a Vegas or an A.C.E. which are built on a Ford E chassis, but they are a class A body on a Class C stripped chassis. Good luck
Bob C
Esperance, NY.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote