Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Thinking of downsizing from 2900 sunseeker to a solera

Bought a 2900 sunseeker 2 years ago...thinking of downsizing to a solera. Can you guys tell me if you can do a u turn with a solera on city street? Will it be easier than my 30 foot rv to navigate the city? Easier to park in mcdonalds etc? Nearest solera dealer is 80 miles away and i havent drove one nor been into one before... Amy info from people who downsized will be greatly appreciated

Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

U-turns are doable, but all depends on the city's road widths. Parking is easier, but you still have 11.5' to watch on overhangs. Downsized from 38' pace arrow-very happy!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Just bought a new one and aside from a few minor probs-couldn't be more tickled! The layout is excellent and the MB engine and tranny are to die for-getting 151/2 to 16 mpg righyt out of the box-only 2800 miles thus far. Bought mine from RV direct-had to travel to pick it up-didn't want to wait 8-12 weeks and saved a ton over local dealer pricing. Recommend the Solara highly-just make sure you can handle the downsize!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

I had my Solera in San Antonio TX, was told at the RV park that there wasn't much parking for a motorhome down town. I went on down with it and was allowed to park in a lot about 1/2 from the Alamo without any problems at all. The Solera is wide eoungh to fit right into a regular parking stall and the length was just a little more than 1/2 of the stall behind the vehicle. The parking attendant even charged me regular price. You can't do that with a larger RV.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

I was initially concerned about storage on our new 24s-the huge bin on the right rear more than makes up for it. Our '12 is on an '11 chassis so we didn't get the extra storage bin that some did by moving the def tank under the hood, but we really haven't needed it either. We've totalled 3,000 miles in a month and we've got another 1,000 coming up soon. Great rv and I'm sure if we didn't set the cruise between 65 and 70 we would be seeing 15-17 mpg. It's just too easy and comfortable at that speed tough...much better than the pace arrow.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

Thanks to all who replied, I was hoping I'd get negatives instead of positives, now what I'll do is drive the 80 miles to the dealer and see if all 4 of us will be happy with the downsize, I like the advantages, but my wife tells me it ends when we're parked and begins again once we're on the road.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
GM

Just a side note the 2900 has no slide (as you already know). You'll be surprised how much that opens things up when parked on the Solera. I would recommend getting a swivel seat adaptor (you can search for the source on here) because with 4 you'll want some spots to sit.

I'm working on getting those swivel seats installed at the factory as a standard feature...but some of my counterparts don't want to raise the price to get them. They keep going back to that they are available via aftermarket...I just don't think most people want to hassle with it.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Never thought of the slideout making up for the lenght...how about an option to have the swivel seats instead of being standard so as not to raise the price? But good suggestion on the swivel seats....
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
GM

Trying to juggle two different styles of chassis never works. You always have the wrong one on hand.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

look at a sunseeker chevy 2300.