Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Thinking of purchasing a 2012 Solera 24s?...fair deal???

Looking at purchasing a used 2012 24s with 24,000 miles. It includes the propane generator and full paint. Dealer is asking around $69,000. Before I commit to buying, could any of you let me know if this is a reasonable price for the market? The camper is in flawless condition. I just want to know what you guys think a reasonably good price would be. You guys know way more than me and I really appreciate the help. Also, please share any info about the 24s that you think I should know before purchasing.
Thanks,
MT
Fr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

Good morning,

We bought a new 2013 24SE with a propane generator and 2400 miles on it (bought in Portland, OR) a little over a year ago for $75K plus taxes paid when I got home to WA. If the 24R was available when we bought I would have given it serious consideration. The corner bed is a bit tight with my wife, me and the two small dogs we have in it at the same time. The downside to the 24R is what appears to be a smaller living room slider. The Solera is a great motorhome for a couple...we love it. Good luck
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It will be used mostly by two adults and one child. On occasion, four adults will be using it at the same time. I figured it would be a fair deal if we can get it for around $64,000 or less. Thoughts?
Thanks,
MT
Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

We bought a Solera 24S SLE on a 2013 MB Chasis and the coach is listed at 2014 right around the first of the year for $69,000. We had to fly to Ohio and drive it back, though, so I guess the cost was $69,000 as well as the cost of 2 plane tickets and driving back. But well worth it, I think.

The point is, look around before you jump into this. We looked for several weeks when this one popped up and, since we had been looking, investigating, etc., we knew when that it was a good price.

Bottom line: Look around and compare.
mitchell1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

If you are talking about the Solera at Dixie. It was ours and that price with all the improvements we put in it - is wonderful. It is a great unit. Lynn
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #6

Btw you can get on my posts for the last 2 years and see how much we enjoyed it. Also, look at the mods thread. That unit has the upgraded Helwig sway bar , Kenwood gps/stereo, actually hooked up so you can watch DVDs in the back underway - switch under the steering wheel. Oxygenics shower head, stovetop cover, front windshield cover plus more! Go for it!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

Oh yes, we had it waxed in November and the roof revealed too! Generator serviced too! And the 20,000 mile service done - which is retry expensive.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Hello Lynn,
Yes it is the one at Dixie. We agreed to purchase it. They are getting it ready and we are going back to pick it up later this week. The slide was slow to go out and stopped on us a couple times. The salesman told us it was the battery, but everything will be in working order when we pick it up. Did y'all ever have problems with the slide or any other things we should know about? We just want to make sure that everything is in working condition when we pick it up. Thanks for all of the information. We are looking forward to enjoying it. It is a beautiful camper and it is obvious that you guys took really great care of it.
Thanks again!
MT
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
2012 Solera

I suspect the unit you are looking at (Lynn's previous unit) is fine, but check out this thread which details my 2012 Solera "S" slideout issues when it was new: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ues-25315.html
My dealer also claimed the problem was low battery - not so! As noted in the referenced thread, check the slideout motor for movement when the slide is being activated - to make certain the motor mounts are not flexing.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #10

We didn't really have a problem with the slide. But, after reading above, maybe! I would always start the slide then when it stopped, I'd wait a minute and push the button again. Sometimes it would take two stops to get it in/out. Thought that was normal - always did it that way. Oh, another mod is the max air ventilating system with remote and we had a fantastic fan put in the bathroom!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

Is this a normal characteristic for a slide to stop and then have to restart it, as you mentioned it sometimes took 2 starts/stops for the slide to work? The rv was plugged into 110v power, and the salesman told us that this kept the fridge running and the battery charged. Then later he says the battery for the slide was weak. Didn't make sense to me, but I am new to this, so there might be something I am not understanding. I am just very nervous about spending this amount of money with the slide not working perfectly.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #12

The battery has nothing to do with it if it is plugged in. Again, from the link above, sounds like stopping and starting isn't normal. So, have them look at the motor, I'm guessing. However, it never failed on me - I never had a feeling it was going to either.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #13

Ok, thanks. I will have them look at the motor and the mounts before we leave the dealership. How often did it start/stop when you extended/retracted it? Other than the question about the slide, we are very excited about it!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #14

Probably once or twice when going in and out. Again, once it would start to stop, I would let go of the button, wait about 30 seconds and push the button again. That would usually do the trick and it would continue all the way in or out.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #15

Btw the slide has always been that way. It is not anything new. If it really concerns you, go to Berryland and put in/out one of the new Solera's slides. See if there really is that much difference. Btw - I would NOT recommend Berryland. But would recommend Dixie. You can PM me if you want to take this out of the pubic forum. Lynn
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #16

Our slide has never stopped (knock on wood) but it does slow down when it is about to drop down going out, and raise up coming back in. These two events I feel place the most strain on the mechanism but we don't let up on the button...just let it continue to operate. So far no problems.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
2012 Solera

Since repair, ours works like devilsquid described. Probably 150+ slide in/out cycles, including many after 1 to 3 nights of boondocking - no objectionable slide retraction difference with batteries somewhat discharged (probably worst case about 50% charge state). As noted in my posts (thread referenced above), the motor actually broke loose on my unit.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #18

Jleising, I can only hope that we don't have major problems with the slide like you did. I will not follow through with the purchase unless this slide works 100%.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #19

On my 24R both slides fully open and close without stopping. Stopping midway through is not normal.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #20

On my 2013 s the slide doesn't stop
Under battery power it's slow , kinda creaks but always works
My only complaint is the outside seals stick to the slide so I have to feed them back on the coach body
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, solera