Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #21

Amazon
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
I’ve never seen a wand like this. Where would I find one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...inser/29764286
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #23

Thank you, Fluffywhitedogs. I was lost trying to find it on Amazon when I didn’t even know what it was called. You pointed me in the right direction.
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
This is similair to what I do. I just took a wadded up paper towel and shoved it into the bottom of the socket. Seems to help.
Right ON !!!
My 1' & 1/16 socket is about half full of paper towel !!!
I use an extension and start it my hand !!!
Been doing that for years !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Thank you, Fluffywhitedogs. I was lost trying to find it on Amazon when I didn’t even know what it was called. You pointed me in the right direction.
Camping World has them. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-rinser/49070 . On sale right now $6.24.
jtmitch416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #26

Just remove the anode rod and replace with a drain valve with an anode rod. Leaving the valve open in storage drains the tank and allows it to dry out. When adding water, use the city water connection and open one hot water faucet . Drain valve with a t-handle opening tool is available from Camping World or other online supplier or RV dealer. This has worked well for me on my 1993 and 2016 rv’s.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
Just remove the anode rod and replace with a drain valve with an anode rod. Leaving the valve open in storage drains the tank and allows it to dry out. When adding water, use the city water connection and open one hot water faucet . Drain valve with a t-handle opening tool is available from Camping World or other online supplier or RV dealer. This has worked well for me on my 1993 and 2016 rv’s.
I'll continue to remove, inspect and reinstall mine as part of winterizing for two reasons:
  1. To ensure there's enough sacrificial material for another camping season
  2. To flush the tank (it's amazing how much debris is in there after one season)

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
clr

I use a set of plumbers shower valve sockets. These are longer than normal sockets and have one size socket on each end and you tighten them with a short rod thru the other end of the socket. Since the double socket makes the socket about 5 inches long or so you do not have to get your fingers all the way in there to hold the anode.
As others have suggested a little down ward pressure on the socket to counter the tipping of the anode turn backwards until it clicks and then turn forward.
This works great for me.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #29

I use a a large bottle bush it works well.
polishapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #30

I use a deep socket and put a smaller socket into it first and then the anode. The small socket lets me have a square fit on the anode head, no droop. This way when I push on the whole thing it will let me control being square on the anode and control it totally. Better than paper towel. Makes it very easy to get thread going. I use Teflon tape, no issues. Try it next time.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Never had a problem just using one hand starting the anode rod into the tank. I do carry a spool of Teflon tape, 6" extension, 1-1/16" socket an new anode in the compartment all the time. Check the anode before we leave for FL and again after about a month down there. Usually they last about 2-2-1/2 yrs.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Have been dutifully removing my anode rod at end of each camping season on my '11 Solera 24S as part of the winterization process. Make sure the tank
is as empty as possible(actually empties out completely every time...). Inspect
the rod and then clean the threads on the rod and also on the tank threads using
my Dremel with wire brush disk attachment. I use plumbers tape(white teflon)
on the anode thread and then...always have a devil of a time threading in the
rod. I'm very paranoid of cross-threading it against the water heater threads and find that the rod tends to go in at a slight downward angle and not straight in.

Is this normal and what most of you are experiencing? I have the typical 6-gallon
heater (Suburban)) which is accessible from the outside and with a lot of careful
jiggling and finger cramping while holding it I seem to manage to get it in
after 15' of trepidation, swearing, and heart palpitations. Am I doing something
wrong here? ONCE it does engage correctly it takes about 2-3 turns fairly smoothly using my 1 1\16" socket and it snugs in fairly nice. I just snug tighten it though and never have had a leak. Any suggestions here would
be appreciated. I always try to get it "started, btw, using my fingers and not
the socket but maybe I'm being too conservative? Is the weight of the anode
"rod" itself pulling it down slightly against the thread or is the heater thread
cut at that slightly downward angle? Ok, I'm all ears!

Sounds about the same but you forgot holding your tongue in the proper position in your mouth.

I find that by holding it in my fingertips and using my knuckles to act as a support on the ledge of my heater I can get the threads going after some tries at it.

Cheers

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #33

Quote:
I’ve never seen a wand like this. Where would I find one?

X2

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 AM   #34

Camping World has them. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-rinser/49070 . On sale right now $6.24.
jtmitch416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #35

Thanks, mine is on the way.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #36

Wall-Mart has them, too. They work a lot better than a hose to get the crud out.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Wall-Mart has them, too. They work a lot better than a hose to get the crud out.
A small washing machine supply hose cut into supplies a Large volume of water to carry the White Crud out the drain hole! The cost is Free,just ask a appliance dealer!They replace every unit with New hoses,and Give the other 3 hoses to your RV friends! Youroo!!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #38

Threading in the anode rod...

WOW. Thanks for all the great tips and hints! I was actually successful about
3 pages back and it went in like butter. For me, cleaning the threads(on both!) seem to be paramount and now I start the teflon back about 2 threads back which made a pretty BIG difference. Interesting hint about turning it backwards(lightly) until you hear the "click" or feel the spot where the start threads meet (even though my irrational fear of still cross-threading would start nagging at me doing it that way but then that is what separates the pro's from the amateurs or DIY'rs?). Practice makes perfect. And...as Beluga suggested the tongue thing always helps too(out the L-corner of the mouth), no matter what.

My best to you all for collection of the great tips and I just picked up the wand too...I will open her back up this Spring and give it a righteous flush (as it DID looks pretty cruddy in there...) before our first outing. Hope everyone survives the Northern winter in style and may you never run out of the pink stuff!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #39
Georgia Rally Coordinator

[QUOTE=jimmoore13;1670517]FWIW,

I do NOT use plumber's tape, because this interferes with my tactic. It makes it harder to feel the threads seating properly, and it makes it difficult to get a full turn to finger tight. Clean threads have, thus far, made a water tight seal. And if there is any oozing of water, it's inconsequential, because it's outside. If I had a big enough leak to worry about, I'd use plumber's thread "dope" instead of tape. So far so good for 4 seasons.

Being that I have long fingers I can pretty well balance rod and able to get it to thread fairly easily. One thing extra I do is take a syringe with a long hose attached a remove the approximately 1/2 gal of water out of the heater. I then leave the plug out till I'm ready to start the camping season. Youroo has a good tip tho. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquenichet View Post
We're new to RVing but I've been a mechanic all my working life so I pulled wrenches for a good 40 years. Here's the best way I've found to start hard to get to bolts etc. Put the bolt or whatever up against the opposing threads and rotate the bolt backwards until you feel it click. That's the beginning of both sets of threads. At that point turn the bolt forward into the threads always by hand. This works especially well with hydraulic lines which are very easy to cross-thread.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode