Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Timbren suspension enhancement

Has anyone used the Timbren suspension enhancement for the Solera 24 S. I have bought [yet to install] the Helwig sway bar but a person in the suspension business suggests the Timbren system.
Here is the webpage: www.timbren.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timbren image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	71219
Roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

I will be installing the Sumo product, similar to the Timbren, in the next few days. Already installed the Helwig plus upgraded Bilstein schocks. VERY pleased with those upgrades. I'll post after installing the Sumo helper springs; will try to quantify as best I can any improvement.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Look closely, Timbrens replace the factory bump stops with a larger piece that is suppose to act as a helper spring. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. Biggest complaint I have read is harsh ride when not ridding on them. Personally I would pass unless there is some specific reason you feel the need, like overloading? If thats the case, maybe you need to go on a diet and get your RV weight under control. No add ons are going to allow you an increase in load carrying capacity.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

The issue is control, not capacity. The new stock shocks I removed from my 2014 Sprinter chassis would be barely adequate for a sedan, much less mitigating almost 7,000 lbs of rocking and swaying Solera rear end. Same is likely true of the springs.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Installed the Sumo helper springs (Part # SSR 335-47) this afternoon. Very easy installation.

I did not notice any harshness or roughness in ride quality. Didn't really notice much improvement beyond that provided by the previously installed Helwig and Bilsteins. Only felt them working when encountering big bumps.

My opinion (much like bellybuttons - everybody has one) would be that the Helwig made the most difference in ride control. The Bilsteins greatly reduce the rocking motion. The Sumos would be adding a bit of frosting to an already tasty cake.

On to other projects!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
Installed the Sumo helper springs (Part # SSR 335-47) this afternoon. Very easy installation.

I did not notice any harshness or roughness in ride quality. Didn't really notice much improvement beyond that provided by the previously installed Helwig and Bilsteins. Only felt them working when encountering big bumps.

My opinion (much like bellybuttons - everybody has one) would be that the Helwig made the most difference in ride control. The Bilsteins greatly reduce the rocking motion. The Sumos would be adding a bit of frosting to an already tasty cake.

On to other projects!
MiataHoarder-Thanks for the info!

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
The issue is control, not capacity. The new stock shocks I removed from my 2014 Sprinter chassis would be barely adequate for a sedan, much less mitigating almost 7,000 lbs of rocking and swaying Solera rear end. Same is likely true of the springs.
Now now girls! The BIG function of shocks are to keep the wheels on the gnd and not so much the rock-and-roll, don't ya' know? Anyway...my Sumo's, front AND rear arrive in 4-5 days and I have a question for you. The install .pdf sez to jack the entire front, or back, depending on which set you install, so that the entire axle hangs down for clearance. Can the same be accomplished insofar as enuf
clearance, IYHO(?), by jacking\supporting each corner separately and install that way? The side of each axle "should" still be able to hang enuf to get the wheel off the gnd and provide install clearance for the Sumo? I say this as I only have a 6-ton jack stand and then a few 3-ton jack stands. I don't crawl under ANY vehicle after jacking unless supported by rated jack stands! My 20-ton Michelin jack will easily do the lifting tho. What think you?? -PB
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

I only did the rear Sumos.

Using a 4 ton bottle jack, I lifted one side at a time. Only needed maybe 2 or three inches of additional space between the axle and the frame. I left the wheels on. The Sumo should slip into the bump stop holder easily. If it doesn't, you slid the wrong end of the Sumo into the holder first (sorry about awkward verbiage). Try slipping the other end in first.

Please let me know if you find that the front Sumos improve the handling.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Now now girls! The BIG function of shocks are to keep the wheels on the gnd and not so much the rock-and-roll, don't ya' know?...
Rock and roll is also controlled by the shocks in addition to keeping the tires on the ground. It's the nature of the beasts to control rebound regardless of whether it is straight up and down or at an angle. The shocks don't know the difference as they were built without brains.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

I have Timbrens on my truck. I love them. They do nothing when empty and to what they are intended to to when loaded. Easy to install and then you forget they are even there, no adjustments or maintenance.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Look closely, Timbrens replace the factory bump stops with a larger piece that is suppose to act as a helper spring. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. Biggest complaint I have read is harsh ride when not ridding on them. Personally I would pass unless there is some specific reason you feel the need, like overloading? If thats the case, maybe you need to go on a diet and get your RV weight under control. No add ons are going to allow you an increase in load carrying capacity.
Not true.....The Timbrens don't even come into play unless there is a load causing the rear of the trucks to squat down thus bringing them into play. When installed properly there is about an inch or so gap between the bottom of the Timbren and where they would make contact with the axle when under a load. Without a load bringing them into play your truck would ride just the same as always.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

SumoSprings

Quote:

On to other projects!
X2 The SumoSprings made quite a difference for me.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension