Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Tire Inflation Stems

On two of my rear tires the valve in the inflation stem is recessed to far for my inflator to open the valve and allow me to add air. Does anyone know if just the tip of the stem can be replaced without damaging the stem or can an extension be added that would accomplish the same thing? This is my first experience with dual wheels?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #2

You can try changing out the valve inside the stem. They make a tool for this. Just unscrew it and screw new one in.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Thanks, I will probably try your idea.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

You're looking for this style, it even has some cores.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-20088-4-Way-Valve-Cores/dp/B0020T17J2/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

Not this style, although it would solve your problem with A LOT more work!
http://www.amazon.com/AME-51025-Quick-Valve-Change/dp/B005K8E9FY
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

I have the tool, just concerned that one wheel on each side is fine, but the other is not.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #6

It's a cheap thing to try and can not hurt. If that does not work you will have to change stems. Did you try airing tires up with a different air chuck?

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #7

If they are the yellow airless extenders, there is a thread on that issue in this forum.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

I will try replacing the valve cores first. It is just kind of funny that 4 wheels are fine, but two of the rear are not. Don't think different chuck will help as the cores are recessed to far, but stranger things have happened.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #9

Mike
I had a similar problem, I could barely get in far enough to inflate the tire, but sharp edges left cuts on my hand. Took to local RV dealer and had them install flexible extensions riveted to the hubcaps with a nut holding them on and making them removable for service. Now a piece of cake.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
On two of my rear tires the valve in the inflation stem is recessed to far for my inflator to open the valve and allow me to add air. Does anyone know if just the tip of the stem can be replaced without damaging the stem or can an extension be added that would accomplish the same thing? This is my first experience with dual wheels?
Mike:
You'll be happier if you bite the bullet and go ahead and replace the rubber stems with Steel stems. You can buy them long enough to extend through the wheel covers and still have room for tire pressure sensors. I bought mine here: DL1SP13 Chrome Duallyvalve Kit . Ask for Mike. He's sold a lot of these for Soleras and knows what you'll need. (I have no connection or interest in this company)

A set for the rear duals is $120. I bought a set for the front tires also. Total cost was less than $150. I paid my tire guy $8/ tire for installation and balancing. Took 4000 mile trip last month after installation... no problems, no pressure loss, pressure sensors functioned beautifully.

The metal stems will allow you to safely inflate the tires to a higher pressure for better fuel mileage, too.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #11

I did the "cut the tip down " thing and it does work, but I think I will go with the metal stems soon. The air- flexx extenders would work fine if stem out of the wheel was metal to begin with.

I did find the other thread concerning the extenders.

Thanks all for your help. Great forum!!.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

I goofed. In earlier post I referenced a supplier for the metal valve stems, and stated "ask for Mike"... my bad. I'm an idiot! You need to ask for BILL.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #13

Stump

I just took delivery of my 2013 Solera 24 SLE last week and I encountered the same problem. I conquered this problem just yesterday, let me see if I can explain how I did it. The flexible extension for the inner tires will not thread down far enough on the rubber tire valve stem to inflate. You may notice that the outside tire valve extension threads onto a metal U shaped diverter and not the rubber valve stem that goes into the wheel itself so it can be threaded far enough onto the metal diverter to work. The inner tire valve extension will not thread down on the rubber valve stem that goes into the wheel because it encounters the rubber neck of the valve stem and stops. Take the valve extension off of the inner tire rubber valve stem and look inside the end that threads onto the rubber valve stem. The valve extension has a plastic neck ahead of the threads that actually thread onto the rubber valve stem. This neck ahead of the threads is about 5/16 in long and can be trimmed. I cut about 1/4 in off of this plastic neck with a power saw so the threads inside of the valve extension can fully thread onto the rubber valve stem on the inside wheel and not hit the rubber on the valve stem and it worked! I hope you can understand all of this if not let me know and I will try to post some pictures.

If my Guru Brian sees this you might want to think about selling a motorhome that the inner rear tires cannot be checked or inflated and the liabilities involved with that. Have your boys trim the neck of the valve extension so they will work. Actually this might be an issue for Mercedes I am not sure where the valve extensions are added.
patmcwhirter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

So, in a nut shell you said: Remove the yellow extenders that feed air to the inside rear tires. Trim off 1/4" of plastic from the tire stem connection end, to allow the extender to actuate the shrader valve to inject air. Am I understanding this correctly.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #15

Stump

Yes you are correct, just be careful not to trim too much or you will damage the plastic threads above the neck and it will be dificult to rethread it back on.
patmcwhirter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

I really have to agree with patmcwhirter on how this valve stem problem can continue to be a issue. When we brought home our new Solera last November I discovered that I could not check the air pressure on either inner rear tire. After trimming the ends of the yellow plastic extenders I found that the driver side inner tire had 109 lbs. of pressure. This was after we had made the 300 mile trip home from the dealer. I suspect somewhere along the line someone could not get a accurate pressure reading and just kept filling the tire. Fit and finish issues are one thing but I do believe that Forest River has a responsibility to sweat the safety details.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #17

Patmcwhirter, I noticed the same thing you did when I was working on my extensions. On one I cut the outside tip and the other, the inside. The inside works best.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #18

FR can't do after market modifications to the flex extenders, due to the liability issues. Shysters would have a field day with FR if they touched this issue. So, we're on our own on this one boys. IMO

Tags
tire