Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTAR View Post
The bottom line is that motor homes are usually over weight. You are better to run max cold pressure. Tires run cooler inflated over the pressure needed to carry the load put on them. So if you inflate them to max cold pressure you tire not going to explode because it is going to run cooler,build up less pressure than running them at 65psi,and get better gas mileage.than you won't have to stop to let them cool.
We have a 5er, not a mh and 65# is max cold on the LRD tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #62

I have a 2014 Solera 24 S. Went to Hellwig site and only saw through 2012 Dodge. I imagine this is the same as the 2014. Just checking to see what you ordered and if it did indeed help with the sway and cornering? Will be looking into upgraded shocks as well, also looking for feedback for those have made this upgrade.
Thanks
fastrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrivers View Post
I have a 2014 Solera 24 S. Went to Hellwig site and only saw through 2012 Dodge. I imagine this is the same as the 2014. Just checking to see what you ordered and if it did indeed help with the sway and cornering? Will be looking into upgraded shocks as well, also looking for feedback for those have made this upgrade.
Thanks
Those of us with earlier Soleras (mostly on 2012 Chassis) used the Hellwig 7254. My understanding is that MB changed the chassis with the 2014 edition, so you may want to give Hellwig a call to make sure you have the correct fit for the 2014 MB Chassis. Their website has dimensions which you can check vs. your OEM sway bar. Probably the same, but worth checking!

Without exception, those of us who have done the Hellwig upgrade will say this is the best mod we have made. I don't know how much you've driven your 24S to date, but if you've been in crosswinds, or in heavy truck traffic, you'll notice a tremendous difference with the sway bar upgrade. I just finished a 4500 mile trip into the plains states, and handling in high cross winds was very manageable. By comparison, before the mod, mild cross winds (and passing trucks) here in NC were a nail biter. If you do the shocks too, you'll have the ultimate driving security. I haven't done the shocks yet, but looking forward to getting around to it!!!

I'm sure you'll have others chime in, and I suspect they will echo what I've said. Good luck with your new Solera. We LOVE ours.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #64

Thanks for the info. Yes I have definitely noticed the sway even in mild crosswinds and I know when a truck is passing before I even see it. Heading cross country this winter from NC so I will definitely be doing this upgrade when I get home next week.
What type of upgraded shocks are folks using? Any other mods to help?
Thanks
fastrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yes I have definitely noticed the sway even in mild crosswinds and I know when a truck is passing before I even see it. Heading cross country this winter from NC so I will definitely be doing this upgrade when I get home next week.
Thanks
Hi, Fastrivers... where in NC are you located. We're in Greensboro!

Most, I think, are using Bilsteins, but Koni also makes a great shock - a little more expensive, though. I doubt there's much difference between the two - both heavy duty and handle the extra weight of the coach. The OEM's are fine for a delivery van, but not quite adequate for a heavy coach.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #66

FastRivers:
You might log onto the FR Solera forum, too. Lots of Solera specific info there, and most everyone has done several upgrades/mods to their coaches, such as:
1. A second battery if you don't already have one.
2. Oxygenics shower head.
3. Satellite TV
4. Progressive Industries EMS (electrical management system) - either hardwired or portable.
5. Toad charge (if you tow)
6. Stabilizers (I don't recommend d/t the extra weight - plastic blocks work fine)
7. TPMS (tire pressure monitor system)
8. Solid metal valve stems.
9. Fantastic Fan(s)
10. Everything else in the CW catalogue (LOL)

Keep us posted as to what "stuff" you add!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Thanks
jackfish did a nice job documenting his suspension mods in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-42197-14.html
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #68

Tire pressue monitor

I put tire pressure monitors on my Solera. With the tires set at proper pressure when cold, when I drive for a while even in cool weather the pressure climbs to over 70 PSI. I think over pressurizing would exceed max rated pressure of the tire.
Danperryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danperryy View Post
I put tire pressure monitors on my Solera. With the tires set at proper pressure when cold, when I drive for a while even in cool weather the pressure climbs to over 70 PSI. I think over pressurizing would exceed max rated pressure of the tire.
I had same concern in the past. Tire pressure should be set when tire is cold, and should be set for the load. The pressure on the Solera tire (75psi) is max permissible cold pressure for max rated load. Don't worry about it going over that when hot, that is calculated into the ratings. This from several tire experts on the forum, and reading from Michelin's website - Max pressure is cold pressure, they will heat up when being driven.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #70
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danperryy View Post
Taylorgso is correct. I don't know why people are so worried about a max tire inflation pressure. If you read the words on the tire they say "yy Lbs Max Load at xx psi cold". Many times people incorrectly assume that is the "Max pressure". Sometimes people say to inflate trailer tires to the "max pressure shown on the tire" I may have even slipped and said such but in fact we should be saying "Inflate trailer tires to the tire pressure on the tire associated with the Max Load".

We tire engineers design and test tires for a maximum pressure level and it is at least two times the inflation molded on the sidewall or at least 150 psi on most ST, LT and P type tires in normal highway use. Many times it is the rim that fails before the tire fails.

Tire "blowouts" are not due to high inflation but are caused by flex failure due to low inflation.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire