Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
For the first year we owned our Solera 24R, we did not tow. It worked OK, but there were times when it was a pain in the rear to unhook the power, water and sewer so we could go somewhere, only to have to reconnect everything when we returned.

Back in May, we bought a 2014 Honda CRV and had it and the 24R fitted with a complete tow system, including brake activation on the CRV. We have now made three fairly long trips (actually 2/3 through the third trip right now) and find that towing the CRV is a breeze.

We've had no power issues in pulling hills, etc. Rarely do we drop below 50 mph. Fuel mileage has ranged from 12.8 mpg to 14.2 mpg, depending on the terrain. Our most recent leg of the California-Oregon-Washington trip we are on right now, we averaged 14.18 mpg over a 300-mile span. Overall, we are almost exactly 13 mpg.

There are days when we don't unhook the toad, but it sure is handy to be able to do so when you want,

Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
You pose a great question we didn't consider until AFTER we bought our 24S! "OK we're here -- how do we get around now?" After a couple of years we've done all the above.

I pull a 55 Willys to offroad with a Reese TowPower adjustable tow bar. the Jeep weighs about 2500 lbs and our Solera has had no problem pulling her. We live at sea level and camp 125 miles away at 4000 ft. The Solera manages the climb easily. We've used the Jeep as our toad occasionally. I personally wouldn't want to drag a car on every trip -- especially a long one, but that's just my preference.

For other trips we either attach a Thule 4 bike rack into the receiver and use our mountain bikes for local touring or running errands. We also have a receiver mounted motorcycle rack to haul a Yamaha 225. Each rack set me back about $175 -- but it has have been money well spent.

Derek also mentioned public transportation -- a great tip! Whether in a National Park or in the city -- we've gotten great tips on what to do and see from "locals" and tourists alike riding local public transportation.

eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
Tow a forester using road master hitch system. Hooks up in less than 5 minutes. Lost about one mike per gallon. Do not notice any handling or power issues.

Sent from my iPad from San Diego
Dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Towing Forester

Originally Posted by Dish View Post
Tow a forester using road master hitch system. Hooks up in less than 5 minutes. Lost about one mike per gallon. Do not notice any handling or power issues.

Sent from my iPad from San Diego
Just got a 2015 Forester with the same setup. Have not received the tow parts yet. Glad to hear someone using the same Combo.
George & Karen
2014 F150 4X4 5.0L 3.55 Axle
Husky Centerline TS 1200lb 4 point WDH
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
Fiat 500L trekking

Here is my toad set up and ready to go.
2014 Fiat Trekking, Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate, RoadMaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs, Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring Kit - Bulb and Socket BX8869, Ready Brake Receiver[ RB-4000 ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7511.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	64224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7512.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	64225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7513.jpg
Views:	133