Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #1

To Toad or not to Toad (and how to Toad) ...

I'm in the process of acquiring a new Solera R and thinking about whether to pull a toad and, if so, whether to use a tow dolly or not. I'd appreciate input from other Solera owners on their experiences and preferences.

I guess my first questions are for those who don't pull a toad - how is that working for you? How much of a hassle is it to put the Solera on the road just to go to the grocery store? How does the Solera do in the grocery store parking lot? All in all, I'd prefer not having a toad, but I am concerned about the inconveniences involved.

If you do pull a toad, do you flat tow or use a dolly? I have flat towed in the past and, with a larger unit, I would have had problems at some campsites if I'd had a dolly. I don't think that would be an issue with the Solera, but I'm not sure how much is involved in getting a car on and off a dolly. The dolly certainly opens up the range of towable vehicles and seems like it might be about a wash, cost-wise, when compared to tow bar, base plate and braking system.

So...there are my questions (well, the ones I've thought of!) and I'd appreciate any and all comments and opinions.

Thanks

Dave Jordan
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

I have an R and initially did not tow. I did find it a little inconvenient unhooking to make a run. The RV does not have any problems maneuvering in parking lots, so going to the store with it is not a problem.
Towing is also not a problem and I tow all wheels down. The length of the RV with a toad is very manageable and have yet to encounter anywhere that became an issue. The dolly is not a bad solution, but it is additional weight.
Other than the weight and storage it is probably a wash.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

We tried no toad and camped outside of Yosemite and drove solara there every day. Wife decided we needed a toad. We tow a 2 door jeep. Only dropped gas milage down 2-4mpg
Way more convenient to have a little fun vehicle and leave solera at campground

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

The tow bar I have uses a "surge brake". A cable to the toads brake pedal takes care of the braking needs. More expensive tow bar, but much cheaper braking system and it works really well. Even with the cost of the base plate I am still ahead.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

I tow an "Open Road" two wheel trailer (Electric Brakes) with a Smart Car on it. I am really amazed how well the Solera handles-It's like it is not even back there. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller installed in the Solera for the trailer electric brakes. This works very well for my wife and I. Good Luck in your assessment.
CaptDan
2013 Solera S
FamCamp Maxwell AFB, AL

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

I just went through this as I feel my 24R is small enough to get around with. Am now having our 2011 Equinox set up to tow behind 4 wheels down. Weight of the Equinox is close to 4,000 lbs. so do not want anything heavier. Decided it would be nice to have the toad along on some trips but think we will go without on many trips. At least I will now have the option.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
2012 Solera

No toad. Over 36K miles including an Alaska trip and a cross-country trip. If we are going to camp somewhere for several nights we reserve a rental car near the campground and pick it up on our way to the campground. Otherwise we stop for groceries or go out to dinner before we set up to camp (hook up). No issue so far with store parking lots. Works for us.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

We have about 17,000 miles on our 24R and we have never towed a vehicle. It really depends on where you are planning on traveling. We go to a lot of western National Parks and driving the Solera through them works great for us. If it is time to eat we just park at a scenic site and fix something to eat. On the other hand if you like a lot of city museums it would be a pain to try and find parking in downtown areas.

We have no problems in grocery store parking lots however getting into and out of them with the low hanging stabilizer can be a pain. If there is much of a dip the stabilizers will drag no matter how slow or what angle tried.

To lessen the need for a vehicle we stay at some RV parks that have access to public transportation to areas we might be interested in. For example both Deadwood, South Dakota and Durango, Colorado have trolley's that stop as some RV parks.

I would suggest try it without first.
Eric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

I went another route. I didn't want to have to move the rig to go to a store or a trailhead, but didn't want the extra hassle of towing.

Bought a used 125 Scooter and a hitch mounted rack. The scooter is very light and I don't even know its there when driving. It's light enough I can easily load/unload it by myself. Best of all, it's a hoot to ride. I have a box that goes on the back and easily holds 2-3 bags of groceries. Works for me.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
AUWORKS

I pull a Kia Forte behind my 2014 24R. Flat tow using a Blue Ox system. We take it everywhere we go and it is no problem and tows exceptionally well. My wife can even hook it up. Great set up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
AUWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #11

For the first year we owned our Solera 24R, we did not tow. It worked OK, but there were times when it was a pain in the rear to unhook the power, water and sewer so we could go somewhere, only to have to reconnect everything when we returned.

Back in May, we bought a 2014 Honda CRV and had it and the 24R fitted with a complete tow system, including brake activation on the CRV. We have now made three fairly long trips (actually 2/3 through the third trip right now) and find that towing the CRV is a breeze.

We've had no power issues in pulling hills, etc. Rarely do we drop below 50 mph. Fuel mileage has ranged from 12.8 mpg to 14.2 mpg, depending on the terrain. Our most recent leg of the California-Oregon-Washington trip we are on right now, we averaged 14.18 mpg over a 300-mile span. Overall, we are almost exactly 13 mpg.

There are days when we don't unhook the toad, but it sure is handy to be able to do so when you want,

TJ
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #12

You pose a great question we didn't consider until AFTER we bought our 24S! "OK we're here -- how do we get around now?" After a couple of years we've done all the above.

I pull a 55 Willys to offroad with a Reese TowPower adjustable tow bar. the Jeep weighs about 2500 lbs and our Solera has had no problem pulling her. We live at sea level and camp 125 miles away at 4000 ft. The Solera manages the climb easily. We've used the Jeep as our toad occasionally. I personally wouldn't want to drag a car on every trip -- especially a long one, but that's just my preference.

For other trips we either attach a Thule 4 bike rack into the receiver and use our mountain bikes for local touring or running errands. We also have a receiver mounted motorcycle rack to haul a Yamaha 225. Each rack set me back about $175 -- but it has have been money well spent.

Derek also mentioned public transportation -- a great tip! Whether in a National Park or in the city -- we've gotten great tips on what to do and see from "locals" and tourists alike riding local public transportation.
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #13

Tow a forester using road master hitch system. Hooks up in less than 5 minutes. Lost about one mike per gallon. Do not notice any handling or power issues.

Sent from my iPad from San Diego
Dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #14

Towing Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dish View Post
Tow a forester using road master hitch system. Hooks up in less than 5 minutes. Lost about one mike per gallon. Do not notice any handling or power issues.

Sent from my iPad from San Diego
Just got a 2015 Forester with the same setup. Have not received the tow parts yet. Glad to hear someone using the same Combo.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #15

Fiat 500L trekking

Here is my toad set up and ready to go.
2014 Fiat Trekking, Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate, RoadMaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs, Blue Ox Tail Light Wiring Kit - Bulb and Socket BX8869, Ready Brake Receiver[ RB-4000 ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7511.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	64224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7512.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	64225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7513.jpg
Views:	173