Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Needs Help

Toad and RV site reservations

We are about to go on our first trip with a car in tow behind the trusty Solera. It was easy saying I had a 25ft RV before. When seeking reservations should I be looking at longer sites or possibly always look for pull throughs? I am unsure how the toad figures into things.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

I've never had an issue. Always room for the toad. Even on the smaller state /forest service sites.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #3

I always mention that I have a 38 foot MH and that I am towing a vehicle. At least with KOA they seem to like to know. I don't want to show up at 8PM and have them give me a 50 foot long site.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
Needs Help

Glad to hear. Thanks for the advice. Taking the CR-V in next week to get a tow bar and break pedal smasher installed. After 14k traveling with no dingy it's gonna be a nice change. Just need to remember not to get into a situation were I need to back up.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

In the parks we have used we always call for reservations and tell them we have a motorhome
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

[QUOTE=debandi;1232444]In the parks we have used we always call for reservations and tell them we have a motorhome and what we are towing. We feel it's the right thing to do. QUOTE]
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

Just tell them you have a TOAD and you will be fine

Pul throughs are great for overnights but if you want to save a few $$ just unhook and get a back-in site - especially if you are going to be there for an extended period of time (and the CG charges extra for a pull-thru site)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
Glad to hear. Thanks for the advice. Taking the CR-V in next week to get a tow bar and break pedal smasher installed. After 14k traveling with no dingy it's gonna be a nice change. Just need to remember not to get into a situation were I need to back up.
Well....it's going to happen sooner or later. On our trip back to Oregon from Ohio, we tried to loop through an RV park after discovering it was not the one we had reservations for. I took what used to be the exit back onto the highway from the park only to discover that they had blocked it off. Needless to say, we were trapped....had to unhook the toad (also a CR-V), back it out of the way, back up the MH and get re-positioned heading back the other way, line up the CR-V and do the whole hook-up again. It's bound to happen and also be careful when you park somewhere and come back to find that some clown has parked his car directly in front of you and he's nowhere in sight.
Good Luck
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
Needs Help

LOL, I know and will make a priority of learning quick disconnect/reconnect for the car. I know it will be a learning process so this first trip will be an adventure!

Thanks all!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

Toad and reservations

A lot of the parks I make reservations at ask if we are towing and if they don't I tell them we are. When we get there I unhook, park the motorhome and then the Smart car in front of the motorhome. Never had any problems, even with the Smart.

Now as to backing up while towing - Ain't gonna happen.
I got "stuck" in an RV park once while turning into a loop I had no business being in. The other was boarding a Naval Base to use their FAMCAMP. I got one car back from the checkpoint and the young MAA finally looks up and notices me sitting there. Duh... He motions me to back up and to move to the right into an inspection lane. No signs, nothing. I politely pointed behind me at the line of traffic that had built up and pointed out that I was towing and COULD NOT back up. Poor kid didn't know whether to defecate or go blind. Finally his LPO came out and asked to see inside the motorhome. Poked his head in the door, did not go any further, did a quick look-see for the sake of form and let me go. That would have been a goat rope if he didn't use the common sense that the Navy had tried to beat out of him. By the way, I'm retired Navy and thanked him for the fine job they were doing.

Chris in Virginia
Retired Chief Machinist's Mate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart and Sunseeker.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	111612  

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #11

Toads can be an issue.. Here in BC we Royally get ripped off. The BC Parks charge for the motor home and then they also charge for the Toad.
The Parks Service in this province needs to give their heads a shake. There are more and more RVs on the roads and there has been very few new camp grounds built for over 50 years. Mind you for the first time in 40 years they put in new tables and graveled the camp sites in Bear Creek across the lake from Kelowna. Wow Big move.!!! They had gotten so bad there was no gravel left on most of the sites

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
Dahagen

RV'ing for many years, the last 12 years 6 to 7 months each winter. I to 4 down and have never had a problem. However I have seen many parks that don't have room for tow dollies or trailers, or may charge extra for a place to park them.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad