Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #21

I put in a boost system on my new rubicon
Brakes like a champ
Tows fantastic and able to stop in a hurry
Rubicon weighs 4k so it pushes going down 7 percent grades. A computer controls how much braking force is needed and on the flat not much is applied but down those big grades it applies lots of force. Glad I invested in the system
The place I had mine done does 2 jeeps a week so I trusted their judgement
I use the tranny and the brakes to keep me at a safe speed
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #22

What kind of shop installed the brake on the jeep. RV shop or jeep shop?
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #23

A rv shop
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #24

We just got back from a 7 week, 4000 mile, 10 state vacation in our 2011 Solera. We towed a Honda Fit with a Roadmaster Falcon towbar. We went with the Falcon because of the ease of the connect/disconnect, and the fact that with the tow harness removed, the Fit looks clean. We did not have auxiliary brakes. We were advised that if we went to California or Canada, they would be required. However, we could not even tell that we were towing a vehicle. Mileage is unchanged at 13.6 mpg. The AC unit affects mileage far more that a TOAD. Only disadvantage is the length, and the fact that you shouldn't back it up. We are really glad that we chose to tow our car. It gave us a freedom that offset the price we paid. We will have a braking system before we head to the West coast next year...
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #25

We just got back from a 16 day 3000 mile trip Oregon towing our jeep rubicon
12-13 miles per gallon even towing over grades although we slowed to 45 going up 7 percent grades, it made it no problem
It was wonderful to have a car along
Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Tinkerer and Putterer

I had an E350 and now have an e450 that tows a Ford Escape. I have towed without my auxillary brake (Blue Ox) for a short distance. I wanted to see what the difference was at 45 mph stopping on level ground. That was the only reason for not running the Ox. The result was that without the Ox it required at least an extra 50 feet to stop with the toad. I don't want to think what would happen on a downhill grade. I won't travel without one. I like the Ox brake because it has an auxillary power hookup and a remote control for the cab. I use a roadmaster all terrain bar but find that the tension release doesn't always release as easily as I would like.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
[QUOTE. However, we could not even tell that we were towing a vehicle. Mileage is unchanged at 13.6 mpg. Only disadvantage is the length, and the fact that you shouldn't back it up. ...[/QUOTE]

Happy to read that. Our milleage is 14.5 mpg towing a Corolla. We also have the Roadmaster Falcon

Now, to back up : I DO NOT ENCOURAGE THAT PRACTICE BUT IT WORKS !!!
Get a second driver in the toad, start the engine, put it on reverse and pull the Solera. The driver in the Solera just maintain the wheels straight and turn a little bit if needed. Understand it is only for a very short distance like when you tried to make a uturn and had not enough space and you were jamming the road .

Reading all of you guys make me reconsider the aux brake. It's already installed in the Solera, I will get something for the Corolla soon.

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #28

Based in part on all the good posts to this thread, I took the leap and ordered all the stuff required to rig my Honda Fit to be towed by the Solera. Including brakes for the toad. Wow, it is expensive! I will repost when I get to the installation of: baseplates, lights, brakes, etc.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Based in part on all the good posts to this thread, I took the leap and ordered all the stuff required to rig my Honda Fit to be towed by the Solera. Including brakes for the toad. Wow, it is expensive! I will repost when I get to the installation of: baseplates, lights, brakes, etc.
Congrats!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #30

Whichever brand of towbar you purchase, I recommend buying their "motorhome mounted" model. That type fits into your hitch receiver rather than to a hitch ball. Motorhomes have a long rear overhang. The towbar manufacturers state that in some cases the hitch can rise so high or low that it will pop the towbar off a ball. In addition, they emphatically state that towbars with ballmounts must be level when towing. The receiver mount type can be up to three inches different in height. When you look at the cost of a dropped hitch adapter and ball, a motorhome mounted towbar doesn't cost a lot more.

You can look at the manufacturers' web site and download the installation and user instructions for towbars that you are interested in to get a good insight into the different products.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #31

Some have mentioned they have a Blue Ox Patriot toad braking system. That's what we have. It has given good service. I also especially like being able to control the braking force, or completely turn it off, with the wireless remote at the driver's seat.

We power it from the toad's battery through the "cigarette lighter" (as it is known to us old guys). We have towed it for two, 10 hour days without starting the toad's engine. However, the toad's battery ran down during our spring trip. It suddenly occurred to me that we were late in the third day of towing it. I simply put my booster battery in the toad and used it to power the Patriot for the remaining hours.

To recharge the toad's battery without having it idle for an hour, I just connected jumper cables from the chassis battery to the toad's battery. The coach's convertor charged the toad's battery overnight as it was charging the coach and chassis's batteries. Since the coach and chassis batteries were already fully charged, it wasn't too much load for the convertor.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Some have mentioned they have a Blue Ox Patriot toad braking system. That's what we have. It has given good service. I also especially like being able to control the braking force, or completely turn it off, with the wireless remote at the driver's seat.

We power it from the toad's battery through the "cigarette lighter" (as it is known to us old guys). We have towed it for two, 10 hour days without starting the toad's engine. However, the toad's battery ran down during our spring trip. It suddenly occurred to me that we were late in the third day of towing it. I simply put my booster battery in the toad and used it to power the Patriot for the remaining hours.

To recharge the toad's battery without having it idle for an hour, I just connected jumper cables from the chassis battery to the toad's battery. The coach's convertor charged the toad's battery overnight as it was charging the coach and chassis's batteries. Since the coach and chassis batteries were already fully charged, it wasn't too much load for the convertor.
Rambler:
I also have the Patriot. I was concerned also about discharging the toad's battery, so I installed a "Toad Charge" system. Works well and keeps the toad battery from discharging. I also like it because I can run with the toad parking lights on at night. I have the magnetic brake lights connected to the coach, so with the toad parking lights on, it gives me a lot of extra visibility at night (can't have too much).
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Great Move, DavidS:
Had the impression from earlier posts you were vacillating somewhat about using a toad brake system.
We were in the mountains of Virginia this past weekend. I had the chance to do some experimenting with my Patriot Toad Brake... My Mazda3 weighs slightly more than your Fit, but I wouldn't want to tow without the brake. With the Patriot the sensitivity is adjustable, and I found that the Patriot made a HUGE difference negotiating the hills and hairpin turns on those backcountry mountain roads. Just reinforced my decision to always have a toad brake of some sort. What brake did you decide to go with?

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #34

This is a very supportive group! Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

I spent some time doing research, watching installation videos and reading specifications before ordering the following from our friends at eTrailer:
1 Roadmaster Ez Base Plate Kit 521190-1
1 Roadmaster 6-diode Wiring Kit For Towed Cars - Separate
1 Roadmaster Safety Cables - 6k Coiled
1 Tow Bar Falcon-2
1 Brake Roadmaster Even Brake Proportional

I am pretty sure that I will need a drop hitch in order to keep the tow bar level, but nothing is installed yet so I can't do the measurements.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #35

Quote:

I am pretty sure that I will need a drop hitch in order to keep the tow bar level, but nothing is installed yet so I can't do the measurements.
Our Solera was the perfect height to tow a Fit with the Roadmaster Falcon kit. The towbar slid into the receiver exactly level...
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #36

thanks, that is encouraging
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #37

Ours was perfect height for a rubicon jeep using the blue ox system.