Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #31

Some have mentioned they have a Blue Ox Patriot toad braking system. That's what we have. It has given good service. I also especially like being able to control the braking force, or completely turn it off, with the wireless remote at the driver's seat.

We power it from the toad's battery through the "cigarette lighter" (as it is known to us old guys). We have towed it for two, 10 hour days without starting the toad's engine. However, the toad's battery ran down during our spring trip. It suddenly occurred to me that we were late in the third day of towing it. I simply put my booster battery in the toad and used it to power the Patriot for the remaining hours.

To recharge the toad's battery without having it idle for an hour, I just connected jumper cables from the chassis battery to the toad's battery. The coach's convertor charged the toad's battery overnight as it was charging the coach and chassis's batteries. Since the coach and chassis batteries were already fully charged, it wasn't too much load for the convertor.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Some have mentioned they have a Blue Ox Patriot toad braking system. That's what we have. It has given good service. I also especially like being able to control the braking force, or completely turn it off, with the wireless remote at the driver's seat.

We power it from the toad's battery through the "cigarette lighter" (as it is known to us old guys). We have towed it for two, 10 hour days without starting the toad's engine. However, the toad's battery ran down during our spring trip. It suddenly occurred to me that we were late in the third day of towing it. I simply put my booster battery in the toad and used it to power the Patriot for the remaining hours.

To recharge the toad's battery without having it idle for an hour, I just connected jumper cables from the chassis battery to the toad's battery. The coach's convertor charged the toad's battery overnight as it was charging the coach and chassis's batteries. Since the coach and chassis batteries were already fully charged, it wasn't too much load for the convertor.
Rambler:
I also have the Patriot. I was concerned also about discharging the toad's battery, so I installed a "Toad Charge" system. Works well and keeps the toad battery from discharging. I also like it because I can run with the toad parking lights on at night. I have the magnetic brake lights connected to the coach, so with the toad parking lights on, it gives me a lot of extra visibility at night (can't have too much).

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Based in part on all the good posts to this thread, I took the leap and ordered all the stuff required to rig my Honda Fit to be towed by the Solera. Including brakes for the toad. Wow, it is expensive! I will repost when I get to the installation of: baseplates, lights, brakes, etc.
Great Move, DavidS:
Had the impression from earlier posts you were vacillating somewhat about using a toad brake system.
We were in the mountains of Virginia this past weekend. I had the chance to do some experimenting with my Patriot Toad Brake... My Mazda3 weighs slightly more than your Fit, but I wouldn't want to tow without the brake. With the Patriot the sensitivity is adjustable, and I found that the Patriot made a HUGE difference negotiating the hills and hairpin turns on those backcountry mountain roads. Just reinforced my decision to always have a toad brake of some sort. What brake did you decide to go with?

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #34

This is a very supportive group! Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

I spent some time doing research, watching installation videos and reading specifications before ordering the following from our friends at eTrailer:
1 Roadmaster Ez Base Plate Kit 521190-1
1 Roadmaster 6-diode Wiring Kit For Towed Cars - Separate
1 Roadmaster Safety Cables - 6k Coiled
1 Tow Bar Falcon-2
1 Brake Roadmaster Even Brake Proportional

I am pretty sure that I will need a drop hitch in order to keep the tow bar level, but nothing is installed yet so I can't do the measurements.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post

I am pretty sure that I will need a drop hitch in order to keep the tow bar level, but nothing is installed yet so I can't do the measurements.
Our Solera was the perfect height to tow a Fit with the Roadmaster Falcon kit. The towbar slid into the receiver exactly level...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #36

thanks, that is encouraging
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #37

Ours was perfect height for a rubicon jeep using the blue ox system.