Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Tow Bar Advice

We would like to tow our Mini four wheels down with our Solera. Both Blue Ox and Roadmaster make baseplates for our car but they look to be quite different in how they hook up to the tow bar. I would like to hear from anyone who has used either of these systems, pros and cons of each and any other advice you could give about dinghy towing. I have tried to do as much research as I can but I would like input from others who have towed with their Solera.

I know that there is much debate about the need for a Dinghy Braking System on a car that only weighs 2500 lbs but we are going to use a Brake Buddy type system for the extra safety and peace of mind.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Roadmaster falcon all terrain here. 6k rated. Towing a Honda fit. I just preferred how it pins to the tow bar. Everybody's got their preference. We've never had any trouble with it. Hooks up easy, stores on MH easy, all easy. We don't use aux braking on the toad, again our choice. I'm sure I'll get comments. Boat with no brakes weighs about the same. The car is feather weight, and I still keep a large distance. Braking of the E-450 is excellent, with or without toad.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Are you driving E450 or Solara??
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Forester / E-450, but the question was about tow bar opinions. Only reason I threw that out there was braking of the solera may be different, and we don't use aux braking.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #5

Doesn't anybody tow a dinghy with their Solera?
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

We tow a 2013 rubicon jeep
Weight is around 4k with rear seat removed
We put an auxiliary power braking system along with a blue ox tow bar
Tows fantastic
Slows a little on grades but stops better towing
Fuel mileage still 12 to 13
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Doesn't anybody tow a dinghy with their Solera?
David, we tow a Mazda3 with our Solera. Use BlueOx Base plate, and BlueOx Ambassador tow bar (it's their least expensive , does not stow on MH - it's also light weight). We use the BlueOx Patriot Auxiliary Brake. The whole setup tows like a dream. Yes, a little more time involved setting up the Patriot, but NO Installation expense!!! We also have Toad Charge system installed to keep battery charged in the Mazda - that way we can keep parking lights on the Mazda activated, driving at night won't d/c the battery!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I have a 2013 Solera 24R and a 2013 Honda Fit. I have taken a couple of trips, but I am an RV newbie. I am thinking about trying to drag the Fit around from time to time. I have been "doing my homework" on baseplates, towbars, braking systems, etc. The Fit is very light so I could probably get away without brakes.

This forum and the enthusiastic participation of other owners and bclemens was an important factor in choosing Forest River and the Solera.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

I would set up a brake system
In California anything over 2000 requires it
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #10

Most states has similar requirements varying on weight.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
X2. Though it varies from state to state, you are subject to the laws of the state you are driving in. In the hands of a good lawyer, if your toad GCWR is greater than GVWR and you don't have supplemental braking - and have an accident - that lawyer will have a field day with a lawsuit. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Your Honda FIT has a curb weight (unloaded weight) of 2496 pounds - not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination. With Fuel and [stuff], it'll approach 3000#... Get an auxiliary brake!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #12

Oh but most state laws are for trailers and not towed vehicles. There is not any states that I have seen that have anything for a towed car. A lawyer might want to make a case but it would be hard pressed to make the towed car the same as a trailer. Not the same type of rig.

This fits right in with the overloaded rig thing. Lots of people say your insurance won't cover you if you are in an accident if you are overloaded but no one can cite a case where anybody ever was not covered and that there was a ticket issued or a court case where this has happened. Sure the insurance company can cancel your insurance after this is settled but you well still be covered for this one. Otherwise they would drop a drunk driver that gets into an accident is about 10 seconds.

Now with that being said I wouldn't tow without an aux brake myself, it is just going to help your tow vehicle brakes last longer, make stops shorter and make for an overall better driving experience.

I have a small aluminum flatbed trailer that weighs 450# and with my ATV on it I'm still under 1500#. The trailer is rated for 2990# so it does/did not have any brakes on it. Since I bought it and it had the 3500# Dexter axle on it that allowed me to put brakes on it I installed them. Just a safer thing to do.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

I just checked with the Louisiana State Police and you are correct for Louisiana. Additional braking braking for a towed vehicle is not required but recommended.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
Oh but most state laws are for trailers and not towed vehicles. There is not any states that I have seen that have anything for a towed car. A lawyer might want to make a case but it would be hard pressed to make the towed car the same as a trailer. Not the same type of rig.
Butch, I wasn't arguing the legal technicalities. My argument is that if your MH has a stated GVWR, and your GCWR exceeds that weight, you are stressing the brakes that the MH chassis is designed for. There may not be a law broken, but a civil lawsuit can ruin you... all for the sake of saving a few hundred bucks by NOT having an auxiliary braking system.

Case in point, My former rig was a 38' DP, with a GVWR of a little over 25000 lbs. Loaded, and with my toad, I was under that weight and hence did not use auxiliary brake. The toad back then was a Geo Metro - weight less than 2000lbs but if adding that toad had put me over GVWR, I would have added the braking. Currently with the Solera I DEFINITELY have an aux. brake... towing a motorbike would almost put me overweight!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

ED,

I agree with you completly, If you tow a vehicle behind a MH than I too strongly beleive that you should use a supllemental brake system. It is just so much eaiser on all of the equipment and also yourself so when you are talking about the expense of a braking system compared to what you just paid for a MH it just doesn't make any cents $. Yes I know I mispelled it, it just made sense to.

ON EDIT: In today suing society it won't make any difference if you have a braking system or not. If you are in an accident and the other party wants to sue you all they have to do is get a lawyer and do it. Brings to mind the lady a number of years back that sued McDonalds for the hot coffee SHE split and won the case. Duh if you order hot coffee what is it going to be COLD!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #16

To me, going down grades is the greatest advantage of the system. Coming out of Oregon down i5 its like 9 miles of 6 percent grade and even after downshift it picked up speed. I could really feel the jeeps brakes pulling me back.
Going up the grades the mercedes is a brute but going down scares me.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
Going up the grades the mercedes is a brute but going down scares me.
Yikes. Wish I hadn't read that (then again maybe should be glad I did) Going into mountains in VA tomorrow (Natural Bridge area). I don't know what kind of grades I'll encounter, though. We will be towing, so gonna be interesting!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #18

Hey Butch,
I would Google and study about the McDonald's lawsuit before commenting. That was a lawsuit that was deserved. That lady was I think almost 80-90 years old and almost died from the burns. Her whole bottom was pretty much 3rd degree burns. She only asked for McDonald's to pay for medical cost and they refused. That is when she sued and rightfully so. I know most lawsuits are bogus but what this lady went through was very sad. Go to YouTube and search for it. It was very sad and then media made it out to just be a lady looking for money couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABandit View Post
Hey Butch,
I would Google and study about the McDonald's lawsuit before commenting. That was a lawsuit that was deserved. That lady was I think almost 80-90 years old and almost died from the burns. Her whole bottom was pretty much 3rd degree burns. She only asked for McDonald's to pay for medical cost and they refused. That is when she sued and rightfully so. I know most lawsuits are bogus but what this lady went through was very sad. Go to YouTube and search for it. It was very sad and then media made it out to just be a lady looking for money couldn't be further from the truth.
I know all of this but why would a person put a scalding hot coffee between their legs. My gosh put it into the cup holder till it cools down. A lot of it still boils down to you can't fix peoples stupidty. Why is an 80 to 90 old woman buying coffee to drive down the street with in the first place. At that age they should be putting all of their concentration on driving a car not drinking hot coffee and attempting to drive. If she really wanted to have a cup stop in the resturant and sit down and drink it then carry on. I feel for the person that is happened to but still think people don't take responsibilities for something stupid they did. Instead just sue the company.

Oh well this is way off topic so I well drop this.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Sandiegodoug
Senior Member said:

I think that NY State requires it over 1000 lbs !

I tow a Toyota Corolla 2700 lbs with a Roadmaster, fantastic, I don't even notice I'm pulling a car. No aux brakes and never had a problem to panic stop but, be cautious, put an aux system if you can !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote