Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

We're thinking about buying a 24R in the next few weeks and all the info everyone is giving is very helpful. The question I have is, what type of jeep are people pulling behind the Solera? We have a wrangler unlimited that we may pull once and a while and are thinking about a trailer with our motorcycles. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

We tow a 2013 jk rubicon with a weight of 4000 but usually remove the back seat. I think the unlimited weighs 500 more but I know the sport jk was about 250 lbs lighter then our rubicon

Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

Just pulled the Malibu slightly shy of 500 miles and I am impressed with the little diesel that could!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #14

Anybody tow a Honda CR-V? Do you need the AWD version or can you use the FWD too? I want to tow a Jeep Unlimited but they are too heavy from what I can tell.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #15

Yes...we are towing a 2014 CR-V AWD, but you can also tow the FWD with all four wheels on the ground. There is a simple prep program you need to do with the transmission (5 seconds idling in D and 3 minutes in neutral before turning off the engine; never go from R to neutral for the 3 minutes...always from D to neutral).

The CR-V tows well behind the Solera and Roadmaster makes a great base plate and tow bar specifically it. The Stay-in-Play braking system is a great addition with no bulky box needed in the passenger compartment. A small cylinder under the hood activates the brakes.

We looked very carefully at "toad" possibilities before selecting the Honda CR-V. It has turned out to be an excellent choice.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #16

The basic soft top unlimited weighs 4075 according to the web
Just put transfer case in neutral and go
No key in ignition
Our 2013 rubicon weighs about 4000
Solera has no problem towing
Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #17

Thanks Sandiegodoug. I must have been looking at the version with the hard top because I think it weighed about 4500 lbs. One option might be to get the hard top and remove and use the soft top when towing. Not sure how much effort is involved? My concern where we live is because of the amount of rain the soft top would start looking pretty ragged.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #18

Honestly
To me it's about fun. Camping is my relaxation and when I go to a spot it's about
Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #19

To me it's about out door enjoyment and removing the top when we are visiting a beautiful Spot. The new upgrade soft top is as nice as a hard top
When we were deciding I would say 8 out of 10 rvs we saw were towing wranglers. I like the 2 door because i can squeeze it onto any campsite with my solera
Get the toad that best suits your needs
To me the jeep is solely a camping toy
Not a daily driver. Gas mileage worse than my lexus ls 430.
Just my 2 cents
Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #20

I just finished a 700 mile trip across West Virginia towing a 3000 lbs trailer. It tows beautifully on the flats but it struggles on the hills. There were times that I could only go 45 mph in a 70 mph zone of highway 79 at Full throttle. The engine can handle it but I worry about the transmission. Without a transmission temp gauge, there's no way to know for sure. I averaged 12.9 mpg while towing with LOTS of hills but no wind at 60 mph Max.

Tags
towing