Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Towing a Solera

Rather than driving 125 miles to the nearest Mercedes Warranty repair facility when my check engine light came on, I had a local RV shop run an engine diagnosis. Two codes came up; same two that were allegedly repaired under warranty in February.

The shop manager at the warranty facility said he feared I would go into limp mode before I could make it to the shop so I arranged a tow with Mercedes Benz Road Service and Chassis Warrant

I learned several things that might be helpful should you ever need a tow whether still under warranty or out of warranty.

1. The warranty folks are very professional and eager to help. They did not dispute my need for a tow. I did learn you have to call the day you want the tow. Not knowing that, I called a week in advance of my warranty appointment. However, the representative logged all the information so when I called yesterday morning it took only a few minutes to complete the process. With 10 minutes of ending the call I received a text with the name and phone number of the tow company, which I then called to complete the process. Word of caution. . .this is the second time I’ve had to talk to the MB warranty folks and they really don’t understand the difference between a sprinter van and sprinter motorhome. You must be very clear. Oh, and they continued to call back to insure everything was going smoothly.

2. The Solera (at least my model) sits too low to the ground to safely tow with a hook. Despite my explanation of that to the tow company they sent a hook truck. After the driver reviewed the situation he said he couldn’t tow it without dragging the mud flaps and possibly even the factory-installed Big Foot stabilizers. That created a two hour delay while they dispatched a flatbed tow truck. Oh, and don’t expect the tow company to get the information correct. The driver of the first tow truck had me talk to the dispatcher who claimed that MB never provided him the right information. When I reminded him that he and I went over the correct information that MB provided he tried to pass it off as, “it’s been a really busy morning.”

3. The driver of the flatbed tow truck realized he could not winch the Solera up the ramp without dragging the stabilizers to he placed long blocks in front of the rear wheels, which lifted the back as he winched it up. Additionally because the rear tires have so little space between them it took him nearly 45 minutes to pull the tie down chains between the tires, a link at a time.

Hopefully you will never have to use any of this information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solera Ready to tow.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	78933  
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Nice pic. I was wondering how to flatbed tow a Solera. Apparently you need a big rig for the overall height and weight.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Just curious as to what codes showed up. Seems as if almost every trip I make I get a cel that goes away after several stops and restarts. Only the def light has thus far limited my starts. Hope that is fixed after 3 trips to the dealers. Just not sure how much trust I have with the Sprinter. Nice photos of the big rig towing your Solera, hope all the troubles get solved this time.
Good Luck
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

Good information to know and pass along as needed
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

BadBob -- The codes were P14F200 and P11C300. MB of Chandler, Arizona then replaced the Air Mass Meter and cleared the codes. Several hundred miles later got the same codes again and MB of Eugene, Oregon said to not drive it the 125 miles from Bend, OR. At purchase, knowing the MB warranty shops were 180 miles from my winter home and 125 from my summer home, I did hesitate. Then I thought, hell, it's a Mercedes Benz engine. Hmmm.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #6

lacamastraveler-- We have had to cancel 3 trips and come home and take our rig into Redding Freightliner, as they are our nearest dealer. Happy with what they have done but just seems to be one thing after another. Planning on a long trip end of Sept. and Oct. and just crossing my fingers that we will have all the bugs worked out. If we have to cancel about one more trip, think I will just count my losses and dump the unit and go back to the fiver and my truck. Love the drive and performance of the Mercedes but not to happy with dependability factor at this time. Know all units can have problems but not always easy to get a Mercedes worked on when out on the road.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #7

Who to use for cab and chassis repairs

My 2013 Solera 24R is probably off warranty. Not actually sure.

I have had a few small issues repaired for the house but not for the cab and chassis.

Where should I take it for things like error codes? I moved recently to Fresno CA, but I am mostly interested on where to go when on the road.

Is there a web site somewhere that has "find a Sprinter cab and chassis repair facility"?
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

PopBeavers, your drive train is likely under warranty for five years. Typically dealerships warranty the motorhome for only one year, but remember that many of your components (AC, TV, etc.) have longer manufacture warranties.

Almost any automotive or RV shop can run the codes for you, which will save a trip to a warranty shop if it is serveral miles away. Also you can buy a reader which works for both your motorhome and (newer) autos. I plan to do so.

By the way, the codes I mentioned in my first post. . .turns out MB just released a tech bulletin about the codes. I will post complete information when I get my motorhome back.

The tow truck driver managed to do $1,800 damage to my Solera, so it's now at an RV repair facility. Yes, the tow company is paying for it.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Is there a web site somewhere that has "find a Sprinter cab and chassis repair facility"?
Yes, click Here for the M-B Sprinter website page that lists your warranty coverage and has a dealer look up link. Or call Sprinter Roadside Assistance at 877-762-8267.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
PopBeavers, your drive train is likely under warranty for five years. Typically dealerships warranty the motorhome for only one year, but remember that many of your components (AC, TV, etc.) have longer manufacture warranties.

Almost any automotive or RV shop can run the codes for you, which will save a trip to a warranty shop if it is serveral miles away. Also you can buy a reader which works for both your motorhome and (newer) autos. I plan to do so.

By the way, the codes I mentioned in my first post. . .turns out MB just released a tech bulletin about the codes. I will post complete information when I get my motorhome back.

The tow truck driver managed to do $1,800 damage to my Solera, so it's now at an RV repair facility. Yes, the tow company is paying for it.
Yes, please post details to the TSB. MB holds a lot of that close to the vest.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
BadBob -- The codes were P14F200 and P11C300. MB of Chandler, Arizona then replaced the Air Mass Meter and cleared the codes. Several hundred miles later got the same codes again and MB of Eugene, Oregon said to not drive it the 125 miles from Bend, OR. At purchase, knowing the MB warranty shops were 180 miles from my winter home and 125 from my summer home, I did hesitate. Then I thought, hell, it's a Mercedes Benz engine. Hmmm.

Ok, who is up for a challenge. See if Sprinter owners can find out what exactly CEL P14F200 and P11C300 mean. And, if you do, please post a link to explain them. I gave up. Like I said, close to the vest these guys are.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Ok, who is up for a challenge. See if Sprinter owners can find out what exactly CEL P14F200 and P11C300 mean. And, if you do, please post a link to explain them. I gave up. Like I said, close to the vest these guys are.
I did find this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p-14200.pdf (189.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

I can.

One, or both of those, are the code(s) for which MB has issued the bulletin I mentioned earlier today. I first got both of those codes in Arizona and MB of Chandler replaced the Air Mass Meter. Then I got the same codes again and, at the advice of MB of Eugene, Oregon had my Solera flatbed hauled to their shop (warranty paid for the haul. Tow truck driver did $1,800 damage to the RV). Shop manager then called and said they just received a bulletin about these codes and it had something to do with an electronic part before the Air Mass Meter. Took them a few days to get one ordered.

The paper work is in my RV, which I will get back next week. I'll post what information.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I did find this.
Hats off. Can you let us in on your skills. Looks like a copy of a service invoice.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Hats off. Can you let us in on your skills. Looks like a copy of a service invoice.
I just did a Google search for the code and it did come up with a complete service invoice with customers name and all. Scary!!

Found a little info. on P11C300. Seems that it might be related to to a problem with injector rail, but have been unable to confirm.

There is a subscription site that has all the code meanings, but I have not subscribed.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:

What did the tow truck driver do that caused the damage?

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #17

Hit a tree limb, broke the antenna and AC cowling and damaged the the AC, which has to be replaced. The charge to the tow company includes a water pressure test of the roof to insure no leaks.

This is the second time I've had to have an RV towed. The first time was my 40' diesel pusher. That was damaged in transit as well.

Very frustrating.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Hit a tree limb, broke the antenna and AC cowling and damaged the the AC, which has to be replaced. The charge to the tow company includes a water pressure test of the roof to insure no leaks.

This is the second time I've had to have an RV towed. The first time was my 40' diesel pusher. That was damaged in transit as well.

Very frustrating.

Sorry to hear about the damage. I completely agree it's totally frustrating. I was worried about what damage I would find on ours after a month at the dealer waiting on warranty parts that still haven't arrived. The dealer suggested I contact FR to get them to send out the parts faster. I picked up our rig and will bring it back when the parts arrive. Anytime someone else is in control of your property its nerve racking.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

Engine light and loss of power

We have a 2012 Solera on MB sprinter chassis...on our trip to Ca the engine light came on and loss of power to @20 mph. Restarted engine and it then drove fine for about 150 miles, but light stayed on. Went to MB dealer and they updated the computer info and light went out. Drove for another 1k miles then light came back on and lost power to 20mph..stopped and started several times and would pick up speed for a couple of minutes then down to 20mph again...made it to a MB dealer in Birmingham...they replaced the fuel filter...has been running great all day on the way back to Fl...but after seeing all the comments in this and other forums, I'm not sure I trust it to stay fixed...anyone have any similar happenings and cures...sorry for the long post but we are completely at a loss! Thanks for any help!
Debbraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #20

What codes did the MB dealer in Birmigham find? I have heard that a faulty or old fuel filter can cause the RV to go into limp mode.

Tags
solera, towing