Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
Phil

Towing Honda FIT

Anyone using a roadmaster tow bar to tow a 2015 manual Honda FIT? Getting ready to have gear installed. What drop receiver will be needed? Anyone using the Invisibrake system?
Phil Kuebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Try this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=72412

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Drivestregis

I tow a 2015 Honda Fit EX. I use Roadmaster and Invisibrake. Very satisfied with rig.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:52 AM   #4

I tow a 2013 Fit Automatic with Roadmaster and Invisibrake with a 2015 Solera. Works excellent. I had Camping World install it.
jngspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #5

I did not need a drop receiver
jngspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

I tow a 2016 Honda HR-V, the Fit's slightly bigger brother (both made on the same assembly line...) I use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar with (I think) a four inch drop receiver. I'm using the SMI Stay-N-Play Duo braking system.

Dave
Old 01-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

A manual transmission HRV, I presume? I don't think the new variable transmission models are flat-towable. That's part of the reason I found a 2014 CRV to tow.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlakin View Post
A manual transmission HRV, I presume? I don't think the new variable transmission models are flat-towable.
Yup, the CVT models aren't towable. (One depressing consideration is that you can only get the roof rack rails with the top-of-the-line model...which only comes with the CVT. Ah well.)

Dave
Old 01-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
Phil

Thanks for replies, Talked to camping World and ordered parts (Roadmaster + Invisibrake). Should be set up before our next trip in March.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Phil

Well, I did have Camping World install the Roadmaster tow bar and Invisibrake, and they did a great job. Took longer than expected since the first Invisibrake they received was not working and company had to send a new one, which they did in short order. Seems to work great, but have 2 questions.

1), The FIT has a push button starter, and we left the key in the car since I was afraid taking it with me to the RV would turn off accessories and lock the wheels. Does anyone know if you can take the key fob out of the car so it can be locked while traveling, or do you have to keep it in the car while towing?

2) They did not use a drop down receiver and the tow bar is angled down a few inches to the car (no more than 2-3"). I noticed the front wheels look a bit depressed compared to the back (could be due to the weight of the stone guard installed). Do I need a drop down receiver to get the tow bar absolutely level with the car brackets?

Thanks in advance for any info
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #11

With my HR-V, I take the key / fob with me. I think it's the same system on the Fit, but I don't know that for certain.

I generally leave the key in the car, exit the driver's door, enter the passenger door, lock the doors, exit, and close the passenger door. I use the physical key (available in the key fob) to open the door when I'm done towing. I think the physical key may also be able to lock the driver's door once you're outside (to avoid the back and forth on the passenger side...)

Dave
Old 02-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #12

You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
With my HR-V, I take the key / fob with me. I think it's the same system on the Fit, but I don't know that for certain.

I generally leave the key in the car, exit the driver's door, enter the passenger door, lock the doors, exit, and close the passenger door. I use the physical key (available in the key fob) to open the door when I'm done towing. I think the physical key may also be able to lock the driver's door once you're outside (to avoid the back and forth on the passenger side...)

Dave
Simply use the physical key to lock the doors from either side - it will electrically lock all the doors. No need to do the back and forth thing.

For the OP - pushing the start/stop button once puts the car into accessory mode and unlocks the steering wheel. The system will power down in about 30 minutes or so on it's own, but will NOT lock the steering wheel. For those of us with Patriot (or similar) braking systems, we had to devise a 12VDC accessory port that is always powered - as the factory one in the vehicle is also depowered after the 30 minute time out. I learned this the hard way leaving on our first long trip...

We use a drop receiver on our 2015 Fit to get our Blue Ox towbar parallel with the ground. I expect the Roadmaster is the same.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing