Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Trailer brakes

Is anyone pulling a trailer(6x12) or so and are trailer brakes needed? Total weight is less than mfgr listed.

dogpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Is anyone pulling a trailer(6x12) or so and are trailer brakes needed? Total weight is less than mfgr listed.
6x12 single axle - usually no brakes needed. Tandem axle brake requirements need more much towing weight, what type of tow vehicle?

1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
Head Rambler
Just keep in mind that some states require trailer brakes on as little as a 1,500 lb trailer. It's best to check the states that you'll be towing in.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
I tow an "Open Road" two wheel trailer (Electric Brakes) with a Smart Car on it. I am really amazed how well the Solera handles-It's like it is not even back there. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller installed in the Solera for the trailer electric brakes. This works very well for my wife and I. Good Luck in your assessment.
2013 Solera "S"
Canyon Lake, Texas

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Here is a link to the AAA webpage listing requirements by state. You may need a breakaway system as well....
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
If you add the unit to an MBS- have an expert do it.
The electrical systems can be tricky and can cost you if you hook it up wrong.
My buddy tied into the brake switch and ended up blowing the ABS the tune of $1800.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
Should your weights be in line with the recommended hitch capacity and gross weight of your tow vehicle plus trailer plus cargo on trailer AND you need brakes on the trailer, research how to wire in a brake controller circuit elsewhere on this Forum. On our 2014 chassis Solera, its not an easy installation. On some prior models, there is a green connector under the driver's seat that facilitates the connection to an electrical braking system on your trailer.

Consider the alternative of a hydraulic disc brake actuated hitch assembly for your trailer. No special wiring issues and they work quire well. Previous to our current configuration, I used a tow dolly with hydraulically activated disc brakes.

Whatever braking solution you choose, please have your rig weighed at an official weighing station (CAT being common along freeways). Keep the print out with your registration should you be questioned by authorities. Knowing you're within the manufacturer's weight limits will give you peace of mind as well as documenting your compliance with regulations.

PS: For comparison purposes, we now tow a Smart Car (around 1800 lbs) wheels down without supplemental brakes on the car. No effect on handling and little if any on mileage.

MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote

brakes, trailer