Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

Transfer Switch location

Where is the automatic transfer switch located on a 2011 Solera?

Need specifics please from people familiar with the Solera.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

My understanding is that booster cables is all we got. No transfer switch allowed due to MB restrictions.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

Thanks, but I think you are talking about a boost switch to tie the coach batteries to the starter battery temporarily. I know we don't have one.

I am asking about the 120 volt transfer switch that isolates the generator from shore power and selects the correct one automatically.

If we have one, (electrically) it will be ahead of the converter and the AC distribution panel.

But where is it located in the Solera?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Don't know about the transfer switch, but I understand from an earlier thread that the converter is under the bed - also accessable by removing one of the panels on the back of the rear storage compartment. That is the first place I would look for the transfer switch.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #5

Found the converter. Transfer switch not apparent in the same area.

Anyone know where it is?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #6

It is located next to the water heater. I believe on my '12 it is zip stripped to the outside of the HW tank to secure it. If I have the right module, it measures approx 6" x 3", has a cream colored plastic cover. The bottom is exposed showing a PC board.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
2018 FR3 30DS

In my 2011 Solera, the transfer switch is directly above the fresh water tank. You have to remove the panel to get to it. The converter is above the water heater. You will see the shore power cables coming into it.

Someone mentioned jumper cables (and this has nothing to do with the transfer switch but good to know) is that in the engine compartment there is a red knob. You pull or push it to get to the metal connecter for positeve and on the right side of the engine is a rod sticking out and this is the negative connector used for jump starting.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

This is getting interesting. What does the transfer switch look like. If I'm mistaken, then what is the electrical device zip stripped to the outside of the hot water tank, some HW controller.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
2018 FR3 30DS

While facing the large cargo area, remove the panel directly in front (has a little door to access the fresh water holding tank drain valve). Directly above the fresh water tank is a metal box with at least two wires going into it. One is from the shore power and the other is from the Onan generator. Exiting the box are the wires that provide the Soleral with AC power. One wire goes to an ac outlet that the converter plugs into and the other goes to the fuse panel inside the Solera.
As for the little white box, I think that is for the circuit board controlling the water heater...may be mistaken on this but it seems logical with all the wires going in that direction.

This is how my Solera is wired and yours, I would think, would be similar...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Thanks. That sounds likely. Only had right side panel off. Will check above fresh water tank.

Will have to wait. Not at unit now
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_movin View Post
While facing the large cargo area, remove the panel directly in front (has a little door to access the fresh water holding tank drain valve). Directly above the fresh water tank is a metal box with at least two wires going into it. One is from the shore power and the other is from the Onan generator. Exiting the box are the wires that provide the Soleral with AC power. One wire goes to an ac outlet that the converter plugs into and the other goes to the fuse panel inside the Solera.
As for the little white box, I think that is for the circuit board controlling the water heater...may be mistaken on this but it seems logical with all the wires going in that direction.

This is how my Solera is wired and yours, I would think, would be similar...
Thanks Slowmovin. I'm guessing your right on the controller box zip striped to the HW tank as well. There are only low voltage wires going into that, so it must be a controller of sorts.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #12

Just another thought. Has anyone ever tried to go from the bed, after you remove the mattress. Not sure if the bed base uder the mattress is intergrated into the cabinet front, making it not an entry point. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #13

Think I got it. Its called a Direct Spark Ignition Module Board. Controls the spark to light the pilot for the gas side of the HW tank.

Tags
cat, location, transfer switch