Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
2012 Solera

Trip report

I did 2500 mi from North Idaho to Southern cal and back. The automotive part ran perfectly. a pleasure to drive. I did have my first experience with the DEF warning light that caught me by surprise but not a big deal when I learned what that is all about.

Caught lots of side winds but was satisfied with the upgraded sway bar that I had installed. There was some steering correction needed in a heavy gust but that would be expected with the high sides of the coach.

I'm disappointed in the performance of the air conditioner. Way too noisy and lacked cooling capacity after a few days of running. Going to have the refrigerant checked. Thinking about a replacement that has two speeds and is more quiet. Any one have a suggestion?

The shower door latch broke off while underway. not a surprise with such a cheesy plastic part. need a better solution.

All and all, the minor issues were to be expected on the first shake down run.

I think that the proven quality of the Mercedes Sprinter van gives me greater peace of mind when out on the road far from home. One hears horror tales about other types of mechanical contrivance.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

My AC will freeze you out of camper. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
2012 Solera

FYI: The dealer replaced the Dometic air conditioner. also, did some tweeks to the slide out. Good quick service. I hate to hear about "Not Bought Here" issues that seem to be the norm in the RV industry. I've been through that myself and cringe when I hear it.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Stay Classy San Diego

Did you have a sway bar installed first thing? How did you know you needed one? Do I? Sorry about the questions but I'm curious if I should add that to my 'need to get' list.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Did you have a sway bar installed first thing? How did you know you needed one? Do I? Sorry about the questions but I'm curious if I should add that to my 'need to get' list.
This is just me with limited experience. I've never driven a motor home before so I'm learning on the fly.

Please look up what others have said about sway bars on this forum. There are pros and cons.

I was alerted to the sway bar issue from some posted threads. The idea seemed to make sense to me.

My first trip out in side winds was an experience. I felt like I was really fighting to stay straight on the road. that got my attention.

I went with an upgrade to the existing sway bar. I bought one on-line and had it installed by a local garage for $65. Total cost about $230.

I definitely could feel a difference. I was in some side wind warnings in Nevada and felt pretty much under control.

I don't know if I would go for the auxiliary sway bar in front of the rear axle.
the cost does go up. I'm satisfied so far.

Something to be aware of but not afraid of.

Good travels.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #6

Our shower door latch broke on second trip. FR promptly sent a replacement that has held up for several months now. Wonder if there were some bad ones from the factory.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Shower door movement in transit fix

Cut a 3 /8 wooden dowl to 19 3/8 in. In length. Gently wedge dowl between the fixed glass panel and the inside of the aluminum grab point at the bottom of slide track. The dowel will be in a slight inclined position, but will supply pressure to allow the magnetic seal to function better when the rv sways. The door should have no gap at the close point prior to dowl installation.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

I 'm wondering on the sway bar, do you replace the one that on there or add to it? I noticed my Solera had a sway bar on it in the rear when I got it and I do get some sway in high wind but nothing to be too alarmed about.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I 'm wondering on the sway bar, do you replace the one that on there or add to it? I noticed my Solera had a sway bar on it in the rear when I got it and I do get some sway in high wind but nothing to be too alarmed about.
I replaced the factory sway bar. I thought it made a difference. There is an "Auxillary" sway bar that goes in front of the rear axle.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #10

Where you get the replacement sway bar from? Is it a heavier duty one?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Where you get the replacement sway bar from? Is it a heavier duty one?
I bought a Heilwig 1 1/2" dia.: 2008-2012 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Van - REAR Sway Bar (1 1/2 diameter) - 7254 | $149.95

see this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-23577.html