Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Unable to start RV

Help! I have my RV in storage for the winter. I did remove the 2 under-stair batteries, have them at home and I'm keeping them charged. I had not tried starting the RV for over a month now (it started and ran beautifully in January and February). When I tried to start it yesterday, the key would not even turn in the ignition!! I'm assuming the battery is discharged, but would this keep the key from turning??
Thanks for any info offered..................
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The steering wheel lock mechanism does that sometimes if it's like most vehicles. Try turning the steering wheel one direction or the other and see if the key will turn.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

If it has tilt, move the steering wheel up and down while turning at the same time. This will help release the steering wheel lock.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolera View Post
Help! I have my RV in storage for the winter. I did remove the 2 under-stair batteries, have them at home and I'm keeping them charged. I had not tried starting the RV for over a month now (it started and ran beautifully in January and February). When I tried to start it yesterday, the key would not even turn in the ignition!! I'm assuming the battery is discharged, but would this keep the key from turning??
The key hole is not on the steering column but on the dash. I would suggest trying to move your gear shift lever a little while turning the key. My Solera has done that in the past. Also, check fuse number 23 in the fuse box section under the steering column. That has also been a culprit in non starting events. Also, you might check your battery. I bought a device that you push in a cigarette lighter and it shows the battery voltage...cost about 5 dollars. You can use it also to check your coach batteries by plugging it in one of the 12v outlets in the coach.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolera View Post
Sometimes the steering wheel needs to be turned/rocked. It happens on my car all the time.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

Thanks to all who replied. When my cousin hooked up the battery to a charger, she was able to turn the ignition key (which is on the dash, by the way) So, I am still not sure what the battery has to do with being able to turn the key, but the problem is resolved for now!!
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

I picked up my new unit on the 10th. Drove it 1000 miles over a couple of days to get it home. The not wanting to crank happened to me twice. I feel the problem is with the unit being in park. I just wiggled the gear shift a little, and it cranked. Not sure if this is your problem or not.
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote