Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

Using jack stands?

I'm looking ahead to Winter and am wondering about putting my Solera up on jack stands to get the weight of the vehicle off of the tires. Looking for a little feed back about it.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I'm looking ahead to Winter and am wondering about putting my Solera up on jack stands to get the weight of the vehicle off of the tires. Looking for a little feed back about it.
You mean you don't intend to be camping all winter long??

I would think they would need to be a lot heavier duty than the ones I use for my cars, and put them on a board of some sort to keep them from sinking into the ground. I'd be constantly worrying about a wind blowing it off the jack stands and resulting damage underneath the chassis. Probably don't need to get it up to high, just barely clear the ground.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Would place the stands in such a manner so to take the weight off the suspension also. Nothing to worry about it being blown off jack stands. I agree with making sure the stands were on something solid.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

I'm looking at 10 -12 ton jack stands, the ones I've seen in ads look to be pretty solid and are recommended for the propose stated. I have the Solera parked on a concert pad next to the garage so no worry about sinking into the ground over the Winter. Ed, I only wish I could going camping over the winter. Starting to look like a long cold Winter coming up in Iowa.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I'm looking at 10 -12 ton jack stands, the ones I've seen in ads look to be pretty solid and are recommended for the propose stated. I have the Solera parked on a concert pad next to the garage so no worry about sinking into the ground over the Winter. Ed, I only wish I could going camping over the winter. Starting to look like a long cold Winter coming up in Iowa.
Well that is why that thing has wheels, time to head south for some time and get out of the cold and snow.

I have 2 sets of 6 ton jack stands and it would not bother me a bit to have the rig on them. I also have a concrete pad next to my shop for RV parking.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Ya! I see what you mean 6 ton is probably big enough considering the weight is distributed between the 4 jacks. Not like having all the weight on one jack.