Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Using the Solera in winter - Question

So I have read many of the threads on winterizing. I think I know what to do if we put the Solera in hibernation for the winter.

But here in Texas, we expect to use it often in the winter. What is the best way to deal with a mild freeze if you expect to use the unit in a few weeks and don't want to drain and antifreeze the unit?

I would like ideas on what I could do to deal with a short 2-3 day freeze in the mid 20's without sustaining any damage. Does the Arctic Pack protect the fresh water supply, as well as waste tanks? What about the lines? If connected to shore power, would it be best to run the heater at a minimal setting? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

I don't think I'd worry about anti freeze at those temps, I would drain or blow out the water lines however if not using the Solera for awhile. I think the artic pack takes care of all of the tanks not just the waste tanks.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

bclemens - hkreck brings up a good question. Does the arctic pack on my 2012 Solera protect the supply lines, or is it only for the waste tanks?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb
So I have read many of the threads on winterizing. I think I know what to do if we put the Solera in hibernation for the winter.

But here in Texas, we expect to use it often in the winter. What is the best way to deal with a mild freeze if you expect to use the unit in a few weeks and don't want to drain and antifreeze the unit?

I would like ideas on what I could do to deal with a short 2-3 day freeze in the mid 20's without sustaining any damage. Does the Arctic Pack protect the fresh water supply, as well as waste tanks? What about the lines? If connected to shore power, would it be best to run the heater at a minimal setting? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Good questions, we are in Alabama and will use the Solera every weekend, but on those really cold nights, should we turn on the artic pack? And can you run the heater when plugged into the house? (not a 30 amp)? I know we cant run the ac that way, but what about the heater? Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
GM

Arctic pack only heats the black and gray tanks. The fresh water is above the floor, water lines are run inside in cavities & cabinets. Blowing out the water lines would be a good idea. The biggest thing is make sure the water filter is empty. That seems to be the weak link...the water trapped in the "threaded area" of the cap, freezes first. Then the supply lines. Or if the unit is sitting and plugged in, is there anyway to put in a little space heater in there or run the furnace to keep it in the 50 degree range?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Thanks bclemens, for the insight on the fresh water tank, I did not realize that the tank IS above the flooring and not heated. Maybe that's something that should be pointed out in the coach manual? It doesn't cover much detail about the holding tanks.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
GM

It's that way on the 24S & 24R. The 24M it is between the main frame rails, below.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote